Inboard vs Outboard Strut

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilr95ss

I've noticed the IMPBA allows transom mounted strut, but the NAMBA requires inboard struts, why?

Because of a general lack of interest in coming up with consistant rules. :angry:

The IMPBA members voted to have flexibility in this sport class. Nothing prohibits you from tucking it under if you want to race in NABMA as well as IMPBA. I see nothing wrong with this as long as the rules aren't written in a manner that makes it impossible to race in both sanctioning bodies. For instance the Bud Lobster boat is not legal in IMPBA sport classes and can't really be made legal without major chopping.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the reasoning for having the strut inboard, is it for safety, does it make the hull run better?

What's the reasoning for having the strut inboard, is it for safety, does it make the hull run better?
Back in the early 70s Most all hydros had the strut under the hull (If i remember right). At the 74 impba nats I was a beginner asking lots of questions. One of those questiones was why everyone (most everyone) mounted the strut under the boat. The answer was " The boat won't ride right if you don't." I was told it won't work. I guess we know better now. The only reason I can imagine for requiring the strut be under the hull is to keep the scale appearance of a scale model. Back then in was mostly hard shafts too. Thank God we experiment and find easier ways to do things. Struts under the boat are a pain.

The IMPBA members voted to have flexibility in this sport class. Nothing prohibits you from tucking it under if you want to race in NAMBA as well as IMPBA. I see nothing wrong with this as long as the rules aren't written in a manner that makes it impossible to race in both sanctioning bodies.
Except for IMPBA sport 40 where you are still required to mount the strut under the boat just like the scale boats.

For instance the Bud Lobster boat is not legal in IMPBA sport classes and can't really be made legal without major chopping.
That would actually be the Winston Eagle lobster boat Joe. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back