JD WOF 29

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't get many Chevy trucks "down under" but there are a few around. GM down here is called Holden, and they push the Isuzu trucks instead of the chev's. Ford sell the F series trucks tho'.

Grim, your truck looks cool - saw the pic's on your site.

GTR - why haven't you entered your tunnels in the Nat's? It's not too late to enter if you ask the secretary!!!!!

Tim

Let me see.. If i enter my boat then i will have to enter another boat. Then i will have to get a hotel and plane ticket. OK this is not to bad..

HOWEVER.. If i do not buy at least two more tickets then the frying pan that is stuck in my head would never make it pass the metal detectors in the airport. :eek: Also my 14 year old is boy crazy right now :-* and she would have to come along to meet all the cute guys over there.. It could get ugly.. At this time i would not even think about trying to sneek a 12 gage boy deturent tool pass airport security..

In light of this i think that you are going to have to try and win the thing over there and get back on this fourm and tell your story..

GO GET THEM ;)

Grim

So far not enough 21 tunnels have entered to run the class > :( > :(

That's why I asked if GTR was going to enter his......

Grim, I hear you loud and clear man, the things I have to look forward to in a few years - my daughter is only 3 years old.................... so I have a few years to buy the 12 guage boy deterrent ;D

Hi TimD & others,

Tim I had downed tools on my boats and had been working on Kris's as I thought I had well and truly missed the cut-off. I am lucky though I have an almost 5 year old son who is starting to appreciate dad's boats. Do you think I should introduce him to your daughter Tim????LOL You guy's can worry and i'll buy the boy body armour and a lifetime supply of protection.

regards

GT

ps. I'm having a great week having fun building a retaining wall and to cap it off I broke my toe on tuesday night - fun when I try to walk or drive. ;D

hmmm, if there isnt enough boats to run 21 tunnel i will be pretty p#@sed off!! because you should know that the only classes i want to see are the tunnels :)

Tim is there enough to run in 21 stock, how many you need? how many in 21 mod, how many you need?

maybe i could be a late entry, even though i will have little to no experience with racing? i will be able to tart practicing as soon as GT finishes his work and gets the boat down to me 8)

oh yeah, is the course for tunnels the exact same as for hydros and monos? just wondering because i might be able to practice with Brett and Annette Ward...

Kris

Grim!

The thing with teen age daughters doesn't get better, only worse. Been there! See you Saturday at the District 4 meeting?

Later!

Ed Radz

Sorry to interupt the discussion thread here.... lol j/k

Just wanted to direct a question to Jerry:

Do you have any updated construction information and tips for the JD WOF 29?

hg-md,

I use West Systems 105 resin and 205 hardner to attach the wood sheeting to the foam. I mix in a little WS 404 filler to thicken the epoxy. However, you have to buy quite a bit of West Systems and if you're only going to build a couple of boats it's probably $$$ wise to just use 30 minute epoxy for sheeting. To glue parts like the transom former and side strip, and end caps to the foam I use 5 minute epoxy.

WOF construction is pretty basic. I guess there's other products that will stick the wood to the foam. I'm confortable with WS, so I use it.

JD

Jerry

We/I are/am using a new adheasive durring the constrution of foam but it must be used under pressure. We get as much as 3/8" penatration into the foam wich makes for a very strong part. I have never had this good a bond between foam and wood before.. Its costly but worth it. After melting the foam away with acetone there were little feelers in the foam as far as 3/8"..Tougher then whale poop this stuff is...

For free bonding like laying on non-trip on to foam i do not think it would work. And as you know WS is the best here and that is what i like also.. The best epoxy i have ever used is WS.. It has out performed anything else i have tryed. Im not saying that others are bad..just saying this works best for me and my building style.

WS ROCKS and for those that have never tryed it do it you will like it..

Grim

Thanks for the replys Jerry and Mike!

Jerry:

I purchased my destructions from rcstore.com, and it included the write up that was in RC Boat Modeler. Do you have any additional improvements or areas of attention I should look for in addition to the write up? Thanks for all of your good work Jerry.

Just as a comment, I was less than impressed with doing business with Air Age. The write up was supplied as a poor photo copy of 6 pages on a single sheet of paper. It is ledgible, but the pictures are no longer worth a #@$%.. They were full size and the sheet was almost as big as the print. The print was also a poor copy job, but its still very workable. I guess this is a little less than I expected from a publisher, I would think they could professionally re-produce these items better, seeing as this is thier business. just my .02...

hg-md,

If you are not satisfied with the quality of the coping, e-mail the magazineand let them know.

I have no control over any plans/articles once I've submitted them to RCMB.

If you have questions during construction, feel free to just e-mail me directly.

Jerry

I know Jerry, and I do have intention to let them know of my opinion. I hope that your not feeling offended by my comments, thats not the intent. I voiced it here for the other readers, who may be interested in getting plans from them so they know what to expect. Once again, they are completely workable. The content is excellent, and I look forward to completing and running this boat. I am not new to rc boats, but I am new to constructing my own boat. I know it will not be my last one either...

Thanks again for your input and advise!!!

hmmm, if there isnt enough boats to run 21 tunnel i will be pretty p#@sed off!! because you should know that the only classes i want to see are the tunnels :)

Tim is there enough to run in 21 stock, how many you need? how many in 21 mod, how many you need?

maybe i could be a late entry, even though i will have little to no experience with racing? i will be able to tart practicing as soon as GT finishes his work and gets the boat down to me 8)

oh yeah, is the course for tunnels the exact same as for hydros and monos? just wondering because i might be able to practice with Brett and Annette Ward...

Kris
Kris, There is a few questions here so I will try to answer them separately.

1. There is no stock or mod 3.5cc tunnel class in Australia. Just 3.5cc O/B tunnel. That means pipe's are allowed and so are mod's to the motor etc.

2. We need a minimum of 3 boats to run the class (AMPBA rule). So far there is only1 entrant - me. :'(

3. You can be a late entry, BUT you need to be a financial member of the AMPBA which you get through joining an affiliated club.

4. we run the exact same course as all the other classes.

GTR -if you can get the boat ready in time I can get the entry cleared, and I know that you are financial in the AMPBA. Sorry to hear about your foot!

Tim.

hmmm well that sucks : :)

it costs about $70 for the Western Districts Club (i think) for 1 year membership...if i did that and competed in the nats against the two of you (GT and Tim that is) would i be assured of a trophy ;)

i will have my boat by the end of next week so i will see what happens with how good i am :p

oh, what is the absolute latest you can clear the entry? and its $5 per boat or something is it?

Kris

Back