K&B Sleeve Mods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re:K&B Sleeve Mods

Well being one of the elder's here, 49 and holding, let me say this, BELT SANDER!!!!!!

Sheeesh you guys have got guts fer sure!!! Ha,Ha,

I believe the tool Andy uses is called a Radiac ( high speed rotary grinder) with a Teardrop burr

( tear drop shaped high speed grinding bit) correct me here if I am wrong ;)

Me I just use files and some sandpaper and a sanding drum on a Dremel for the casting flaw chores,

Gene ;D

He,He, You guys are sumpin!!! ;)

No PJ you cant have my Bud Lite :p

Gene ;D

I have to say, I use the belt sander to get it down some, then alot of hand filing to sharpen, YOU have to becarefull when there sharp, I DO NOT use sander, beltsander, dremel when there sharp, And i do have a wooden handle with a drive dog to hold it when im working on it. keeps fingers from getting sore and most of all cut.

So you have to be old to be wise?

well just call me stupid ;D ;D Some day I will reach the peak and 9 years later be at 49.

Some one say BEER HERE???

and Gener, I beleive thats the tool andy uses on his props. There some where out there in the world of the web, theres a websight.

cant find it tho.

Old to be Wise?

Well more like it takes longer to heal up afterwords :D

Nah I have seen some sharp younger dudes lately,

Some of the stuff they do on Extreme Sports is outta this world!!!!

BURP!!!!!

Hey where did my beer go? Dang it, I hate it when that happins ;)

Gene ;D

hey guys. they won't tell me how, but after collecting pieces of info here and there i'm fairly certain the browns use flexible abrasive wheels or cones that are made of 3M's scotch-brite material. not small like a dremel, but more like a grinder/buffer size. the scotch-brite wheels are expensive and hard to find in a size that will fit a home shop type 6" bench grinder.

i've had really good results using 6" coarse and fine wire wheels on a bench grinder. get them at your hardware store for about $6. thinner wheels are the easiest to use like 1/2" or even only 1/4" wide if you can. they quickly and easily remove metal for thinning and balancing the blades, and are great for deburring casting flaws and smoothing the whole prop including the hub. no hand filing or sanding is necessary and you get a nice uniform satin finish. a prop holding tool and goggles are mandatory though! last i use a hand file to make the trailing edges a sharp corner and a small handheld carbide knife sharpener to finish 'em up. sharp enough to shave with. power tools rule! ;D

OK Guys, after reading this a few times myself, i find that i am lost as to what the terms are when talking about modding the sleeves/pistons and the internals of the motor! so does anyone have a diagram which explains what each part is and what can be done to it :)

Glad Kris could bring us back on track, Sence we got on the prop mods.

Kris the sleeve is the sleeve that is under your head of your motor, that comes out and there you go, its copper on the outside and crome on inside, when grinding, DO NOT GRIND THE CROME, Just the outside to shape it better. Ummm trust me, will have to buy a new P/S ;D. Learned from my nitro truck days.

But if you look at the engine, you can see the exhaust port, next to it is them snerial (wrong) ports, and opposite is the boost port.

As far as what to do, just clean up going into them, if there shaped already, dont change the angle of the snerial ports, just round them out.

I dont think anyone brought this up, but i have skirted the piston also on a few engines, right at the boost port, seems to get alittle more out of it.

But i checked out my AB Motor, When he mods the motor, he does NOT touch around the sleeve ports, But Soooooooooooooooo sence he knows SPEED, does them mods really and truely help??

well he ADDS ports in the sleeve and piston.

