Kill Switch or Power Loop Plug

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

007clint

I understand that in Europe they require a Kill Switch or Power Loop Plug to quickly shut down the electric motor, if necessary. It sounds like a good idea on these 100+ amp speed set-ups.

Does anyone have any specifics or examples or pictures of how this is being done without causing unwarranted added resistance?

We used to have power loop plugs for all boats and they are still required for NAVIGA oval racing. The main reason is safty, another is handling of ready to race boats before the race: with the power loop plug (and using a BEC) you can tape your boat during the previous race without it beeing switched on and then still be ready to go within a second.

When using a BL system, power loop plugs are not required at SAW events in Germany anymore. But a reciever power plug or switch is mandatory. A power loop plug or switch could indeed cause problems of too long wires. But as BL controllers - especially high volt types - are operated by the reciever voltage, switching off the reciever power means switching off the BL controller as well. This stops the risk of spinning props in the rescue boat.

And in case the controller got an internal short in the power FETs, it all burns down or - if you are lucky - unsolders before you can pull the plug anyway.

Joerg

I've still had brushless controllers fail on, especially the Super V 27 controller. Below is a picture of the system on a mono.

Lohring Miller

I've still had brushless controllers fail on, especially the Super V 27 controller. Below is a picture of the system on a mono.
Lohring Miller
Here is picture from the kill switches:

noodstop.gif

Rulebook for FSR-E racing, see the last past about the kill switches: here (couldn't find it on the naviga site).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back