IMPBA Rule Change

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Williamson

One topic (rule) that I think is very strange is the IMPBA 95db noise level. Not that it should not be 95db, but how it is stated in the rule book that you must use some type of muffled pipe or silencer. At this years Intenats I saw methods that had to be put on pipes to show they are making an attempt to lower the noise level, no matter if it was already under 95db. This does not make any sense to me.

I would like to submit a proposal to the IMPBA to change the ruling and simply state your boat must be under 95db at 50 feet. It does not matter how you do it or if you need to do anything, just that it is less than 95db.

To do so, this requires 5 signatures to submit the proposal. Like to request for 5 IMPBA members to email me and provide me with their personal email address (as I will do the same) to get your signatures to make this proposal as soon as possible.

If there is a concern with this, please let me know, as I do not want to propose this if it is going to cause a problem.

It would be good to lower the db ruling to 92 or even 90, but will not go there at this time:)

Thanks,

Rw

Russ Williamson said:
One topic (rule) that I think is very strange is the IMPBA 95db noise level. Not that it should not be 95db, but how it is stated in the rule book that you must use some type of muffled pipe or silencer. At this years Intenats I saw methods that had to be put on pipes to show they are making an attempt to lower the noise level, no matter if it was already under 95db. This does not make any sense to me.
I would like to submit a proposal to the IMPBA to change the ruling and simply state your boat must be under 95db at 50 feet. It does not matter how you do it or if you need to do anything, just that it is less than 95db.

To do so, this requires 5 signatures to submit the proposal. Like to request for 5 IMPBA members to email me and provide me with their personal email address (as I will do the same) to get your signatures to make this proposal as soon as possible.

If there is a concern with this, please let me know, as I do not want to propose this if it is going to cause a problem.

It would be good to lower the db ruling to 92 or even 90, but will not go there at this time:)

Thanks,

Rw

109022[/snapback]

Russ I have been saying all along that how you meet the limit should be up to you, just do it. :)

And the the lower dB levels is only a matter of natural progression. We will need to if we want to survive. :ph34r:

Piston1 said:
What do you all think about the way the rule is being enforced?
109025[/snapback]

I feel the rule as well as safety nets are loosely adhered to by most clubs,thus making clubs tryin to conform look like trouble makers. Ive been to races where noise was aweful and to races where nets were wore in hair not used to protect boaters and spectators......Mikey my 2cents

SayMikey said:
Piston1 said:
109025[/snapback]

I feel the rule as well as safety nets are loosely adhered to by most clubs,thus making clubs tryin to conform look like trouble makers. Ive been to races where noise was aweful and to races where nets were wore in hair not used to protect boaters and spectators......Mikey my 2cents

109028[/snapback]

Yup I can agree with that. I know one thing, anyone coming to the ODMBA Invitational better be under 95dB, the meter will be out starting at open water. :ph34r:

I agree with you Mikey. In my opinion, the whole thing has been a waste of effort so far, the boats are as loud as they have always been since I started model boating 15 yrs ago. Good luck with your race Don, I think you are in denial.

Truthfully yours,

JOSE

Piston1 said:
I agree with you Mikey.  In my opinion, the whole thing has been a waste of effort so far, the boats are as loud as they have always been since I started model boating 15 yrs ago.  Good luck with your race Don, I think you are in denial.Truthfully yours,

JOSE

109032[/snapback]

Hey Jose' it's not "my race" but so far everyone who has been running down there this year has been legal. Preston is the CD, he is very good & does not hesitate to enforce the rules. :)

I will say this there is NO WAY they are as loud as they used to be. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear what you are saying Don, but I can say that after attendig the two biggest races in the IMPBA circuit, enforcement of the rule has not even been mentioned in the drivers meeting, let along showing that the DB meter was at hand.

Piston1 said:
109025[/snapback]

The enforcement of the IMPBA DB rule is very difficult. What I have seen at

all races I have attended is that monitoring of DB's is always present, and

contestants all seem to be complying in some way to quiet thier boats.

