Is Nitro dead?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NITRO IS NOT DEAD!!!!!! I STARTED RACING NITO ABOUT 30 YEARS AGO. THERE WERE VARY FEW BOATS TO CHOOSE FROM AND NOT MANY ENGINE CHOICES. THE HARDWARE WAS OF POOR QUALITY. IF YOU MADE A TRIP TO THE INDY UNLIMITED YOU COULD GET SOME " MACHINED HARDWARE" THE ONLY HYDRO WAS A DON PICKERT HULL, CRAPSHOOTER, AND MAYBE ONE OTHER ONE. MOTORS, K&B WHICH SEEMED TO BREAK ALL OF THE TIME, OPS, AND LATER ROSSI.

THE RADIOS WERE AWFUL!!!!!!! WE WOULD BREAK SERVOS JUST CARRYING THE BOATS IN THE TRUNK OF OUR CARS.

IT IS TRUE THAT BOAT RACING IN GENERAL IS A CHALLENGE AND REQUIRES MODELING SKILLS. NITRO MAY REQUIRE MORE THAN GAS. I LOVE THE CHALLENGES OF BOAT RACING AND THAT IS WHY EVEN THOUGH I WAS PRESIDENT OF OUR R/C AIRPLANE CLUB I STAYED WITH BOAT RACING FOR OVER 30 YEARS.

THE CHALLENGE OF NITRO BOAT RACING AND THE ABSOLUTE THRILL OF SEEING MY 101 CRAPSHOOTER HYDRO RUN OR MY TWIN 101 SST HYDRO OR MY SCREAMING 21 HYDRO COULD NEVER BE MATCHED BY A GAS MONO, CAT OR HYDRO!!!!!!! THE SPEED AND THE SATISFACTION OF HAVING A BOAT RUN AND HANDLE AT THE SPEEDS THAT NITRO CAN ACHIEVE IS WHAT HAS KEPT ME IN THIS HOBBY FOR 30 YEARS. DOC

NITRO IS NOT DEAD!!!!!! I STARTED RACING NITO ABOUT 30 YEARS AGO. IT IS TRUE THAT BOAT RACING IN GENERAL IS A CHALLENGE AND REQUIRES MODELING SKILLS. NITRO MAY REQUIRE MORE THAN GAS. I LOVE THE CHALLENGES OF BOAT RACING AND THAT IS WHY EVEN THOUGH I WAS PRESIDENT OF OUR R/C AIRPLANE CLUB I STAYED WITH BOAT RACING FOR OVER 30 YEARS.

THE CHALLENGE OF NITRO BOAT RACING AND THE ABSOLUTE THRILL OF SEEING MY 101 CRAPSHOOTER HYDRO RUN OR MY TWIN 101 SST HYDRO OR MY SCREAMING 21 HYDRO COULD NEVER BE MATCHED BY A GAS MONO, CAT OR HYDRO!!!!!!! THE SPEED AND THE SATISFACTION OF HAVING A BOAT RUN AND HANDLE AT THE SPEEDS THAT NITRO CAN ACHIEVE IS WHAT HAS KEPT ME IN THIS HOBBY FOR 30 YEARS. DOC

Having the PLEASURE of running in the same club with Marty Davis and several other guru's in their respective classes-

and seeing the time and effort that goes into being truely fast with a nitro boat is inspiring.

Gene Mongar, John Otto , Tom Foley, , Rod Hendricks ,Norm Doer- and on and on......

Seeing the things these guys have been able to squeeze out of their boats is unreal.

To me THATS what makes going to the pond and running with great racers is all about, I really could CARE LESS if it's gas nitro or F/E B)

Every one of these people and TON MORE have made me a better boater and racer.

We are all doing the same thing in the long run

no matter what makes it run guys and gals......

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
NITRO IS NOT DEAD!!!!!! I STARTED RACING NITO ABOUT 30 YEARS AGO. IT IS TRUE THAT BOAT RACING IN GENERAL IS A CHALLENGE AND REQUIRES MODELING SKILLS. NITRO MAY REQUIRE MORE THAN GAS. I LOVE THE CHALLENGES OF BOAT RACING AND THAT IS WHY EVEN THOUGH I WAS PRESIDENT OF OUR R/C AIRPLANE CLUB I STAYED WITH BOAT RACING FOR OVER 30 YEARS.

