JAE Turnfins by MHardware

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hughes

Vendor
So a lot of you know me for my sport boat turnfins. Well now I have started building fins for the JAE baots. Some of my customers were having trouble with fins on there boats so they asked for some help. I am building them out of 7075-T6. I also am going a little larger on the thickness. These fins are rock solid. I am working on getting a template for the 67-90 boat and will have them available in the future. You can check them out at https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=977&pos=5

$30 each for all sizes except the gas. It is $40. Add 7 for shipping in the US. Outside of US, email for price.

Thanks for looking

Mike Hughes

Last edited by a moderator:
To all that are intersted in buying one of Mike's fins....He does VERY GOOD work!! I originally had him make me a Sundowner fin...I liked that one so much that I ordered another one just like it along with a 21 JAE fin! His work is excellent and the fins are profiled just right, solid and sharp as a knife!!!!!! You will not be dissapointed with the work that he does....

-Kent

Updated original post with price.

Paul

I am heading to the PO to drop it in the mail right now.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

Can you put the mounting holes, or preferred slots, into the 21 fin? If you could, I would buy one for sure. There are several other club members with various JAE's and I am sure they would take some too. Let me know soon if you could.

John

Mike,

Can you put the mounting holes, or preferred slots, into the 21 fin? If you could, I would buy one for sure. There are several other club members with various JAE's adn I am sure they would take some too. Let me know soon if you could.

John
Same with me Mike...ready to purchase if slot/mounting holes are located.

Thanks,

R-

Mike,

Can you put the mounting holes, or preferred slots, into the 21 fin? If you could, I would buy one for sure. There are several other club members with various JAE's adn I am sure they would take some too. Let me know soon if you could.

John
Same with me Mike...ready to purchase if slot/mounting holes are located.

Thanks,

R-
I will take a .21 fin if its drilled and slotted as above.

Robert

Ok. You guy want holes. So tell me this. What is the spacing? I do not own a JAE 21. I do know turnfins. So if someone can confirm layout, I will drill them. Are the kits the same as the plans that are online. I do not know this. I just hate to drill a hole in a fin and it not work out for you. I have built new fins for guys because their origninal was peppered with holes. Just seems easy to do your self. My sport fins come this same way just because of the reason I listed above. I always hated stock parts that did not work out for the boat I was building. That is one of the reason I started building boat parts.

Mike

Mikey: I will bring a stock JAE 21 fin tomorrow and you can copy the mounting holes and location. Rick

Ok. You guy want holes. So tell me this. What is the spacing? I do not own a JAE 21. I do know turnfins. So if someone can confirm layout, I will drill them. Are the kits the same as the plans that are online. I do not know this. I just hate to drill a hole in a fin and it not work out for you. I have built new fins for guys because their origninal was peppered with holes. Just seems easy to do your self. My sport fins come this same way just because of the reason I listed above. I always hated stock parts that did not work out for the boat I was building. That is one of the reason I started building boat parts.

Mike

Mike,

The holes in the plans are the same as those in the kits. However, I do not believe they work the best. David Preusse is making much better replacements than those in the kits. They are more like a sport 40 in design and are more swept back. It holds the sponson in the water better. I also do not like the open slots at the front and back of the kit fin. Close them off if you can.

I believe the design is fine. It is just the materials they are built out of. I did notice that the rake of the 21 is 20* less than the 12 and 45. Just building them from templates that people have already spent countless hours devoloping. Eric Bourlet first brought me the template for his JAE P spec rigger. The stuff I built his and Mark Anderson (first two I built) were from some .060 stuff that I had on hand. Not even sure what type. I think it was 6061-T6. But cant be sure. Theirs bend a little more than I would like. They are happy with them. I am a strong believer that a turn fin should never bend. Either be that of the fin material or the bracket it is mounted to. Half of the race is in the turn. If you can haul the mail down the shute and carry that speeed through the corners, usually you are first to the line.

Here ia a little info on G force.

A boat traveling 60 MPH going through a 45'R turn pulls 5.35Gs. Same boat going through a 30'R turn pulls 8.02Gs. Add 10 mph to that and the numbers come up to 7.28Gs at 45'R and 10.92Gs at 30'R. I have all ways wanted to do some testing with weights and materials to see the deflection. I know what chartacteristics of the material are, but do have any hard data as to how that transfers to the materials.

Being a little conservitve, a 20 hydro weighs in the 4.5 lbs. range. On a 30R course you got 36lbs on the fin. Because a fin is raked back. The deflecting is the most at the trailing tip of the fin. This will change the angle of the fin in 2 directions. it will pull it out away from tub and at the same time untuck the fin. This causes lift because now the fin is acting as a foil. All bad.

OK time to get off the soap box.

Rick I will not be there tomorrow. Spending time with the family.

I have the hole layout from the fin template. Can someone verify that the holes are 15/16 apart.

Mike

BTW I might do the testing in the near future. Been thinking about that for a while. Maybe I will do a tutorial on here.

mike, the holes are 15/16" spacing. actually slots, 4 total, allowing for front to rear adj. the slots are 1/2" long & the outer ones on each end are open ended. that is what john wants closed off.

Back