JAE GAS RIGGER ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Muro

Supporting Member
Gentlemen I have a JAE gas rigger that I am having some issues with. When the water gets chopped up with 5 to 6 boats I am tripping in the turns and flipping. I am coming into turn 4 full bore and as I enter the chopped up water I dance on top and then it catches and flip. Would putting a non trip on the outside sponson help this so it can slid so it doesn't catch the sharp edge?Let me know your thoughts. Jerry

I personally dont have a running jae boat. I am around alot of them including a twin, I would guess your turn fin is releasing.... maybe need a larger fin or more curl.

Just my opinion,

Paul

I have the same boat with the exact same problem. Very tough to figure out because it only happens in race traffic. I originally had my boom tubes shorter than recommended, and I was told this could be be the problem. I lengthened them to spec for the last race with the same results. Of course I can't reproduce the problem in practice time because it only happens with a heavy race chop.

Hi Guys,

I am currently at the Gas Nats in Dallas. I am running a JAE gas rigger. I have not had any problems (I have done several mods to the boat)

I will try to keep you informed on how they work.

Kevin

I spent close to a year playing with mine. Out of the box it wouldn't track straight which turned out to be the biggest problem. I made a number of changes with turn fins and angle changes on the sponsons which helped a lot. Narrowing the width had no negative effect. Very fast. The last race it looked very promising in the mill with the last changes. Pulled a few hard turns testing and then coming around turn two for the start I lost the radio and it went straight into the rocks........destroyed!

Glen, I have a JAE gas rigger I built out of carbon and Kevlar. If you want a bullet proof boat let me know. The cowl is set up for rear exhaust. If you want pictures, email me at [email protected]

Albert

I built several boats with the square sponsons for saw events. With the larger gas boats I would flip/roll over even at slow speeds. They didn't have turn fins, so the boats would be in a controlled slide while turning. I added non trip on the left sponsons to keep the boats from rolling over, but during this process I learned a lot aout controlling a sliding turn. I set up a couple of oval boats and didn't need much non trip in clean water, but for the rough stuff I needed the non trip. Rod will tell you if the turn fin does it's job the boat will not trip. With a 20 or 40 boat I can see the logic, but a gas engine? That is a lot of weight to try to keep from sliding in a corner at 78 mph! I expect the turnfin will break loose in heat racing conditions from time to time, so I use the non trip. In fact, I like to use the left sponson non trip to help turn the boat rather than relying totally on the turn fin. With the big boats I have been bending the turn fins, so had to go to thicker fins. Then that creates tracking problems. Been experimenting and like the non trip with a normal size turn fin the best so far.

Thanks John I am going with it,will be down stairs tonight on the belt sander hearing it backed up by someone like you is good enough for me to try. Besides if it doesn't work these sponsons are easy enough to build.

I built several boats with the square sponsons for saw events. With the larger gas boats I would flip/roll over even at slow speeds. They didn't have turn fins, so the boats would be in a controlled slide while turning. I added non trip on the left sponsons to keep the boats from rolling over, but during this process I learned a lot aout controlling a sliding turn. I set up a couple of oval boats and didn't need much non trip in clean water, but for the rough stuff I needed the non trip. Rod will tell you if the turn fin does it's job the boat will not trip. With a 20 or 40 boat I can see the logic, but a gas engine? That is a lot of weight to try to keep from sliding in a corner at 78 mph! I expect the turnfin will break loose in heat racing conditions from time to time, so I use the non trip. In fact, I like to use the left sponson non trip to help turn the boat rather than relying totally on the turn fin. With the big boats I have been bending the turn fins, so had to go to thicker fins. Then that creates tracking problems. Been experimenting and like the non trip with a normal size turn fin the best so far.
John,

I absolutely agree with everything you have said...... ;)

Rod

I did put a non-trip in the outside sponson. The sponson was also 1/4 wider with a step. I made new pins that were adjustable (turned with an offset to raise and lower the sponsons to change the AOA. Settle with a modified 2818/2 prop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello..

what is this non trip you put on left side sponson ?
Non trip is when you cut a slice out of the left sponson from front to rear where the side intersects the bottom. This angled side lets the boat slide to the outside in a right turn. It also keeps the sponson on top of the water. More angle = more slide. look at the old round nose hydros. Note how the side of the sponsons are angled outward as they go upward. That is an example of a whole side of the sponson having non trip.

I got a great turn fin from Dick Tyndall for a twin

Jae. Really made a big differance in the handling.

Nails. (Ô¿ô)

Hey Nails/Bob I already solicited Dick on a turn fin last year while dealing with the pulling. Have a Dick fin on all boats just waiting for one for a scale FE I am going to build. I think the non trip is going to fix it. Jerry Setting Doka forms and loving it. Pile cap King

How much do I cut off the left sponson for this non trip? 6mm side and bottom or more ? How do I get a Dick Tyndall turn fin?

A wedge on the out side of the left sponson will help lift the out side sponson setting the right side in a turn.

I know what the heck am I talking about?

David

Last edited by a moderator:
What about a small flat turn fin on the inside of the left sponson? When the boat starts to slide at the front the left fin would push water up which would hit the left sponson and lift the left sponson a bit, maybe stopping it from digging in? :huh:

Back