NT

Hey, this is my thread!! :D Take anywhere we want!!! Anyway, I always called the ports: exhaust, by-pass (transer - side ports) and intake.. Am I off?? (there's a loaded statement!) ;)

Since I have a few 3.5 sleeves yet to be touched, I'll check out each mod after a new boat and purchase of a GPS unit. It may be awhile, but it is something to look at ;D

Mark

OB Nut Racing: It's all about SPEED baby :)

Hi Guy's

Just my $0.02

The port oposite the exhaust is the loop scavenge port,

The ports either side of it are scnerule (sp) scavenging ports (german engineer design) and the port in the shaft is the intake port (crank port, inlet port, etc)

The ports in the piston skirt and through the liner are called sub-piston induction ports and have a couple of design features - they cool the base of the piston, they allow additional mixture in to the ports when they are beginning to close. I'll have a go at explaining this - when the piston travels downwards it attempts to compress the mixture in the crankcase and forces it up the ports - piston ports closed at this point and not interferring with compression of the mixture, as the piston starts to rise there is a low pressure at the bottom of the piston drawing in fresh mixture - the piston ports then allow the new mixture to pass in to the transfers from the crankcase and join the already travelling mixture in the ports - increasing mixture density and velocity. They are timed to close just as the transfers close. At this point they effectively also increase the crankcase volume allowing additional mixture to be drawn in.

I'm not 100% about this explanation but this is the way I understand it to work.

Something to think about anyway.

GT ;D

So in short, what your saying is the nitro motor works just like a 2 stroke/ weeder motor?

Now i know why my boats are so slow. Kept trying to get them to 4 stroke. chug chug chug,

Nice explaniton on the engine theory GTR.

that pretty much sums it up.

I know on my Tmaxx .15 engine, (stock and OS) depending on how the motor is made and done at factory, you can get alot more power, or very little.

the stock traxxis engine pro 15 woke up alot with a port job, and turbo cut crank, but the OS had a very slight increase with porting of sleeve.

So every engine manf is different on how much they leave for porting. Some work good and some dont do much.

You will know when you do it or not if it was a big increase or not. Im sure it helps the K&Bs alot.

NT: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO just leave it stock

Hi Guy's

If anyones interested I can provide a simple explanation of what and why scnerule (sp) port motors work - as I only understadn simple explanations myself. LOL :eek:

cheers

GT ;D

ps. old timers will already know all this stuff but hey the newby's don;'t even know about crossflow motors. LOL

Guys,

Since ya'll are going to grind and polish on props.

A good model boating friend, (Norm Teague, throttle man on the old Powerboat magazines offshore boat) clued me in on a super good way to grind and polish. He used an abrasive wheel on his bench grinder. They come in different grits and don't remove material as fast as a belt sander causing boo boos.

This will be the one time I agree with P.J.

It's 'SCHNUERLE'

I just wanted to commit that to record ;D

Thank you for the correct spelling.

I must of failed that part of school. ;D ;D

angled ports?? Will that work, cause i still cant spell it.

Thanks for all the info.. Now to go shopping... Currently, the LARGEST YARD SALE is happening just down the road.. The US 127 YARD SALE is occuring.. Believe this starts in north'n Kentucky and continues down into Tenn.. All along US 127.. Started yesterday and will end next Saturday... Doubt I'll find any cool boat equipment though. Looking for grinders / sanders / etc...

Mark

OB Nut Racing: To finish first, first you must finish... ;D

OBnut,

What do you know about finishing? How can you finish something you don't even start? Speaking of starting, have you looked into your IMPBA district to see if there's a club near you?

Snowdog

Team Snowdog: Looking to pass the racing bug onto others.

WOW OB NUT, Thats one hell of a garage sale.

My god tho, every redneck and hillbilly will be comming out of the woodwork for it tho.

That would be nice to do one time in my life.

if you see any good stuff, let me know. ;D ;D ;D

NT

Snowdog,

You do have a point. :p In the two IMBPA races I attended, never finished a heat race :-[ That's what not having a club nor a place to practice at does for one :'( But, if you want to talk about 1/10 scale on-road or offroad, I have several trophies and plaques. Even held some track records at a few places... :D

Mark

OB Nut Racing: IMPBA District #14 - No clubs

Back