IMPBA Votes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question about 13-6.

If I'm out off 4, 5 & 6 in lane 50 killing time, the way the proposal reads it I have to maintain lane 50 to the start.

What if there aren't 50 lanes down the front chute?

During the last 10 seconds of Clock Time, or boats passing the No. 4 buoy must

maintain their lane, and observe driver safety in selecting lanes. Zigzagging,

"S" turns, or fishtailing to delay crossing the start line will draw an infraction

with either a one lap penalty or possible disqualification being assessed.

Why can't I just find an empty lane to the start as long as I don't impede anyone's progress? :rolleyes:

Also, the way it reads, to me at least, is that I have to maintain my lane during the last 10 sec. before the start, well with my hydros that's almost the last whole lap! Wierd, the existing rule says during the last 15 sec., that's never enforced from what I see.

Again, why can't I just take an un-occupied lane as long as I don't mess anyone else up? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
This " last 10 seconds or buoy 4 " rule was obviously written for the Gas guys. They can do 40 second laps if they really had to. But it's a different story with the nitro guys.............especially all of the outrigger hydros. We talked about this at the CD meeting before the Internats as John has said and made sure the racers were aware of this rule. I don't recall anyone being warned or penalized for not following it during the race...............I didn't call anyone for it. Not trying to throw anyone under the bus here, but the Gas guys are usually the ones you have to keep an eye on during the starts more than the Nitro guys. Just my observation, okay..............I run Gas stuff too, so I'm not pulling the trigger with my eyes closed on this one. Too many drivers trying to get Lane One before the start thinking it's gonna win the race for them. That's not good driving and that's not racing............not any fun, either. I'll have to vote no on this one. Leave the rule like it already is in the Rule Book. If people paid more attention to their driving and be a little more patient this wouldn't be a problem.

Dick Tyndall

Just to clarify we are talking about a traditional 6 buoy course here arent we? How do we interpert on the 10 buoy course that we have raced at some sites in D2 ?

Let's use a little common sense guys. Terry, if you are out in the back 40 bleeding off time, you better come down the chute on the outside. If you impede another racer coming around the corner, you will get a lap penalty or a DQ if you take someone out. I would call that even without this rule. Tony, you would call it bouy 6. The way the 10 bouy course is written you are not even supposed to call 1 through 10. The number 2,4,7, and 9 bouys are not even supposed to be called and are to be painted green. I do like the 10 bouy course and would like to see the 6 bouy system gone. After all we want guys to turn a smooth arc but we set up a triangle.

Just to clarify we are talking about a traditional 6 buoy course here arent we? How do we interpert on the 10 buoy course that we have raced at some sites in D2 ?
As it states in the rule book Section K page 9 the radius buoys on a 5 buoy turn are not numbered, it's still 1,2,3 on the left and 4,5,6 on the right. If you have a dead boat at let's say the buoy between 1 & 2 you still call dead boat between buoy 1 & 2. Don't forget though it is still 50 point deduction if you cut any buoy including the radius and entrance buoys. ;)
4. For scoring and course reference purposes, all marker buoys shall be

numbered consecutively in the direction of the course starting with the first buoy to

the left of the Start/Finish buoy and ending with the buoy immediately to the right of

the Start/Finish buoy. The Start/Finish buoy shall carry no number identification.

Straightaway buoys will be added to the 1/3-mile oval course only. The front

straightaway buoy will be located halfway between the start/finish line (center of

course) and buoy one; the back straightaway buoy will be located halfway between

the center of course and buoy four. The optional Radius Buoys will be added to

the 1/3-mile oval course only. The Radius buoys shall carry no number identification.

The Radius buoys will be placed in between buoys 1&2, 2&3, 4&5, and 5&6.

Let's use a little common sense guys. Terry, if you are out in the back 40 bleeding off time, you better come down the chute on the outside. If you impede another racer coming around the corner, you will get a lap penalty or a DQ if you take someone out. I would call that even without this rule. Tony, you would call it bouy 6. The way the 10 bouy course is written you are not even supposed to call 1 through 10. The number 2,4,7, and 9 bouys are not even supposed to be called and are to be painted green. I do like the 10 bouy course and would like to see the 6 bouy system gone. After all we want guys to turn a smooth arc but we set up a triangle.
Hey Juice (Mr. President!): Fur shur, just playing a bit of Devil's Advocate. :rolleyes:

As it's written though I would be subject to a penalty if I was way on the outside around 4, 5, 6 and came into say lane 1 for the start - even if no one was there.

