K&B 3.5 RODS ???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterbug

K&B 3.5 RODS ???

Can someone tell me the better rods available for the KB 3.5 WC MOD. ?? From what I understand the stock tubular rod is junk ????

Could someone point me in the right direction ???

I understand RPM rods are hard to come bye !!! Are they out of production ??? Aeromarine ??

THANKS FOR ANY HELP !!

Re: K&B 3.5 RODS ???

Hello

In the last 2 years I have run about 15 gallons of 60% nitro fuel through 2 K&B 3.5ss outboards with the stock tubuler rods and never had a failure. One engine was a stocker and the other was piped and had some other mods. The stock rods are fine . I did snap a crankshaft in two but with enough oil in your fuel and good afterrun maintenance I think the tubular rods are great. I run Red Max fuel with 18% oil and I add another 2% of castor to bring it to 20%. Watch the rod bushings for wear and change if the clearance on the crank pin becomes to much. Works for me.

Martin

Martin

Thanks for the info that is just what I was after. Just some first hand experiance with the rods .

I add caster to all my fuels ever since I destroyed a plane engine with pipe 15 years ago !!!

I learned an $$$$$ lesson !!!! I will not forget . :'(

When K&B first came out with the round rod it did not have a bushed lower end. There were problems with this rod if you tended to run a little on the lean side. They did not hold up very well. There was so many failures that K&B went to the bushed rod. The first one I had lasted four years in my 3.5 stock tunnel. There is nothing wrong with these rods.

Mike

Mike thanks, that makes me feel better about the rods. Thats what I like about these forums ;D

I'll second Mike's experience. I'm still runnng the same rod that came with the K&B 3.5 that I won at the 1999 Nationals. I've raced it continuously since then in both the stock and modified classes without problems.

Lean runs mean too little oil as well as too little fuel. That is probably the biggest cause of rod failure where there is enough big end clearance. The only solution is the steel needle bearing rod favored in many of the better, larger engines. The needle bearings work with less oil than bushings.

Lohring Miller

Latest posts

Back