IW Forums - Good and Evil

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David Santistevan

I have noted that the forums have an interesting dynamic to them. First the good, there are so many really great boaters willing to share their knowledge and experience with everyone. I personally have learned so much over the last couple of years that I hardly know where to start. Any time I have a question, thought or observation I have posted it here and gotten some really great feedback. That is the essence of what this is all about and the general culture of our fellow hobbyist.

There is also a really dark side to these forums (not just IW but the others as well). For some reason being online gives people a license to ignore all basic social contracts. The courtesies and tolerances we would normally extend to our fellow boaters are lost and at times people become very vicious and self serving. Without consideration for the other person, people will comment in ways that they would never do in person. Further it can create and environment where the mob mentality rules. I have seen and experienced situations where someone will offer their opinion or advice and they are attacked and ridiculed for it. I myself offered some insight into some of the things I am doing with my boats and I had people I didn't know jump into the conversation and literally attack my ideas. You do not have to agree with anyone's opinions for sure but you certainly owe your fellow boaters some respect.

Here are what a couple of ways I think everyone could benefit from when posting on these sites;

1) Always respect your fellow boater, you may not agree with them and you are welcome to post your own idea but never attack, belittle or diminish their ideas. They are trying to help boaters just like you.

2) Avoid the MOB mentality. If there is a heated discussion taking place and you do not have anything positive to ADD to the conversation then refrain from posting. This take a lot of discipline because everyone wants to express their opinion. However if you do not have a horse in the race you have no business on the track.

3) If you have a disagreement with someone take it offline. No one makes any friends or gains respect by arguing in a public venue. Most differences can be solved with a simple direct conversation. In most cases a phone call (where social contracts seem to come back in to play) will yield a resolution quickly and not let it get out of hand.

4) Remember this is a community, therefore you have a responsibility to your fellow boater. Everyone wants to help and be recognized for the things that they do or know. If you engage in a posts that take that from them you once again diminish your standing in the community (yes this means respect).

5) What happens on the Internet stays on the Internet, computers have a long memory and things you regret saying will, in type, be searchable and haunting for a long long time.

I am off the soapbox now, I hope this helps and remember when it all comes down to it model boating is about your fellow boater, without them we would be going around in circles by ourselves.

Repectfully,

Dave Santistevan

Last edited by a moderator:
This post from David is long overdue on needing to be said. Names were removed but everything else is SPOT ON THE MARK!

The thread is locked as there is no need for further comment BUT it should be read and listened to by all. And lastly keep in mind this is a PRIVATE FORUM and being a member is a privilege not a right.

Let's try to remember these are still toys, expensive yes but TOYS none the less.

Have a great day everyone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back