JAE .45 Build Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanJohnson

Hi Fellow Boaters,

I believe many will be building the JAE .45 short kit this winter, so I figured I'd start a thread that we can ask our building questions in instead of starting a new thread with every question. I'm only an hour in to my build and I already have subtle build question. When assembling the tub, the sponson tube holes are offset very slightly when looking at them from the side; only about 2-3mm; however, I'm not sure which side is correct. Sould the holes be on the higher side, meaning there's less wood between the top of the hole to the top of the boat, or on the lower side?

Hope I make sense.

Thanks,

Dean

Adding that my JAE .21 has the holes positioned on the lower side; however, looking at some other people's .45's hasmbe second guessing if the same principle applies for the .45.

Hi Fellow Boaters,

I believe many will be building the JAE .45 short kit this winter, so I figured I'd start a thread that we can ask our building questions in instead of starting a new thread with every question. I'm only an hour in to my build and I already have subtle build question. When assembling the tub, the sponson tube holes are offset very slightly when looking at them from the side; only about 2-3mm; however, I'm not sure which side is correct. Sould the holes be on the higher side, meaning there's less wood between the top of the hole to the top of the boat, or on the lower side?

Hope I make sense.

Thanks,

Dean
I have no idea what you are talking about.....send me a phone # and I will call you ......Rod Geraghty [email protected]

Haha... Okay, PM sent.
There is only one way the tub sides can be oriented.......the arc in the front of the tub sides is the deck side[up]

The flat front ramp in the tub is on the bottom side.............the holes in tub were determined by the holes in the sponsons to keep

the boom tubes in line and parallel with the waterline and also maintain the proper sponson AOA when the boat is running.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a Futaba 3305 on 6 volts be good enough for steering on the JAE 45?

Thanks.

Human error is why the holes are off.

I've seen Joe's cutter and your piece may have moved during cutting. Having built many hulls I've had more than one cut off.

6 riggers this season alone. and more than that last season.

Dean, I'm in the process of building 4 JAE's using 1 short kit and the plans which are free too down load. I have bounced the lazer cut parts against the plans and so far everything is spot on. I have called Rod G several times and he has been a great help along with David Prusse who has several nice parts to compliment the the kit. Rod has one valuable piece of advice and that is to not change anything from the plans or the kit. When it comes to the rudder I just got a Andy Brown 45 rudder from him and if you use a speed master mount which fits the CMDI blade it will move the rudder back where it should be . I'm also using the Zipp kit adjustable 21 strut, your choice

Good luck with your project.

Dean, I'm in the process of building 4 JAE's using 1 short kit and the plans which are free too down load. I have bounced the lazer cut parts against the plans and so far everything is spot on. I have called Rod G several times and he has been a great help along with David Prusse who has several nice parts to compliment the the kit. Rod has one valuable piece of advice and that is to not change anything from the plans or the kit. When it comes to the rudder I just got a Andy Brown 45 rudder from him and if you use a speed master mount which fits the CMDI blade it will move the rudder back where it should be . I'm also using the Zipp kit adjustable 21 strut, your choice

Good luck with your project.
The newer adjustable ZIP strut just makes it easier to adjust the strut as far down and on top of the ski sheeting as possible.

The set-up instructions are the same as any size JAE boat.The newer ZIP strut just makes it easier to get there......

Hint:From the desk of the JAE team......... Leave the rudder long......you will be a lot happier if you do....... ;) :)

Thanks all for your input. Rod and I spoke last night and my question was answered.

Dean Johnson

Back