Having the PLEASURE of running in the same club with Marty Davis and several other guru's in their respective classes-

and seeing the time and effort that goes into being truely fast with a nitro boat is inspiring.

Gene Mongar, John Otto , Tom Foley, , Rod Hendricks ,Norm Doer- and on and on......

Seeing the things these guys have been able to squeeze out of their boats is unreal.

To me THATS what makes going to the pond and running with great racers is all about, I really could CARE LESS if it's gas nitro or F/E B)

Every one of these people and TON MORE have made me a better boater and racer.

We are all doing the same thing in the long run

no matter what makes it run guys and gals......

Andy
running with don ferrette, john finch, ray sametz, dick tyndall, steve speas, chris wittrig & others in d-12, all i can say is AMEN, andy B)

NITRO IS NOT DEAD!!!!!! I STARTED RACING NITO ABOUT 30 YEARS AGO.
THE SPEED AND THE SATISFACTION OF HAVING A BOAT RUN AND HANDLE AT THE SPEEDS THAT NITRO CAN ACHIEVE IS WHAT HAS KEPT ME IN THIS HOBBY FOR 30 YEARS. DOC
I also remember when i bought my first nitro boat back in the 80's, after saving money for ages. It had an OPS 45 and the radio was an already old (short range) Futaba Attack.

I still remember all the heavy lifting and carrying of stuff. (Boat, battery, Field box, Chair, Tool boxes, fuel, more fuel etc...) It was quite some distance from the parking lot to the bank. I bought an electric starter, but couldn't afford a battery, so I used to borrow the (heavy duty) battery from my old Ford. Normally the battery was discharged when I was about to go home.

Anyway, I still remember the good feeling when the engine finally started a few hours later, and the nice sound of the engine screaming down the stretch.

Dying in the first corner because it was to lean.

Then few minutes later, after some rowing, finding the radio box soaked and ready to go home... :D

I got real fit and muscular the first summer after spending alot of time in that rowing boat. I really miss those days.

Now I'm just getting fatter and fatter. My gas boats just runs and runs. No more rowing at the pond... :(

NITRO IS NOT DEAD!!!!!! I STARTED RACING NITO ABOUT 30 YEARS AGO.
THE SPEED AND THE SATISFACTION OF HAVING A BOAT RUN AND HANDLE AT THE SPEEDS THAT NITRO CAN ACHIEVE IS WHAT HAS KEPT ME IN THIS HOBBY FOR 30 YEARS. DOC
I also remember when i bought my first nitro boat back in the 80's, after saving money for ages. It had an OPS 45 and the radio was an already old (short range) Futaba Attack.

I still remember all the heavy lifting and carrying of stuff. (Boat, battery, Field box, Chair, Tool boxes, fuel, more fuel etc...) It was quite some distance from the parking lot to the bank. I bought an electric starter, but couldn't afford a battery, so I used to borrow the (heavy duty) battery from my old Ford. Normally the battery was discharged when I was about to go home.

Anyway, I still remember the good feeling when the engine finally started a few hours later, and the nice sound of the engine screaming down the stretch.

Dying in the first corner because it was to lean.

Then few minutes later, after some rowing, finding the radio box soaked and ready to go home... :D

I got real fit and muscular the first summer after spending alot of time in that rowing boat. I really miss those days.

Now I'm just getting fatter and fatter. My gas boats just runs and runs. No more rowing at the pond... :(
100 boats descending on Evansville next weekend 80 are NITRO you tell me NO I WILL TELL YOU IT LIVES AND BREATHS FIRE

No one has stated how much a good gas boat is compared to a nitro the engines are ridiculous same with the hull i stick with nitro once nitro dies i wont race any more
I've been slipping over to the Dark Side buying gas boats. As I'm getting older I find the bigger boats easier to work on with my fat arthritic fingers not to mention the failing eyesight. The thing killing me is the cost of parts. I'm trying to figure out who can afford to pay up to $250.00 for a lousy tuned pipe and why they think that it's worth it? I'm one of those that like nice stuff but have a sensible side (not to mention a wife who'd kill me if I spent that much). The .12 sized boats still have my fascination for nitro going strong, a ton of fun for little fuel sippers.

