IMPBA Rule Change

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's look at it this way:

Remember when your parents said, "Go to your room"? Then you decided to be smart and go to your room, turn around, and return. Was that the intent of your parents or were you just acting on a loop hole? I think the yelling and/or spanking answers that question.

O.J. killed somebody and gets off free basically to loop holes. He doesn't have to pay anything out of his $25,000/month salary either due to loop holes. Micheal Jackson puts his hands in little boys pants because of loop holes. We pay enormous "costs of doing business" because of the "getting burned by hot coffee" loop holes. Because of holes at Enron many people lost their entire retirement.

The point is, we all know the intent of the law/rule. In this case it is a simple muffling device that is stirring up all the crap. That issue had been put to sleep but then, well, it's the bad apple syndrome. Why as adults should we have to have a group of lawyers write our rule book and have law enforcement at the races? It is absolutely rediculous. And the same goes for ho to measure sound too.

I will go ahead and tell you the loop hole on a simple db rule. Take any gasoline engine and pivot the pipe (with no muffler) 180 degrees. Easy enough. What do you think the db meter pointed at bouy 1 will read? What if the exhaust is pointed to the center of the course?

So as the Article III of the IMPBA Constition states:

A. The membership shall consist of clubs and individuals interested in the advancement

of Model Power Boat Racing.

Does somebody actually need to say "stay in your room" or do you get the intention?

Preston_Hall said:
Let's look at it this way:
Remember when your parents said, "Go to your room"? Then you decided to be smart and go to your room, turn around, and return. Was that the intent of your parents or were you just acting on a loop hole? I think the yelling and/or spanking answers that question.

O.J. killed somebody and gets off free basically to loop holes. He doesn't have to pay anything out of his $25,000/month salary either due to loop holes. Micheal Jackson puts his hands in little boys pants because of loop holes. We pay enormous "costs of doing business" because of the "getting burned by hot coffee" loop holes. Because of holes at Enron  many people lost their entire retirement.

The point is, we all know the intent of the law/rule. In this case it is a simple muffling device that is stirring up all the crap. That issue had been put to sleep but then, well, it's the bad apple syndrome. Why as adults should we have to have a group of lawyers write our rule book and have law enforcement at the races? It is absolutely rediculous. And the same goes for ho to measure sound too.

I will go ahead and tell you the loop hole on a simple db rule. Take any gasoline engine and pivot the pipe (with no muffler) 180 degrees. Easy enough. What do you think the db meter pointed at bouy 1 will read? What if the exhaust is pointed to the center of the course?

So as the Article III of the IMPBA Constition states:

A. The membership shall consist of clubs and individuals interested in the advancement

of Model Power Boat Racing.

Does somebody actually need to say "stay in your room" or do you get the intention?

109994[/snapback]

Pointing the noise away from the meter is not the answer! If we are to keep our hearing and LAKES to run on we must get the noise level in check.Personally i think the noise in the pits is aweful anyone ever measure that noise? We keep fooling ourselves and walking around the issue,some day its going to BITE us all....Mikey

What I'm saying is that if Michael Jackson does a high pitched "WOOHOOOOOOOO" coming down the front stretch or the back stretch or anywhere on the course and our DB Meter at 25' from the waters edge reads more than ##DB's, Michael needs to stick a sock in his mouth because he's hurting my ears. If he can go "WOOOOOHOOOOO" Underwater and the DB Meter is OK. Let Him "WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO" Til the cows come home.

:rolleyes:

Pointing the noise away from the meter is not the answer!
You missed the point Mikey. But it would be 100% legal. And very loud I might add. But yes, it isn't the answer. Neither is a rubber.

Pointing the noise away from the meter is not the answer! If we are to keep our hearing and LAKES to run on we must get the noise level in check.Personally i think the noise in the pits is aweful anyone ever measure that noise? We keep fooling ourselves and walking around the issue,some day its going to BITE us all....Mikey

109995[/snapback]

Mikey,

You have been in this long enough to know that confusing people with facts just flat doesn't work. :blink: :)

If you remember,5 years ago there was nothing in the IMPBA rules about any type of noise abatement whatsoever.Now there are some rules in place,maybe not the best,but they are getting there.When it makes sense,the pissin' matches eventually dry up,and it all gets done.

Naviga[the ruling organization for the rest of the world]probably has the best noise abatement rules in place for model boats.

As I understand,it is either 82 or 85 DB no matter where you are. Andy Brown could tell us the number.He goes to the Worlds just about every year.

82 DB's.........That would be a welcome rest to the competitors and spectators ears.

I've been reading this topic since a long while and in first i didn't mean to get in between this but :

Naviga has 80 db with a max of 82 db rule ( measuring point is by my knowledge 20 meter of the first lane , 20 meter is i think 60 feet )

They don't care HOW , getting UNDER the 82 db is what u have to be .

