IMPBA Outboard question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that your pi$$ing in the wind on this stock class because someone is going to shoot it down.It has been tryed before on the 3.5 stock class. Someone is going to Bi th on the engines tear down.

Just my .002 cents

Geraghty has this great little display of 5 differnt P/S's, water nipples, etc. of the 3.5 K&B engine over the years. I am not sure who in the world would know which part came with which engine.

I did this display 5-6 years ago to demonstrate what you have to face with inspections.I know there are another 4 P&S's that are not on this board.""These parts were "only" for the early 12MM motors.""I would estimate that these are only 60-70% of the different internal parts that were offered for the 12MM motors.

Also in the 70's and 80's K&B also made a full line of 3.5 airplane motors,3.5 marine motors and 3.5 car motors all based on the same platform and all the internal parts interchange with the outboards.

Now which one of you box stock geniuses is going to assemble the "stock outboard" inspection packages for the CD's.Which one of you know what is a stock part is and what isn't.

There were several after market manufacturers that made internal performance parts for the 3.5 K&B's........RPM,McCoy,Mico Enterprises, L.A.W. ,Delta manufacturing,Paul Dassonville,Performance Model Products[Glen Dye],Tim Gillott and I am sure I haven't listed them all.With the exception of Paul Dassonville none of these manufacturers made parts any better than were offered by K&B.

All Tommy and I did with the existing Sport.21 rules was to make the 70's and 80's old style water-cooled motors competitive with the newer 3.5SS newer style motors which were not available for the better part of 2-1/2 years.

This existing rule package is the one single item that has led to the tremendous growth in the Sport .21 class popularity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess it would have been better for me to have tried to get my old IMPBA number back, the one I had in the 80's.

Piper Chuck]

What was your IMPBA number in the '80's?

Piper..

I think.. but im not positive.. if you check renewing member, you get your number back. Renewing does not mean consecutive years.

I think the IMPBA gives you a number and its your (if you check the box) for life..

Bill or John.. can you address this? Im just not sure. Would be good info..

Thanks

Grim

Grim, Rod.

I am starting to understand the real issue at hand. With all the parts and pieces out there who can really say for sure what is stock and what is not. I do now understand the spirit of sport 21 tunnel class as it illuminates several problems associated with box stock and governing of the rules, maybe I was naive in NAMBA when racing 7.5 stock OPC I just don’t remember that many problems, I guess part or most of it was everyone was running the newest engine out, it was monkey see monkey do, when the guys running the older stuff were getting beat they showed up at the next race with a new style engine kind of a no brainer after that, I guess my point is that the sport 40 OPC class seems like a great alternative. Sorry for stirring up the pot and I hope something works out.

Thanks,

Mike.

I have been involved in R/C Outboards for going on 30 years now and I still don't know of all the different parts that K&B has made over the years. It is just part of trying to improve products and manufacturing process that has caused so many different parts to exist.

It looks as if the current rules that regulate the 20 Sport Tunnel Class are going to prevail as a 'go by' here due to the complication involved with the $64.000,000 dollar question of what a Box Stock engine really is. I certainly do not want any part of that.

I don't want to see anybody bring a boat to a race and be told well friend, your son or daughters boat ran great and we know they had the time of their life but, our rules are so technical and over regulated that after our teardown, we found a part inside here that is going to cause them to be disqualfied.

Think about you having to tell that liitle person that they are disqualified...I wouldn't want that job. Let's not over regulate ourselves here guys. We are not racing for a $20,000 purse or anything.

Like Rod has pointed out, it would take a Philadelphia Lawyer to sort out this situation during an ongoing racing event. Having someone knowledgeable enough (and I know of one at this point...Rod) to make these types of calls at every racing event all across the IMPBA racing area, would most likely be a nightmarish endeavor to say the least. I'm sure that this is why the board will not allow such an avoidable situation as the box stock rule to pass into the rule book.

Another thing to think of is, no host club I know of is going to (knowing the complexity of the box stock situation), put our Sport classes on there race bill with the potential for this type of litigation and possible member disapointment to accure. We want clubs to welcome our additional classes not tell us that they don't have the time for all the problems associated with it.

Each view of this situation has their valid points but the real goal here is to race the class and have some form of light weight regulation doing so and above all, KEEP IT FUN. This may be challenged somewhere down the road but with limited time left to get this class off and running for the upcomming year, we need to go with what we know works and what we know will get approved. If the board rejects the proposal, we will have no way to regulate the class for the most part of the 2006 racing season.

We could litigate this subject from now on and never get anywhere.

I have tried to see how the box stock rule could be made as a option but it just is not going to happen.

It reminded me of an ole saying;

Confidence: That feeling you have before you fully understand the scope of the problem.

I hope that people will see that nobody is trying to cover up a secret engine modification that will keep them out front by using the current method of regulation. The speeds you are seeing these days from O/B Sport engines comes from learning your boat, engine, prop setup and driving. That is what this Sport Class will teach you.

-Carl,

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting your old number reassigned comes down to one thinhg how far back the database goes at some time back in the history the data base was purged and we can find some numbers in some of the old membership list but some are lost forever. AS it was stated mark renewing and write a small note that you would like your old number back if you know what it is write it on the form. John will do the research and if he finds your old number will use it if not he no choice but to assign a new number to you.

Most clubs do not mind offering the B SPORT Tunnel class since teching it is very simple Now Stock classes are a different subject.

Getting your old number reassigned comes down to one thinhg how far back the database goes at some time back in the history the data base was purged and we can find some numbers in some of the old membership list but some are lost forever. AS it was stated mark renewing and write a small note that you would like your old number back if you know what it is write it on the form. John will do the research and if he finds your old number will use it if not he no choice but to assign a new number to you.

Most clubs do not mind offering the B SPORT Tunnel class since teching it is very simple Now Stock classes are a different subject.
Thanks Bill.. got it..

I had a feeling that the old numbers "might" still be hanging around.. Its to bad that some might have been lost but i can understand it.

Everybody else...

Is this topic dead?

If so im quite glad the stock thing came up again.. Its always good to review the thoughts of others. As stated earler, i feel its a good thing to have the view of a new racer and the knolage of the old to help guide the IMPBA.

Outboard racing is a passion.. Thanks for all that posted in this thread..

Regards

Grimracer

Latest posts

Back