Is ELVIS Dead? Now that is a good question :p . Better than... :wacko: Is Nitro dead? H@%% NO NITRO IS ALIVE!!!!

NO WAY ,GOT TO MANY PLANES ,CARS, AND NOW BOATS,BESIDES LOVE THE SMELL OF NITRO IN THE MORNING AND UHHH AFTERNOON ,UHHH THE EVENING ,NEVERMIND ANY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nitro is the only thing alive in D4. The only time I have ever seen enough gas boats to actually run a true heat was Mendota last year and Grimracer Brought 3 of the Rio's for people to run ( they did only run in open of shore).

Paul

p.s. Sport 20 is a very popular class here also, one of the biggest. It also looks like there will be about 5 or 6 good running A Hydro's (.12)..............That I know of.

No one has stated how much a good gas boat is compared to a nitro the engines are ridiculous same with the hull i stick with nitro once nitro dies i wont race any more
Huh? A stock zenoah is $200. A typical mod zenoah is anywhere from $450 to $600. Show me how much a CMB 91RS or 101 is ;)

To keep it from being "dead" in my stable I have been running my two 21 O/B tunnel engines on 30%.

To be absolutely honest I'm not missing much, except blown plugs, no idle, bearing damage, touchy

needle and lousey fuel milage.

Other than the above, all I appear to be missing is a little boost off the corner,,No Kidding,,other than that

the speed looks to be the same to me.

Since missing that little extra boost I've learned to drive thru the corner better to maintain the speed for

corner exit. I'm purdy tickled about the whole thing,, even got a win with the lynx in Really rough water

cause I was able to get down to about 2 mph in the really rough spots when everybody else was upside

down in the mill.

Internal engine config is not a whole lot different from running 65%,, colder plug and a little more fins

on the airhead seem to be holding well so far.

JW

Every time I go and get stuff for my boats every one tells me to get a gas boat. I am constantly defending my choice to run nitro.

Gas boats are so much easer to run jut need a gas tank and of you go.

Thy tell me that nitro is dead there is no more development in nitro tec It is all old tec.

I am new to RC boating and am not one to do some thing just because every one else is doing it.

The first time I started that eng I was hooked.

The first run on the water was a rush just like racing my GTO on the street when I was younger. But this is legal and much safer. Also a lot cheaper to rotate blown eng.

I look at it this way, some on has to keep the nitro flame burning or it will die!

Huh? A stock zenoah is $200. A typical mod zenoah is anywhere from $450 to $600. Show me how much a CMB 91RS or 101 is ;)
A new Novarossi .21 is $215 and in a rigger, will eat a stock 260 Zenoah for lunch :)

A new Novarossi .21 is $215 and in a rigger, will eat a stock 260 Zenoah for lunch :)
apples to oranges :rolleyes: Let me put one of my gas rigger props on your 21 boat and lets see how well it does :rolleyes:

Like ol JW once said...."STILL ALIVE AND WELL, STILL ALIVE AND WELL, EVERY NOW AND THEN YOU KNOW ITS KINDA HARD TO TELL BUT WERE (nitro!) STILL ALIVE AND WELL! :lol:

apples to oranges :rolleyes: Let me put one of my gas rigger props on your 21 boat and lets see how well it does :rolleyes:
No, now that's apples to oranges. Let me put a 21 prop on the 260 and see how IT goes.

I'm talking MPH-MPH

What does that have to do with anything??????????????????

The future of gas is nitro. Sooner than later more people will be blending fuels to achieve ultimate performance. It is already happening. B)

No, now that's apples to oranges. Let me put a 21 prop on the 260 and see how IT goes.

I'm talking MPH-MPH
I'll bet whatever amount of money you want, that ill at least be able to throw my boat in the water and it keep running with your 21 prop before you ever will with my smallest gas prop :rolleyes:

Show me the fastest Rossi 21 powered Rigger, and ill show you the fastest Zenoah powered Rigger.

Or how about this... make your 21 boat weigh what my gas rigger weighs, and we can compare mph.

Again... i asked a simple question of price on a bigblock that is comparable to our gas motors.... and the haters come out with snide remarks as usual. :rolleyes:

What does that have to do with anything??????????????????
It was a reply to a comment showing that you can get into fast nitro racing for a reasonable cost with a $215.00 Novarossi.

Latest posts

Back