Just my View from the Sidelines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe since Andy K is hinting about a 32cell BL controller, you can hit him up for a 4cell with BEC. The hard part is they usually run off microcontrollers. Those normally require 5v or so. That means you have to include a voltage doubler or something. Andy does it with his brushed controllers, so he could probably do the same for BL.

Lobby the manufacturers........

Gene

Maybe since Andy K is hinting about a 32cell BL controller, you can hit him up for a 4cell with BEC. The hard part is they usually run off microcontrollers. Those normally require 5v or so. That means you have to include a voltage doubler or something. Andy does it with his brushed controllers, so he could probably do the same for BL.

Lobby the manufacturers........

Gene
An added problem there is that there needs to be at least a small market for the product.

Andy already stopped making 4 cell brushed controllers because there was no market. :'(

I run 4 cell. I like the class. The problem is, I only know one race site that includes a 4 cell class.

It looks like 4 cell racing is flatlining!

I think you are right on with this statement Kevin. At the NAMBA Nationals the last 2 years there was minimum interest. I believe in the 4 cell hydro class this year they ended up with only 2 entries (not even enough to make it a legal class. I don't believe this is something new at least from what I have seen there has never been a lot of interest in the class. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying there is anything wrong with 4 cell racing just that there is little interest in it.

A side note here as the rules are now BL setups in 4 cell classes are not legal (at least in NAMBA). Brushed motors with ferrite magnets only.

Larry Larson

Guess it was really meant as a beginner's class. If find it really fun though. Fairly high speeds, and you only have 4 cells to tweak. I have thought of getting a LM Neo can, or trying to make my own BL controller. I haven't researched that yet.

Maybe since it's not popular in ovals, they could open up the rules a little so that you could use Neo's in the SAWs. Then again, maybe that would also bring back it's popularity in ovals. Higher speeds are always popular, right?

Gene

Thanks Larry, I did not know this.

Steve

A side note here as the rules are now BL setups in 4 cell classes are not legal (at least in NAMBA). Brushed motors with ferrite magnets only.

Larry Larson

Patrick got 51 mph out of the ferite magnets if that is not fast enough then what would be. In most oval racing you are not going 51 mph now.

It is alot easier to throw in more cells then to tweak your motor and esc to go faster. That is why higher cell classes are more poplular.

Patrick got 51 mph out of the ferite magnets if that is not fast enough then what would be. In most oval racing you are not going 51 mph now.

51 MPH out of 4 cells is absolutely amazing and I applaud Patrick for his efforts and success. But you are not comparing apples to apples here Ray.

There is not any class that is running ovals anywhere close to what the SAW record for that class is. 99 MPH in S Hydro on an oval the thought of it makes my heart race but it just isn't going to happen. Likewise with 51 MPH out of a 4 cell rigger. I guess what would be fast enough depends on the individual and their skill level although skill level sometimes is ignored by people who have no business in higher cell count classes when they can't control their 4 cell boats. Happens way too often in my opinion. But much like the rest of this hobby it comes down to different strokes for different folks. Probably why we have an extreme number of classes not necessarily good or bad but part of the reason for the class overload I believe.

Yeah, I used to be the type to throw tons of cells in a boat, but now I find I like to tweak the little things to get to the same speeds. I have been very impressed with my four cell. Not quite as fast, but just as much fun as my 18-24cell boats were.

Gene

You look like a hidden agenda to me. The same old song and dance, it never ends.

Steve
First, my appreciation to those folks that have altered the direction of this thread, and I fully appreciate the path it is currently on, and I encourage you to do so!!! :) At the same time, I feel it necessary to reply to one or two earlier posts..... :)

Geez, Steve, when are you going to stop the paranoia? It never ended, it never began, does that make sense? I sell nothing to the masses, I only have sold a few tid bits in the RRH Swap Shop, and trust me, I lost plenty of that on shipping... :) When you buy something from a small business, you're buying into the person that owns that business, and I'm very picky.

My only "agenda" (hidden or not) is that I like messing around with FE boats.

I'm not a "major competitor", and I'm not on anyone's team. I do boats because I want to. I make no money, but I do spend $$$ towards the hobby. Not often to the major players, but I'm a "DIY" kind of person.

I'm not hinting around anything, my ID is Zippifried on the RRH Forums. I had suspected that any who had read my posts would be able to identify my style and name as easily, as I received a msg while setting up an account, something about the mail server not responding correctly (and having read the msg about problems on this board, I thought nothing of it).

Also, I have received exactly ONE email regarding this thread to the email address I posted (positive), and I think that says something.. :) As I only posted an email address that is free, Steven V thinks I'm being deceptive. I have a tendency not to mix my "real address" with the possibilities of SPAM. My apologies if anyone was not sure of who I am. The problem with the login prevented me from using the same ID as a guest (Zippifried).

Now you know, and you have an email address you CAN reach me at, any comments? :)

I'm for the good of the hobby, as this hobby is something at present that I "like" to do in my spare time, I think they call that a hobby! ;) hahahah (joking re last part)

Tom, love your quote at the side.... :)

Take Care,

Paul

I said that because I have no clue who you are, that's all.

I will no longer be visiting the other board, can't take the chance of copyright violations ya know. : :)

thanks

Steve

You look like a hidden agenda to me. The same old song and dance, it never ends.

Steve
First, my appreciation to those folks that have altered the direction of this thread, and I fully appreciate the path it is currently on, and I encourage you to do so!!! :) At the same time, I feel it necessary to reply to one or two earlier posts..... :)

Geez, Steve, when are you going to stop the paranoia? It never ended, it never began, does that make sense? I sell nothing to the masses, I only have sold a few tid bits in the RRH Swap Shop, and trust me, I lost plenty of that on shipping... :) When you buy something from a small business, you're buying into the person that owns that business, and I'm very picky.

My only "agenda" (hidden or not) is that I like messing around with FE boats.

I'm not a "major competitor", and I'm not on anyone's team. I do boats because I want to. I make no money, but I do spend $$$ towards the hobby. Not often to the major players, but I'm a "DIY" kind of person.

I'm not hinting around anything, my ID is Zippifried on the RRH Forums. I had suspected that any who had read my posts would be able to identify my style and name as easily, as I received a msg while setting up an account, something about the mail server not responding correctly (and having read the msg about problems on this board, I thought nothing of it).

Also, I have received exactly ONE email regarding this thread to the email address I posted (positive), and I think that says something.. :) As I only posted an email address that is free, Steven V thinks I'm being deceptive. I have a tendency not to mix my "real address" with the possibilities of SPAM. My apologies if anyone was not sure of who I am. The problem with the login prevented me from using the same ID as a guest (Zippifried).

Now you know, and you have an email address you CAN reach me at, any comments? :)

I'm for the good of the hobby, as this hobby is something at present that I "like" to do in my spare time, I think they call that a hobby! ;) hahahah (joking re last part)

Tom, love your quote at the side.... :)

Take Care,

Paul

Latest posts

Back