IMPBA Outboard definition

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F1 and sst45 when I worked at Second Effort back in the late 80's. Never raced them though.

Putting me in a tunnel slows it down many MPH. I did drive E/P G/P J/P and Mod VP from 1976-1992. Have set up a few tunnels from SE SJ and Mod 50-90-U. Over on the model side I have run OB mono, hydro and tunnels nitro, gas and FE.

At this point I see RC tunnels dying and over defining the rules now may loose more racers. However there are some good suggestions as to transom angle, and allowable transom inset. I have not seen a full size transom inset more than 10% of the length. Obviously the singe steerable power and drive unit that can be removed from the transom applies. The "turntable lowers" are stretching things but I have never seen stumble blocks or large turn fins on a full size boat either.

Mic

There have been some comments about how the turn table motors came to be because there were no 'standard' lower units left. Really? Can always find K&B 7.5's on ebay. Then there is Lawless and Hyperformance. Still, if that is the reason some are going to claim, then how come these alternative outboard drives did not come about when there was only ONE choice for many years....K&B.

This came about because many clubs run 'open' tunnel class. The lay down extended drives can handle the power of 60, 80 and 90 engines. (it is basically a shorter version of an inboard drive)

I drove Mark Hoppers boat with an upside down Grand Prix 45 on a K&B leg and won the WTC. I can tell you, that boat was the fastest and best handling outboard anyone could ever want. So a turn table set up is not a better mouse trap. Like I said in an earlier post, someone figured out how to defeat the rules in order to have a super bad F tunnel boat.

Here is a thought. What about F1 Open Outboard class? (not just open tunnel) Any hull, any engine and yes as long as the motor and drive swivel together then run it. All other standard outboard classes run the 10% rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back