JAE .21FE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck st romain

OK, who is with me on this one? i am looking for someone that has started the larger JAE either from plans or kit. i have the .12 nitro, love it! i am on the waiting list for both the .21 nitro and .21FE. i was hoping that someone has starter the FE build so i can ask a few questions and get a start on collecting parts (kits are supposed to be ready on the 15th).

1) what kind and size of motor is being used? i was planning on running a 1515 1y and cc240 but the kit says it is designed for something like the UL1 motor. will the larger can of the 1515 fit? (remember the water jacket on it is pretty big)

2) if using a UL1 set-up, what kind of speed are you expecting. i know that motor is strong but my UL1 runs wayyyyyyyyy better with the 8xl, it can pull larger props.

3) if using other that UL1 motor, what about batteries? i am not sure 5000mah 30c 4s will be enough. with 1515 1y i always run at least 3600 30c 4s x 2 in parallel to get the output needed. like i said, i like big props which = big amps... i know riggers usually pull lower amps but i dont want to puff batteries.

any info and/or pics of the FE either complete or in the build stage would be appreciated... if it runs anything like the .12 nitro this boat is going to be a blast. i cant wait for the gasser!

The kit is designed for the SPEC Hydro class

UL-1 motor

4S1P lipo

I think the hull will be too small for a 1515 1Y motor and 4S2P setup.

If you want a 4S "P" class rigger you may want a motor with a few higher KV's

and a larger hull.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck

If you already have a 1515 1Y and 4S2P batteries, you should get a Wiplash Sport Hydro

This is the best setup for this hull.

Larry

1515 1y is prefect for the jae .21 FE. as is the UL-1. I have modded the .12 plans enlarged to 29" tub, a little more than 1.5 inch longer than the "typical" .21 boat which is usually 27" or so. 4s1p 5000mah, and 1515 is fine. If you want to make it all fit nicely...make a bubble hatch and you can play with any motor angle you want, this also lets you place the motor where it should be and not have to fiddle with COG by battery movement ONLY. (which is necessary, but starting with your motor in the sweet spot, is much easier than sliding lipos all over to make it run right). Just my opinion based on the 9 or so FE riggers I've built based on nitro plans. Any plan can be modified to work as a FE setup, I believe this and stand by it from the many "nitro" hulls I have made strictly for brushless power.

1515 1y is prefect for the jae .21 FE. as is the UL-1. I have modded the .12 plans enlarged to 29" tub, a little more than 1.5 inch longer than the "typical" .21 boat which is usually 27" or so. 4s1p 5000mah, and 1515 is fine. If you want to make it all fit nicely...make a bubble hatch and you can play with any motor angle you want, this also lets you place the motor where it should be and not have to fiddle with COG by battery movement ONLY. (which is necessary, but starting with your motor in the sweet spot, is much easier than sliding lipos all over to make it run right). Just my opinion based on the 9 or so FE riggers I've built based on nitro plans. Any plan can be modified to work as a FE setup, I believe this and stand by it from the many "nitro" hulls I have made strictly for brushless power.
How much faster would the 1515 1y be over a UL1 motor? Would run times improve also?

Thanks

How much faster would the 1515 1y be over a UL1 motor? Would run times improve also?

Thanks

just so you guys know, the 21g platform runs flawless well into the 80mph range, so dont be afraid to put some power in it B)

i would like to know what kind of finished weight guys are getting with fe power though, i havent messed with it in boats...

Thanks

The 1515 1y would blow the ul-1 motor out of the water. It would most likely give you less run time however..unless you go 2p. I can get close to 4 mins in my .21 nitro converted hydro on 5000mah 1p lipos. (not a rigger)

the 1515 motor is a powerhouse...but you pay for that power...it is considerably more than the ul-1 motor.

i would like to know what kind of finished weight guys are getting with fe power though, i havent messed with it in boats...
They usually come in at 4.5 pounds give or take a few ounces. I've seen a couple that went over 5 pounds. I'm working on one that should run at 3.8 pounds. Those are weights for he spec power systems.

has anyone got a FE going yet? i spoke with joe and mine is scheduled to ship on monday.... still havent decided if i should just run it as a spec class ul-1 or put some ponys under the hood. i have everything else in teh waiting. cc240, 5000mah 30c's. i was actually thinking about running a 6 or 7xl feigao as i have also had good results with them. just dont know about prop selection. probablly start around 442-445 and go from there. i have a nib ul-1 motor and think the 1515 1y might be psyically to big with the water jacket. i am kind of waiting to let someone else be the ginny pig and let me know what direction to go.

Hi, finally starting with FE and my JAE FE21 should be ready for shipping now also.

I was wondering, is it possible to run the Scorpion 3026-1900kv on 6s? Specs say 5s...

This is of coarse if 6s will fit in the tub :D

I have my scaled up .12 to a "big" sport .21 FE hull. It is in paint and should be finished in about 3 weeks...(painting is the worst/slowest part of a build in my opinion). I am using the castle/neu 1515 1y with new waterjacket. it fits fine...tight, but it fits. My hull will have a epoxy tape down lid, I layup in a plug I made. My hull plug should be finished shortly..then I can start laying up glass hulls that are in the 28" range. (its a different hull..not the jae, my own design from a collaboration of 3 hulls)

I have run the scorpions in other 34" riggers and the 3026 1600kv is perfect on 6s. the 1900kv is a 4s motor. Period.I iwll post pics and such when I am getting closer to putting it in the water. Its been a slow process since I am rebuilding a 1960s Dumas shovel, starting a new 30" shovel, and finishing the jae .21 ....its all a process.

Hope to see your builds/pics.

Patrick

Back