K&B 3.5 SX question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
racer504 said:
Brian_Nelsen said:
Actually I make the prop shafts Grim Racer sells. Grim is the USA distributor so contact him for the propshaft assembly. It will out last the factory unit even if you never lube it.
The lube you are using is fine its what I use and have for years. With any prop shaft assembly you need to make sure you lube both the flex shaft and the prop shaft. Even with the fine materials we use in our prop shaft assemblies lack of lube is a killer. Remember they run in water which is abrasive. Some people have started plugging the holes in the lower unit at the propshaft end to stop the water from entering the lower unit. This is fine as long as you have some way to lube both of the flex shaft and the propshaft.

Keep it cowl side up

Brian

109083[/snapback]

Brian, Thanks for your info . I've got a propshaft coming form Grimracer as you recomended. I would like to know what the normal life is on these shafts and should I be lubing the shaft before every run? Also, Is lubing the cable after each session sufficient? Thanks, Mike

109233[/snapback]

It is essential that you lube the propshaft and flexshaft after every run. Thats what most if not all of us in my area do. It is just good practice, it also makes sure that the wear on drive system is keep to a minimum. Lubing the cable and propshaft takes only a few second if done with liquid lube injected into a small hole in the top plate of the lower unit. In addition to the holes at the propshaft assembly end. I usually inject the lube at the top first until the lube comes out the hole by the propshaft. Then I inject a little into the hole that is closest to the drive dog or back of the unit. Lubing the the flex cable as I do also give the lower PTO bearing on the engine a little extra lube.

I have my units on my boats, my 7.5 boat just got a new one after 3 years and my 3.5 boat still has a four year old unit on it. I have had a few people wear them out but most people get a full season or two out of them even with a modest lubrication schedule. When someone wears one out very quickly I usually work with them to find what went wrong and if the problem is from materials or workmanship I replace it. I had one a few weeks ago that I had the customer send back to me. The unit was worn but not like a K&B unit gets after a few runs. The problem was lack of lubrication and unbalanced propellers. Anyway I am rambling here. Just remeber if you have a problem contact Grim or myself and we will do what we can to work it out. There are about 150 of this and another unit I build out there and we have had 5 failures for various reasons.

You will find the customer service with Powersurge Racing and my company does not end when the bill is paid.

Thanks

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Back