JAE21 shaft tube

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Capps

I was running the boat this weekend at the lake and my shaft tube got torn up. I know this has happened to others before but was just wondering what may have caused this. I grease the shaft after each use but maybe ran it too many times without greasing it. How ofter do you guys grease the shaft and what are you using for lubrication? I am leaving town tomorrow for vacation so hopefully I will get some insight so I can work on it when I return Saturday. Thanks in advance.

IMG_7009.jpg

Seems that you had a high temp inside the tube.Are you using a teflon liner?..if so get rid of it ! Gill

Houston, You have a problem! A lot of work to do now!

Did your cable broke too?? You can use the teflon line, no problem about that but... you need to grease a lots time! Use the Aquacraft Models grease is the best an cheaper! I really dont like the S tube style used in the JAE riggers! because you will got: Cable broken or Brass tube boommmmmmm.

Mine has done the same on my JAE 21, but only a slight amount so far. Been running the boat for 2 years. I know the tube is getting hot because my pipe insulation has melted where it hits the tube. I use the Grimracer grease, but the trick is getting the grease up to that area. It slowly gets wiped off as you insert the cable from the strut end. I built my 12 JAE with a slight s-bend instead hoping to reduce heat and my 45 will also have a slight s-bend.

John,

Looks like too much S-Bend in this boat.

If running a Teflon liner run only STP with 90 weight oil or something light,

No grease at all with Teflon.

Thanks,

Mark

I use a oiler system with castor oil and not a problem.Fill the oiler every time you go out.Grease will not get in to the cable were oil will.Castor oil willn't swell your push rod seal were oil and spt will.

Dave Roach

Last edited by a moderator:
When You get your new cable, put it a variable speed drill and the strut on the other end. turn on drill and move the strut. try to copy that bend. A nice easy S bend is what your after. And round file the under side of the hole in the tub. Then re- epoxy ski down, all done.

I was running the boat this weekend at the lake and my shaft tube got torn up. I know this has happened to others before but was just wondering what may have caused this. I grease the shaft after each use but maybe ran it too many times without greasing it. How ofter do you guys grease the shaft and what are you using for lubrication? I am leaving town tomorrow for vacation so hopefully I will get some insight so I can work on it when I return Saturday. Thanks in advance.

i use a 1/4" balsa wedge under the S. It's glued to the tube ,floor and bulkhead. I also use a light glasscloth over the tube and balsa. No issues.

IMG_7009.jpg

The angled "S" works the best in these boats. If you have the shaft in the boat (no motor) with a prop and spin it with you're fingers, it should go around one or two times. This will show that there isnt much drag. I've been running the same shaft for three years and its not even polished yet.

What's the process that should be used to anneal the driveline tube? I'm wondering if I'm heating too much. I wait till the brass turns red.

The angled "S" works the best in these boats.  If you have the shaft in the boat (no motor) with a prop and spin it with you're fingers, it should go around one or two times.  This will show that there isnt much drag. I've been running the same shaft for three years and its not even polished yet.
I definitely need to work on my S bends then. Mine wont spin around one or two times. But its not bound up by any means. Spins free, just not that free :)

After you get your S bend just heat it again until it changes color and put it under cold water to have it hardened again. Gill

Back