I think I know what you're trying to eliminate, that is guys jockying around in lane one for the start during the last 10 sec. and/or before the last turn. But I don't really see the problem with that - as long as the guys that jumps into lane one doesn't "impede the progress" of the guy that he gets in front of!

Guys can leap frog each other until they just can't go any slower (until buoy 6) and/or someone is gonna jump. Then the guy that hits the line full speed on the outside beats them all to the first corner. :lol:

Hey Juice (Mr. President!): Fur shur, just playing a bit of Devil's Advocate. :rolleyes:

As it's written though I would be subject to a penalty if I was way on the outside around 4, 5, 6 and came into say lane 1 for the start - even if no one was there.

I think I know what you're trying to eliminate, that is guys jockying around in lane one for the start during the last 10 sec. and/or before the last turn. But I don't really see the problem with that - as long as the guys that jumps into lane one doesn't "impede the progress" of the guy that he gets in front of!

Guys can leap frog each other until they just can't go any slower (until buoy 6) and/or someone is gonna jump. Then the guy that hits the line full speed on the outside beats them all to the first corner. :lol:
What he said..............THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Dick Tyndall

Terry is right in all aspects. Last 10sec!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crazy when we are making 12 sec laps. who cares what lane and where folks are just as long as it doesn't impede another boat. The REAL CARNAGE occurs at bouey one after the start. Rarely have I been taken out just before the start, it is at bouey one when people don't hold their lane. This rule seems to be for gas who often slow WAY done for their start and are moving around to get lane position.

cant get on the site to vote.

My vote is YES.

it is the last 10 sec. and I agree. also agree with Doc's last sentence. have seen it here in Dist. 12.

" Zigzagging,

"S" turns, or fishtailing to delay crossing the start line will draw an infraction

with either a one lap penalty or possible disqualification being assessed. " This is a current rule, I do not like having to stay in my lane from buoy 4 as ive seen guys vacate lane one at buoy 5. If this happens you know im going to take lane one if im in position. This proposal as I see it wont allow it My vote is NO

Is there a rule that says once you cross the start when the clock time has expired you must hold you lane until bouy 3. That sounds better then the proposed rule in my opinion. But rules are rules.

maintain their lane, and observe driver safety in selecting lanes. Zigzagging,

Why can't I just find an empty lane to the start as long as I don't impede anyone's progress? :rolleyes:

Also, the way it reads, to me at least, is that I have to maintain my lane during the last 10 sec. before the start, well with my hydros that's almost the last whole lap! Wierd, the existing rule says during the last 15 sec., that's never enforced from what I see.

Again, why can't I just take an un-occupied lane as long as I don't mess anyone else up? :unsure:

maintain their lane,

B) and observe driver safety in selecting lanes. B)​

Zigzagging,

This rule seems to be addressing the transition from milling to racing. Problem is, some boats choose to mill 30 laps, some choose to mill 13 sec laps. some boats stay in the 6 lanes, some run wide into the pit lane. It would be nice to have everyone mill nice, and also make it through the first turn, but its pretty rare. I am for saying the racing rules are in effect when you enter the corner before the start, but this rule seems more strict than the rules of racing. If I have to go wide down the back, but there is a lane open coming down the front, I would like to take that lane.

Is there a rule that says once you cross the start when the clock time has expired you must hold you lane until bouy 3. That sounds better then the proposed rule in my opinion. But rules are rules.

cant get on the site to vote.

My vote is YES.

it is the last 10 sec. and I agree. also agree with Doc's last sentence. have seen it here in Dist. 12.
u have speed on him ?

10 seconds is an eternity when you have a fast boat . In my world dating back to full size race boats the object is to hit the start line AS FAST AS POSSIBLE . I cannot and will not troll to the start line .I will pass at speed and when a 2 boat overlap exists I will take the lane . If the spray bothers you ...oh well I'm legal .

I vote NO . No more rules please .

Back