Kevlar .12 Rigger Project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pump that runs all the time at 8" vacume, I leave it on until I am ready to remove the part. I use a bag with quick lock seals at each end. Hmmmm... anything else? I will be making the other half of the mold tomorrow if you want more pictures I will take some.

-MikeP

I for one would like to every picture in the process. I think it is really interesting!

This is going to be interesting, I still think it's a little thin. I hope after the bulk heads and it's all joined together it forms a rigid structure.

weight before trimming is 1.5oz.

This mould looks a little thin - but really cool!!!

We have some rigger moulds here, they are about 5-8mm thick.

But I think yours will work and be stable enough.

Regards

Robert

Robert,

What size boats do you run with 5-8mm, I am at 4mm. I might do 2 layers of 1.7oz cloth and 1 of some Carbonkevlar 5.0 oz. I have laying around.

I am making the top half. I like to use clay to hold down the plug and keep epoxy from leaking under.

I have been using PVA on this last project after the mold release wax. I was told it's use is a black art. I dug out the old air brush and sprayed it on. You adjust the spray so that it doesn't spray wet. PVA goes on like water on wax. The parts come out real easy using this stuff.

Does anybody know how to wash it off after it's dry?

Mike,

Crank up your air pressure when you spray pva. Spray real lite mist coats. Let it dry thoroughly. It will take longer to dry in the lower parts of the mold. After you pop out your part, you can easily wash off the pva with warm soapy water.

Jr. Branham

Robert,

What size boats do you run with 5-8mm, I am at 4mm. I might do 2 layers of 1.7oz cloth and 1 of some Carbonkevlar 5.0 oz. I have laying around.

I am making the top half. I like to use clay to hold down the plug and keep epoxy from leaking under.
Our moulds are for .21 / .45 / .90 riggers. But I think a 4mm mould will be sufficient. You can add some aluminum-powder to your resin to make moulds more stable.

Here is a picture of our .90 mould.

That is some nice work.

Thanks for the pictures and info on making molds and fiberglass layups. I haven't seen to many boat molds. Information on this subject is hard to come by.

I will just keep plugging along, each time I learn a little more.

-MikeP

I have a couple of ideas but I am not sure what to do for front sponsons.

How about some ideas ???

I don't know if it's just me but those fronts look pretty small in comparison with the hull. :- What do you guys think? They sure work for Andy!

Hi Don,

Yeah thats what made me think of it, I remembered the record boat has tiny fronts, Might be about the right size for the Kevlar .12 ;)

Gene ;D

Back