k motors

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunnel290

Does any body run K motors, Russian built motors? If so how are they? Are they good motors?

I've got a junker sitting down in the basement if you're looking for one cheap! After blowing it up for the second time, it went into a box. It had a problem with tossing the needle bearings off the bottom of the con-rod and trying to pass them through the engine via the scenic route.

Others had better luck than I did. Bob Finn had one in his Sport 40 that lasted a long time until his went apart. If he sees this, I'm sure that he'll respond.

Some parts are very good. Andy sells their remote needle valves. I have to give them this much credit, they are good looking engines but I might have gotten a dud. What I had learned about the one that I had, is that it was illegally imported into the US and some were sold before the person was busted. It may have been a European version made for low nitro and I was pumping higher into it.

I've got a junker sitting down in the basement if you're looking for one cheap! After blowing it up for the second time, it went into a box. It had a problem with tossing the needle bearings off the bottom of the con-rod and trying to pass them through the engine via the scenic route.

Others had better luck than I did. Bob Finn had one in his Sport 40 that lasted a long time until his went apart. If he sees this, I'm sure that he'll respond.

Some parts are very good. Andy sells their remote needle valves. I have to give them this much credit, they are good looking engines but I might have gotten a dud. What I had learned about the one that I had, is that it was illegally imported into the US and some were sold before the person was busted. It may have been a European version made for low nitro and I was pumping higher into it.
I know Andy has run the engine and gives it a pretty good report. Their are some modifications that need to be done to it and I beleive the nitro needs to be about 40%. I have seen some guys run 67s in scale with pretty good luck and I have seen Andy run in the 90s with his 90. He has probably gone over 100 I am sure... I just witnessed 90 something myself. I have seen the 45 run but was not too impressed... but tend to beleive that was more due to the owner than the engine itself.

I had some 67's that ran pretty good until they went POW! Ran pretty good in my scale unthil the rod let go and blew a hole about the size of a quarter out the side of the case. Had another running good until a wrist pin keeper clip came loose and jacked up the head button and the top of the piston. Had another running very well in my 67 mono until it broke a crankshaft right behind the flywheel. They always seemed to run good and then a catastrophic end.

Needed... a Good K90 case..... Contact [email protected] It has been a great engine before it cracked the case under the ex port.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,

I have a crankcase.

I won US-1 in F-Hydro at the 1996 IMPBA Internats with the very first K-90 that was brought into the USA.

In 1998 I built a K-90 for Tony Grinter of Hobby Supplies in Australia. He put it in an 80 Eagle SG and set the first ever 100+ mph record in Oz.

The K-90 has won the 15 cc Hydro class at the World champs the last three times.

Currently only K-67's and K-82's are availible. I'm not sure when K-45's or K-90's will be availible again.

They are very precision engines. They tune a little differently than most engines, so they take a little getting used to.

The 45 was wicked fast in the sport 40 when we did some head work. When it started making real power, it broke the rod. We had three of them fail. I ran the 67 and 82 for 2-3 years with pretty good sucess. They have to have the wrist pin and needles changed out to be reliable. We broke several wrist pins in half. I put CMB wrist pins and needles in mine. The machining and quality of mfg is beautiful, and I understand they have now fixed the wrist pin problem. They require care and maintenance, but they make big power. I recently sold a large batch of them to Tom Pretzfeld. He might have something if you are looking. I agree with Andy that they tune differently than most engines, and require a different setup.

Latest posts

Back