This alone should be enough to see that we are going in the right direction.

I believe all classes, first round of heats were checked at Jackson, and there

was none over 95db.

Mark the rule is not for the first round first heat. The rule is for the entire event.

Piston1 said:
I hear what you are saying Don, but  I can say that after attendig the two biggest races in the IMPBA circuit, enforcement of the rule has not even been mentioned in the drivers meeting, let along showing that the DB meter was at hand.
109036[/snapback]

I will definitely agree with you there Jose.

The noise debate goes on!!!!!! If anyone was standing near the pits when the twins were started and taken to the water the db was 105. On the water it was down to 94 and below but it was very bad for the drivers and pit men in the pits, why not start dropping the db's to 92??? and keep going down untill about 85 db.

The boat noise is one of the reasons I now wear two hearing aids.

Just my 2 cents worth

Walt Barney

I don't know were every one was sitting at the internats. But I was just off of buoy one and there were a few F monos that were making my ears ring as they were turning. I know that they had to be over the 95db level. There were some talking about the reading of the db level and it was said as long as the boat was at that level in front of the meter it was legal.

I for one thing that this is crazy. The boat should be below the 95db at any point on the course.

Don Ferrette said:
Yup I can agree with that.  I know one thing, anyone coming to the ODMBA Invitational better be under 95dB, the meter will be out starting at open water.  :ph34r:
109029[/snapback]

Uh oh, I hope my tunnel passes! :)

Piston1 said:
I agree with you Mikey.  In my opinion, the whole thing has been a waste of effort so far, the boats are as loud as they have always been since I started model boating 15 yrs ago.  Good luck with your race Don, I think you are in denial.Truthfully yours,

JOSE

109032[/snapback]

Jose, as sure as death, anyone over 95db at any of Preston's races will comply or become a spectator.

Terry, how many db meters do you think a pond may need to enforce a db rule around the whole course? A couple thousand should do it. Don't forget the 4001 people you will need to marshell all of these meters. One extra marshell in case one of the marshells needs to take a leak.

I have been attending IMPBA races since 1988. There is far less noise at the races now than before and it is not because my hearing is diminishing either. I was at the Nats for three days and the outboards and F hydros are far more quiet than they used to be. Years ago I can remember twin hydros that would rattle your teeth and outboards that would bark from the backstretch with the pipes pointing back at the beach. And who remembers those old solid mount monos that made the engine sound like it was running in a metal drum!

I attended the 2000 IMPBA Internats in Milan, IL. The 2005 IMPBA Internats was noticably lower in engine sound because of the 95 db rule. However, as has been mentioned some engines were considerably louder when the end of the pipe was pointed at the beach. Monitoring the sound level across from buoy 1 would have provided different reading than just past the start/finish line.

Just my opinion, but I think the db meter should have been monitored during the 2 lap oval and 1/16 mile runs for U.S. 1 competition. Sure seemed to me that some of the boats qualifing for U.S. 1 were louder running the ovals and straightaways than when they were heat racing.

JD

Jerry Dunlap said:
Just my opinion, but I think the db meter should have been monitored during the 2 lap oval and 1/16 mile runs for U.S. 1 competition.  Sure seemed to me that some of the boats qualifing for U.S. 1 were louder running the ovals and straightaways than when they were heat racing. 
109060[/snapback]

And why wasn't it? :huh:

What's really amazing s how many people really do not know what the new rule says. I think if you all look up the new rule you might be suprised. I will admit i did not know of the wording of the new rule before going to the internats nor did the cd

I do have a question for some of the noise experts out there. There were 2 identical boats running identical engines with identical pipes and indentical mufflers.

One boat was consistantly at 94 db while the other boat was at 88 db's. How do you explain this.

Sincerel,

Allen Waddle

You thought they were identical but they were not. There's no other explanation.

Back