Joseph A Sparr memorial race, Baltimore boat club

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mostly just having fun with it, but i am also looking at the calender, 3 weeks is kinda tight for a change of venue. especially if it's one we've never run before..........

i just messing with u mopar :lol: :lol: :lol:

i am wanting to race also :p :p :p

Tim and i both left another message with the lady who is in charge of the Cenntennial lake and her secretary said she will respond with an answer tomorrow( Wednesday). We are actively seeking some orange fencing to section off the lake to keep the tree huggers happy. Fellas say your prayers tonight and may the boating gods smile on this woman tomorrow!!!!

Tim and i both left another message with the lady who is in charge of the Cenntennial lake and her secretary said she will respond with an answer tomorrow( Wednesday). We are actively seeking some orange fencing to section off the lake to keep the tree huggers happy. Fellas say your prayers tonight and may the boating gods smile on this woman tomorrow!!!!
Just got off the phone with Tim Clark, the prez. of the Balt. club, they gave the big thumbs down, they stated 3 weeks is not enough time to prepare for us (funny as we always do all the work). It also seems there are new players in place in the park management but there is a very good chance that we will race there next year. So, if any of you know a good rain dance .....

............ it's time to start dancin' yur azz off! :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmmmmmmmm theres always cheasapeake ;)i can talk to da family :lol:

charles has the contact info for cove lake. is 3 weeks enough time the 'certify' a site for santioned events? steve spear and william whetstone and i will try to get together to practice there this sunday. but that won't give a "group" opinion on the site until sun. pm or early mon.

this bites. :( :( :( i went threw alot to get that weekend off work.hope we get dumped on for rain or have somewere else we can race.

If your district powers to be will agree your final race can be associated with ours. Associated points will be given to the proper district. Just a thought to offer.
This is a nice offer, but I don't think it's fair to subject people to a last minute date change, not to mention a significant difference in travel plans, for a second year in a row. As you can see, people have made arrangements for a specific weekend.

I know it is a major disappointment for a race to get cancelled for any reason and my condolences are offered.
If your district powers to be will agree your final race can be associated with ours. Associated points will be given to the proper district. Just a thought to offer.
John-

First- the race has not been canceled yet as I am still working on this situation. Any official cancellation or re-location notice will come from me.

Second- As I already told you as district director using your race for the D12 final points race was not a viable option, it is a 6 1/2 hour drive from here & I have a good number of active racers 2-3 hours north of me. Again I really appreciate the offer.

Thanks for the offer John. If we don't have a race it won't be the end of the world as some might think. Who knows, the hurricane off the coast might come fill up the pond.

Thanks for the offer John. If we don't have a race it won't be the end of the world as some might think. Who knows, the hurricane off the coast might come fill up the pond.
Lets all do a serious rain dance and hope the lake fills up with enough water to hold the race at Greenbriar. This has been a very competitive racing season in D12 and its been great to see the large turn outs for most all of the races. The 150 to 200 boat turn outs are a positive sign that our hobby is growing again in D12.

Don,any ideas.what about your area of the woods? :unsure:

if had someone with me to go to cuttingham falls we probally could have had another place.it is about same distance give or take couple miles.
has d-12 held races here before? i think i remember :blink: william telling me you had. won't swear to it, though-this CRS is tough. if so, it's only about 35 to 40 miles further north in Md. just a thought, hopefully another option. i see frederick lake mentioned, i am assuming 'cunningham falls' is different, being in thurmont, md., and a state park.

frederick is a big hassel with the soccer cry babies.cuttingham falls has never been cleared to race on with park rangers.

cuttingham falls is very nice place.need to have someone head of club or higher that knows what to ask and knows alot about setting up the racing program there.

ok, so cunningham falls is like cove lake, a potential site, just never approved by impba? or, approval from the parks dept., also, as i understand it. would it be both possible and advisable to get alternate sites "certified", even if we don't use them? with the issues surrounding this race, and other clubs having to cancel races because of water levels, it would seem to me to be a good idea. or, can't we get a site approved without a race date/intentions to use it. having alternate sites available would appear to be thinking ahead, imo. i have another site in winchester (private lake-no soccer moms or tree huggers), that i'm working on. maybe not as convenient as the baltimore or dc clubs would like, but i live out here, so that's where i'm looking. people, i have had MUCH better luck with privately owned ponds/lakes, rather than public water. no general group to please, usually just one person/family. look at maps, get up and go knock on doors. the worst they can do is say no, i haven't been beaten up once, yet :p :lol: :lol: . if you go to the front door, be polite and HONEST about our boats, i find that most people are friendly-even if they don't let you run there. if impba allows them, we should ALL be out beating the bushes for possible alternate sites. the situation we face now with water levels could be avoided that way. if nothing else, you may find a private practice pond :ph34r: close to home. i've found 3 in 1 month. but only because i got kicked off my first pond. if not for that, i probably never would have looked. think ahead, you never know what tomorrow may bring.

Hmmm, somebody's rain dance might be working. There is a freshly formed tropical disturbance that has developed off of the US southeast coast near Bermuda & it is moving slowly north by northwest. NOAA says it may be upgraded to tropical depression later today-

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIADS...ml/071242.shtml?

Hmmm, somebody's rain dance might be working. There is a freshly formed tropical disturbance that has developed off of the US southeast coast near Bermuda & it is moving slowly north by northwest. NOAA says it may be upgraded to tropical depression later today-http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIADS...ml/071242.shtml?
We've been watching that for a couple days. We're all hoping it heads west enough to give us some much needed rain, but so far, the path doesn't seem clear...

Hmmm, somebody's rain dance might be working. There is a freshly formed tropical disturbance that has developed off of the US southeast coast near Bermuda & it is moving slowly north by northwest. NOAA says it may be upgraded to tropical depression later today-http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIADS...ml/071242.shtml?
We've been watching that for a couple days. We're all hoping it heads west enough to give us some much needed rain, but so far, the path doesn't seem clear...
Iwouldn't bet the farm on that storm being enough to fill the lake up base on how low it is at present. I think you better get the hole D12 tribe to do a rain dance to fill that lake up! Then there is the problem of slip- sliding away down da hill to launch da boats once ya get all of da rain. Us F.R.O.G.S. are gonna need and escalator just to get up and down that darn hill. I think I am gonna just pass on da race and wish for da best for da rest of da D12 tribe. Good Luck at da race as youin's are gonna need it.

Back