In my eyes , the " add a muffler orwhatever " rule is stupid .

Spectators and neighbours of the lake don't care if there is a muffler on that **** LOUD boat , they HEAR a LOT OF NOISE .

They have NO knowledge on what the rules are or how difficult the mufler thing is .

Keep rules simple but with enough information .

Rules can be read in several ways sometimes , some people will always try to "bend" the rules in the way they see it . ( this is not said in anyone particular )

But that being said , it was and is a good thing that u finally had a DB rule , to me it's not the best way the rule could have started but point was to get u guys working on the DB's .

Maybe the next step can be to get a new rule , scrap the muffler rule and make the max db 92 .

Getting under 92 db is no magic , CMB ( and Dave Marles and some other europeans ) got pipes that go under that , why can't u guys use those ?

Regards ,

B

RE;Naviga has 80 db with a max of 82 db rule ( measuring point is by my knowledge 20 meter of the first lane , 20 meter is i think 60 feet )

They don't care HOW , getting UNDER the 82 db is what u have to be .

Bart,

Thanks for the Naviga DB level and DB measurement info.I knew the DB level in Naviga was down in the '80's somewhere but just exactly where I didn't know.

When Andy Brown and I talked about the Worlds he noted how nice it was coming home from the race with his ears not ringing.

Rod Geraghty

Rip, Preston, I think that you two just hit the nail on the head. The thing on the variable distance is really not even worth thinking about. Our present rule of 25ft. from the shoreline is ok now that you two have made some good points. I was thinking on the fact that our number one/six bouy line would need to be taking into acount so that every pond would be on the same page. But in all thoughts 50ft. minimum from shoreline to the bouy line and then 25ft. from shoreline would be the number. What this means is the minimum distance from the number one/six bouy line to the db meter would be 75ft. I believe that this will be just fine. Because if you can stay under the limit at this distance any lake that has a greater distance to the bouy line will be way under the limit or in other words it won't matter. The club with the greater distances would not even have to check there meter unless someone tried to run some big engines with nitro pipes.

Now as for as the muffling devices yea or nea. I really do not care but I do believe that if they are removed that the overall noise will go up.

Good job guys!

Mark Bullard

District 5 Director

Mark Bullard said:
Now as for as the muffling devices yea or nea. I really do not care but I do believe that if they are removed that the overall noise will go up.
110051[/snapback]

Not if we drop it to 92dB like we have been talking about. Clean up the rule, keep it simple & keep progressing downward on the limit. We can do this.... B)

Can someone tell me what a MAC powered 40 mono with a CMDI Parabolic may register on a dB meter? I've been running muffled pipes for about 3 years but have no idea how load my boats are. I guess if nobody has said anything, they must be OK.

Joe_Knesek said:
Can someone tell me what a MAC powered 40 mono with a CMDI Parabolic may register on a dB meter? I've been running muffled pipes for about 3 years but have no idea how load my boats are. I guess if nobody has said anything, they must be OK.
110059[/snapback]

Joe,

We run a 90dB rule here in Oz, and I've never seen the combo you described get caught for being too loud.

Tim.

Bart did bring up a good point:

"Spectators and neighbours of the lake don't care if there is a muffler on that **** LOUD boat , they HEAR a LOT OF NOISE .

They have NO knowledge on what the rules are or how difficult the mufler thing is .

Keep rules simple but with enough information .

Rules can be read in several ways sometimes , some people will always try to "bend" the rules in the way they see it . ( this is not said in anyone particular )"

We can still run into problems if there are neighboring homeowners that could care less about if we're IMPBA (or NAMBA or whoever for that matter) legal or not. They call the Cops and the Cops don't care either about if we're running below 92 or whatever dB. Some people might not want to hear 92 dB at 9:00 AM on a Sunday. There may be local ordinances to deal with too.

bzubee said:
So Rip[ you are going to have someone stand on the shore line and take readings of boats running di dyou forget about the accident up north already?  We don't need anyone by the shore line watching a meter.  That is another reason for the 25 foot set back.  That is what all people should be from the waters edge period.  I have seen boaters set up tents almost at the waters edge why they are not thinking at the time of set up a boat can and has come a shore almost anywhere do you really want someone to be in dange like that?
109972[/snapback]

Well I have said enough so I only have one thing left to say - Hello Self, - Yes Hello, - Self, - Yes, - Shut up, - OK, :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think we will work it out..

Rip

I was reading as to the offshore rule and came across some information. This may have already been mentioned but anyway................

For all that want to gripe over the 50-150 foot measuring distance,

a. It is strongly recommended that the front chute (between buoys 1 & 6) be no closer

than fifty (50) feet to shore for safety reasons.

b. Under no circumstances can the front chute be more than one hundred and fifty

(150) feet from shore.

That is right out of the rule book and has been there for years. Why wait til now to complain.

Back