Jae 21 strut options

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

Guys ,What is available for and adjustable strut for the JAE 21 i saw some on the zipkit site but they are sold out.Mine is the fixed version (the ealry one from Jim and I adjust it by shimming but is there a better setup.Mine has been bent and straightened and i feel it is now weak.

Speedmaster 20 extended strut with flat bottom is best. Can use the rounded bottom strut but I prefer the flat bottom. The Speedmaster is what I have on my 20 and 40 JAE's. I WANT an adjustable strut.

Last edited by a moderator:
CMDI has a really nice one i purchased for a .12 jae and will work for your .21jae ... Really sweet IMHO. :D

I personally think that you could use any strut that you wanted too on the JAE boats. Considering that they ride on the ski anyhow... dont think it matters much.

Thanks guys,

John, did you mount your the conventional way or turn the blade around so you can get it down on the ski without the tapered part of the strut being in the way.

If i remember correctly(and it has been a while)some guys were turning the SM strut around using the long brackets and cutting the small taper off the part the tube goes through.

My boat is most happy with a peice cut out of the ski so the strut can be pushed down so the stuffing tube is resting on ski plywood that faces up and aprox 2* of neg i but in my strut with a belt sander.

Thanks guys,

John, did you mount your the conventional way or turn the blade around so you can get it down on the ski without the tapered part of the strut being in the way.

If i remember correctly(and it has been a while)some guys were turning the SM strut around using the long brackets and cutting the small taper off the part the tube goes through.

My boat is most happy with a peice cut out of the ski so the strut can be pushed down so the stuffing tube is resting on ski plywood that faces up and aprox 2* of neg i but in my strut with a belt sander.

You need an extended strut and not one flush on the back. Better to get one like that. That gives you the best ability to change the strut angle if needed. I have seen turn the strut around and it works but not as well, in IMHO.

Hmmmm...according to Mr. Geraghty:

"Step#1.....Push the strut down flat on top of the ski bottom sheeting....set the strut "dead flat" with no +/- in the strut angle and lock the strut down tight and LEAVE THE STRUT THERE FOREVER....."

Now I'm confused (but that happens a lot at my age!)...

Pete

I am no pro but I needed strut adjustment in the 12 and 21 i owned.The 12 was neutral and the 21 likes a tad neg to push the back up and or the front down whatever way you want to look at it. Could be my prop choice too....not sure..The 21 seemed a little hoppy or light on the sponsons when it was a bit choppy .I will be experimenting with my adjustable strut .

I also noticed that my 21 was a little "hoppy" when I propped up to an H-6 and was running with another boat...might try an adjustable and see what happens...

Patrick, "hoppy" in the back end of the boat? If so, try shifting more weight towards the back in the radio box. Seems these "ski" boats need more weight on the ski to stay planted.

I should have been more clear my scenario was that it hopped a little to much at the sponsons not the rear.Adding a little neg cured all my issues and my boat ran really well .I am just trying to get back to where i was before my mods and maybe use a little less neg to see if i can get a bit more speed out of it.

I'll get it figured out soon.I hope to test on Thursday night but have limited props at this point...Ordering more soon.

I removed the hardware from my transom, block sanded the transom, added a peice of .030 g-10 to the rear of the transom using mas epoxy and then redrilled and re-installed everything and added an adjustable strut and added atad neg and the boat runs as good and true as ever. I actually think the boat tracks straighter with less left rudder trim which is great.

Thanks Guys

Terry

I removed the hardware from my transom, block sanded the transom, added a peice of .030 g-10 to the rear of the transom using mas epoxy and then redrilled and re-installed everything and added an adjustable strut and added atad neg and the boat runs as good and true as ever. I actually think the boat tracks straighter with less left rudder trim which is great.

Thanks Guys

Terry

I told you!!

Latest posts

Back