IMPBA Votes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant we all just race toy boats and HAVE FUN????? A little common sense would go a LONG ways in getting rid of 2/3 of the general rules. Just too bad we have to have them, because common sense just isnt....well.....very common anymore.

Please read each ballot esp the last one regarding the last ten seconds of mill time "3. During the last 10 seconds of Clock Time, or boats passing the No. 4 buoy must

maintain their lane, and observe driver safety in selecting lanes. Zigzagging,

"S" turns, or fishtailing to delay crossing the start line will draw an infraction

with either a one lap penalty or possible disqualification being assessed. " This has an impact on all our heat racing
Everyone please the proposal closely, it's 10 seconds OR passing buoy #4 not both. The 10 second part is directed towards those doing the creepy crawly to the start line and for those of us on plane and at speed it's after you pass buoy 4. This proposal is designed to clear up changing lanes and drive erratically in the last corner as it happens way too often.
Don is exactly right. This rule makes for smoother starts without a bunch of chaos coming around the corner to the start line. The old rule is 15 seconds or bouy 6. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. The board has had a lot of discussion on all these proposals thats why they were passed for the 1 year trial. You can send your votes snail mail, e-mail to your district director, or vote online. You have 30 days to get your votes in. For you guys that can't get on the site, contact me and we will get you taken care of. [email protected]
I just don't recall this being used at races I was at last year. I was just thinking we already have lane infraction rules. Seems like a good rule but makes for more work for the judges. Im just one vote so Im sure if it is a good rule and makes people drive better everyone will vote for it.
This trial rule was IN PLACE at the 2012 IMPBA INTERNATS in Charleston and was enforced. You attended the event. However, after it was explained to all racers at the first drivers meeting, everyone cooperated well and no DQ's were called. The CD team had a 30 minute discussion on this one rule the day before racing started and devised the means to call it by the intent of the rule among all of us. We found it actually cleaned up the racing around the right turn just before the race starts. After the race starts and the boats get by the carnage always at the left turn on lap one, all was good. We continued to use the rule for the remainder of the race season.

We did not implement this rule for the Internats. It was determined anytime a racer can can make a propper lane change there would be no infraction. However, any impropper lane change was going to get called. We also defined with more clreaity the lane widths occupied by the overtaking boat and boat being passed. This is what cleaned up the racing. I belive I was involved in the only incedent and that occured with 45sec before the start. Stu and I discussed it for some time and came away still friends.

I find no value implementing this redundant rule. I forsee much more confusion, wrong judgements.

Here is a likely scenario: first few boast are early or putting, boat 40 feet back enters bouy four 30 feet out on a faster pace, sees an opening 10 feet wide cuts through the wakes of the front boats, fouls nobody with clean passes, and gets a lap or DQ for a great racing move....comon' man!!!

MG

I voted no also. I should be able to drive my 8 second lap boat anywhere I would like so long as I do not impede anyone progress. Many times I will drive on the outside lanes to avoid the shuffle of the start all the way around 1-2-3 bouys. But when I hit the clock I am running full bore as most of the other boats are running at a slower speed. And if you drive slow like this I will beat you every time around 1-2-3 bouys.

I understand why and where this rule is coming from. The drivers meeting at our race last year we discuss the starts and course driving with all drivers but it was very strong on the S turns, zigzigs, and fishtails for the Gas boaters to understand. We used the present rules in the rule book that worked very good for this problem. I think that we only had to give two or three warnings on the gas boat drivers and the problem went away. From that time on I saw some of the best starts that I have ever seen from all the boaters and the Gas boaters did a good job of make good starts and races to watch without all the leap froging before the race.

So the rules are there in place to cover this. All we need to do is use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted no also. I should be able to drive my 8 second lap boat anywhere I would like so long as I do not impede anyone progress. Many times I will drive on the outside lanes to avoid the shuffle of the start all the way around 1-2-3 bouys. But when I hit the clock I am running full bore as most of the other boats are running at a slower speed. And if you drive slow like this I will beat you every time around 1-2-3 bouys.

I understand why and where this rule is coming from. The drivers meeting at our race last year we discuss the starts and course driving with all drivers but it was very strong on the S turns, zigzigs, and fishtails for the Gas boaters to understand. We used the present rules in the rule book that worked very good for this problem. I think that we only had to give two or three warnings on the gas boat drivers and the problem went away. From that time on I saw some of the best starts that I have ever seen from all the boaters and the Gas boaters did a good job of make good starts and races to watch without all the leap froging before the race.

So the rules are there in place to cover this. All we need to do is use them.
I second the comment...ENFORCE THE RULES WE ALREADY HAVE. I vote NO

Back