JAE Testing Results

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoboat

Boaters,

Just received some mail that in Huntsville they are testing

some new boats. I hear Martin is tearing up the water on the

oval course 80MPH to 83MPH. I believe he has his new JAE-21T

running those good ole 1450's. :D Martin glad you got in the

80's with your 21. I wonder if David had his JAE-45H out this

weekend?

Anyone Else,

Have any testing results to share?

Happy Holidays,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

How fast have you got the Jae 12's running? Are you using glen's 5 port novarossi? This is pretty exciting.

Raytam,

We have tested mid sixties (1440's) with the 12 boat, and mid seventies

with a (V-937/3) still in heat race trim. I am working on a new boat that

we hope to go over eighty with though. :D

Testing is everything, we have learned a lot by burning lots of fuel.

Motor, pipe, and propeller set up has taught us a lot with these little

Topp 12/3&5 port motors. I don't think most are going to go in

the 70's, but 60's is very possible with a pretty average set

up.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Mark, I'm curious also as to what went on down in Huntsville, sounds like the guys are having a blast.

I've still got that prop that you did up for me a few years ago, my other .12's had trouble spinning it but the NR should be able to. You've done a ton of props since then so you might not even remember it. I think that it's an ABC H-4 or something close done up like a Prather 215 but in a lifting version.

Mid-seventies huh? Wow........

Way to go Martin! Ive got some serious questions about my JAE 21 now........... :lol:

Ran mine last week for the first time, I need a radar gun! :ph34r:

Larry Jr.

Way to go Martin! Ive got some serious questions about my JAE 21 now........... :lol:

Larry Jr.

i had a ton of fun on saturday !! they really have a great pond there in huntsville, thank you to david hall and bill zuber for there hospitality..it sure is more fun running with other guys , running the radar gun and driving at the same time gets kinda hairy haha..

IMG_0260.JPG

Martin,

So I heard you did a 19.47 two lap, and you were 10' off the

buoys and plenty wide down the back straight. That is GREAT.

I know what you mean about the radar gun, my wife doesn't

want to learn how to use that thing either. :D More propellers

are on the way.

Nice Looking Boat,

Mark Sholund

Larry Jr.
First.....what boat did you run Saturday??? was that your JAE12G boat you ran???

Second.....There is "NOTHING" new on Martins boat he tested Saturday in Huntsville that is not incorporated in the new JAE.21G2 kit boat soon to be released by Zippkits.....There isn't a 1/16" difference between the two boats footprints or basic design parameters.The primary difference between the two boats is the JAE.21G's tub is a bit higher so the kit boat can use a standard Sullivan fuel tank.This height difference also facilitates a bit more room in the radio box for the nitro boat but it also makes the transistion of the .21G2 to a FE boat much easier for the builder of the boat from the plans.

I purposely built the JAE.21G2 prototype 8OZ. heavier than what the kit boat will be.I wanted to make sure the kit boat would successfully launch and run with the lower performance .21 motors using a car pipe with the displacement of the sponsons and ski used on the kit boat.

The prototype ran great.Even at 4# the prototype ran in the low to mid 70's with a bag H-7 prop and the boat also handled flawlessly.

Third.....In the next few days I will try to post another thread explaining everything there is to know about the JAE joint venture between Geraghty,Hall,Truex and Zaker.I will also explain the boat I.D. system we use so there is no confusion as to what we are doing or trying to accomplish and how we are trying to get there.

Finally....there isn't anything new incorporated in the JAE test boats that has not been shared with you.....I.E. the strut set-up,overhang etc,etc etc.....If we find anything new or better you will be the first to know........

We at JAE have no secrets or financial ambitions.......All we want is more people enjoying model boating.....its friendships and frustrations. ;)

What is the weight on the prop ready to run on the .21G2????
I say again,forget about what you use as a design parameter on a traditional rigger[i.E. prop weight]........

We absolutely gave no attention to the actual prop weight.It means nothing on this boat............

The rear of the boat is being held up by the ski......we only gave attention to the weight distribution percentages between the sponsons and the ski and........that "sweet spot" of the weight distribution between the sponsons and the ski turned out to be very large........

The F.E. version of the JAE.21G will have the same weight distribution as the nitro boat..........

I say again,forget about what you use as a design parameter on a traditional rigger[i.E. prop weight]........

We absolutely gave no attention to the actual prop weight.It means nothing on this boat............

The rear of the boat is being held up by the ski......we only gave attention to the weight distribution percentages between the sponsons and the ski and........that "sweet spot" of the weight distribution between the sponsons and the ski turned out to be very large........

The F.E. version of the JAE.21G will have the same weight distribution as the nitro boat..........
Great info Rod! Have you guys experimented with wire drives on the 21 FE version at all? I have a wire unit from Jeff Wohlt that I am thinking about using with a UL-1 motor/ESC combo...any thoughts?

-Kent

I think Martin for got he was running on water for a couple of laps he was also about 10 foot from the far bank. :huh: It was really nice to meet Martin and his pilot Landon Mitchell. We all had loads of fun, a new experience for sure.

So you don't have a prop weight in OZ's and I understand what you are saying, but I can use a 8oz. motor or a 20oz motor for the same class so to hit your target prop weight I will need to move things around depending on the motor and batteries. I don't want to deviate from what is an excellent design[other wise known as mess it up!]

Raytam,

We have tested mid sixties (1440's) with the 12 boat, and mid seventies

with a (V-937/3) still in heat race trim. I am working on a new boat that

we hope to go over eighty with though. :D

Testing is everything, we have learned a lot by burning lots of fuel.

Motor, pipe, and propeller set up has taught us a lot with these little

Topp 12/3&5 port motors. I don't think most are going to go in

the 70's, but 60's is very possible with a pretty average set

up.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
Speeds of 60 to 80 MPH with a .12...THATS INCREDIBLE!! Cant wait to get workin on mine! :)

Bill,

Don't get carried away with speeds. 60+ MPH is possible,

70 and 80 are quite high and on optimized set ups.

Keep It Real My Friend, :D

Mark Sholund

So you don't have a prop weight in OZ's and I understand what you are saying, but I can use a 8oz. motor or a 20oz motor for the same class so to hit your target prop weight I will need to move things around depending on the motor and batteries. I don't want to deviate from what is an excellent design[other wise known as mess it up!]
Sorry,I forgot to give you the weight distribution numbers in my last post.....60% on sponsons and 40% on the ski.....send me a PM with your

phone #

Great info Rod! Have you guys experimented with wire drives on the 21 FE version at all? I have a wire unit from Jeff Wohlt that I am thinking about using with a UL-1 motor/ESC combo...any thoughts?

-Kent
As far as I know everybody on the JAE team has zero FE experience.....RE: Wire drives....I am sorry to say but I think you are on your own with that one...go for it and let us know what you find out..... ;)

-Kent
As far as I know everybody on the JAE team has zero FE experience.....RE: Wire drives....I am sorry to say but I think you are on your own with that one...go for it and let us know what you find out..... ;)
Thanks Rod! No doubt I will! Just wondering if tests have been made...I think that the wire drives (Jeff Wohlt's) will be able to pull a slightly bigger prop (FE of course!) Flame suit is now on....

-Kent

Kent, for a wire drive to work, it's going to have to depend on how the motor is mounted and the bend in the stuffing tube. If there is a tight bend in the drive line or a S-Turn, the the wire drive won't work. I have Jeff's wire drive on my P-mono and love it. Less drag and it's plenty strong.

Back