K&B Sleeve Mods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re:K&B Sleeve Mods

YEP ITS TRUE, You can get 5-10 MPH out of a good prop, It takes alot of time to thin, and cup, and cut, and then test, and test, and cut and trim, and balence, and test, to your liking.

then dammit, you hit a turtle.

that just pisses me off, its not the $10-20 prop, its the 3-5 hours into it.

I have taken a stock 462 prop, started at 44, same piple length, and tuning, and did the sharpening and balencing of it, and cuped it alittle more, and am running a steady 48 now.

course sharp props do BITE HARDER than stock ones.

if all else you need to balence them firstly before running them.

NT

To me one follows the other :D

Ya mod the sleeve to get more revs and then ya thin and cup the prop to make use of it,

Gene ;D

I have a couple mores cents to throw into the discussion. :p To continue with the discussion of removing material from inside the crankcase and possibly from the outside of the sleeve. There is a process called "packing the crankcase". Meaning, to minimize the area inside the crankcase. The less area encourages better fuel draw on the engines up stroke,

and rams the fuel vapors into the combustion chamber on the down stroke. And with the help of a tuned pipe to draw them gases out, Ooooweee, Katie bar the door ;D.

Ha,Ha

Jack ya crack me up ;D

Hold her Newt, She's headed fer the barn!!!!! ;)

Please let me or us know what the performance gain is on that.

Have you done speed tests yet with them mods verses stock?
NT. Since I have some stock sleeves, I'll give it a shot and will post.. The tests will need to wait until I get a GPS so speeds test can be done correctly.. :D

As for my prop skills, yes, they are lacking fer sure.. :-[ If I raced, then more attention would be paid to them.. However, I do make sure they are balanced and the leading edge is sharp.. I do not make them 'thin' as been posted out here.. Never heard of making a prop thin either.. I'm such a llama :p Guess I need to sit down and do some 'custom' work on a few to see how it is done..

Mark

OB Nut Racing: Props? I don't need no stink'n Props! ;D

Mark , one word of warning about thinning blades, its a touchy thing. I only thin the last third of the sweep of the blade, I smooth up the hub and remove any casting flaws sharpen and balance.

For a EXCELLENT example, just order up one of your favs from Andy Brown and then use it for your reference. Too thin and they will blow apart at speed, Ugly, Real Ugly!!!!

Gene ;D

Gene,

Thanks for the info.. Before I go with a AB prop, it's dumb quesion time... :D

Let's hear the thoughts on what is the best way to thin out a blade?? I've got a dremel & mini files.. Combo of both? Start with dremel and finish with files?? ??? Obviously, complete it with wet/dry paper.. Help this llama out.... ;)

Thanks,

Mark..

OB Nut Racing: I have a need for SPEED ;D

You may not believe this but I start out with the belt sander :eek:

then work my way down with finer grit polishing to smooth it all up. it is a cumbersome process for sure. I wish I knew how Andy gets his blades so perfectly thin. It almost looks like there are machining marks on the prop when you get them, but that would be almost impossible to machine a prop like he does, without atleast a five axis mill machine........I doubt Andy has one of these.

If you ask me, I would rather pay 40.00 - 50.00 dollars for a prop worked by him or someone comparable and then tweak the pitch / cup / diameter myself, than to have to fight thinning out blades and sharpening.

~ james

I also start out with a belt sander, I dont take them down as thin as AB does.

But like barr cutting and taking the leading edges off.

bar cuts will give you alittle more RPM with a bigger prop, leading edge cut down will free it up more.

I dont pitch them much, or cup them much.

normally get a bigger prop and cut it down.

I forget what that tip is called that andy uses to do his, but his props are pretty.

I normally finish with a sanding disk and then to 400 grit for the polish it up.

Mark if your going to do props, WEAR A DUST Mask, the octura as bad for your health. read the warning on the package, and then see if you still want to grind and sand them.

NT

NT what tip are you refering to? what machine does he use? do you know?

Its a round tip to go like on a dremel tool.

**** i cant remember what its called, Its more of a presion grinding bit,sander.

I will say, i have had good luck with the little sanding disks for the dremel you screw down on the stud and sand, I double them up tho, to make them last alittle longer, gives a nice finish and removes the file and sand marks.

I will have to look and see if i have that pic of what AB Uses.

dont think i do anymore.

SOMEONE has to know, theres a websight for it tooo.

I have had good sucess with the little "brillo" looking pads that goes on the mandrel with the screw going in the middle. they come in different roughnesses. ~ james

Belt sander? Stand up? ??? I currently have a belt/disc combo myself. Figuring this might work, but I'll have to be very carefully while using it. Gloves will be a must ;)

NT.. Yea, I've seen the warnings.. Seems like everything is cancer causing agent to California!! Look on the back of a MC9 card... Somewhere, someone posted a web site dedicated to beryllium and it's problems. We have charcoal masks at the house, so I'd be using that when doing props.

Brillo pads?? Is this for use on an air tool?? Normally used to remove old gaskets?? Got them also!!!!! ;D

Any more ideas?? ;)

Mark

OB Nut Racing: I see dust in my future ;D

Here is a pic of the bit I use to do alot of the finishing on the prop it gives a similar look to the AB prop.

OBnut, yep the small stand up type. I have one with a 4" belt and a 6 inch disc. there is one place where the belt is that does not have the metal backing the belt, this is a good place to put the prop because the belt tends to conform with the shape of the prop.

YES please where gloves!!!, I almost lost my thumb due to sharpening a prop. I even had gloves on! cut right through to the bone. where some good thick leather gloves. 8 stitches and a bent prop later I learned my lesson. ......that was gonna be a great prop too ;D

Say someone had a screwdriver with a 3/16" shank. Cut the tip off and thread it. Slide an old drive dog on and they would have a really nice prop holder.

Whatcha think?

TF..

Man, now I have to buy another sander... Mary won't like that :p :D ;D Thanks for the gif.. Question,, was that when you were young and stupid or old and wise??? ;D

PJ.. I was thinking along the same lines.. : :) Ohhh, someone please stop the world, I need to get off!!

Mark..

OB Nut Racing.. Twice I've agreed with PJ in public! ;)

Yep it does work good I did just that. But it makes it really hard to work on the belt sander with it unfortunately. It is great when it comes to finalizing the prop and polishing.

Not disagreeing with ya PJ, just sharing my experience ;D

(ive never had the chance to pick on ya PJ)

I have never claimed to be the "old and wise" portion of that saying...... only problem is im getting older FAST. So I gues Im in the transition between young old stupid and wise......yep its official............. I have no idea

OBNut, Can I get off on that stop with you?

~ james

TF - sure thing.. Come on aboard... Or is that off???

PJ.. OOPPPSSS,, should have posted on the PJ Thrash'n thread...

Well, since the world revolves around me...I'll stop it so you BOTH can get off! ;D

Back