IMPBA Legal or Not

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don

Would you say you had a major advantage because of its unique desighn racing against other hulls with your Winston Eagle.

I am just curious

Yes I am going to like my new Lobster and if I could ever figure out how to post a pic or two I would.

Tim K
Well it cornered better than any scale I've owned, almost too good so I guess that was an advantage.

Ah we have finally really come to the culprit of this whole discussion! The Lobster boat. While totally legal in Scale as it was a real boat, in Sport classes it is about as sticky as subject as the that infernal white "The Boat" is in Scale. This is cracking me up watching this.

Ah we have finally really come to the culprit of this whole discussion! The Lobster boat. While totally legal in Scale as it was a real boat, in Sport classes it is about as sticky as subject as the that infernal white "The Boat" is in Scale. This is cracking me up watching this.

I must agree that it has been an entertaining read but you have to ask yourself

if the Lobster boat has such a great advantage then why is every person who races scale not running one ?

How has the scale class survived with such an offender and remain one of the most competetive classes in IMPBA all these years.

Do you see were I am going with this ?.

Tim k

Last edited by a moderator:
I know....there are very few Winstons I've seen or heard of that have been spectacular runners as a Scale. I've seen some that have been respectable to not so good. But the boats that are of the Lobster style in Sport 20 are fast as all get out.

I must agree that it has been an entertaining read but you have to ask yourself

if the Lobster boat has such a great advantage then why is every person who races scale not running one ?

How has the scale class survived with such an offender and remain one of the most competetive classes in IMPBA all these years.

Do you see were I am going with this ?.

Tim k
The scale class survived the Circus canard craze a few years ago. A few good boaters were able to set that boat up to dominate the scale races for a while.

The Winston Lobster boat is a pretty hard one to do and it needs some mods from the Newton plans to setup correct. The eglass kit I have of the Lobster boat has the mods and has a setup prcecure written for it that works. I ran that boat a few years before making a kit of it.

Dons Winston lobster that set the 1/4oval record was one of my Winstons he built and setup.

The sport 20 class will survive in Namba I bet that boat isnt going to kill off all the other designs.

HA Now thats what we are looking for Glenn whats the history on that one?
Hey Phil, I seen that thing on Ebay and thought i'd fit the modified rigger theme here. It's a Dumas Lil Rascal disguised as an old shovelnose :lol:

The sport 20 class will survive in Namba I bet that boat isnt going to kill off all the other designs
Alfred Lanza has a new IMPBA legal Sport 21 that's going to smoke everybody (according to Alfred) Maybe some of the SoCal guys can comment who seen it last weekend.

Very entertaining... I love this. I had no idea the can I was opening... :D

Hi Guys,

So would this be more "sport legal"?

Paul.

sportrigger.jpg

Paul,

This boat was originated from the Whiplash. Mike used the plans to make this boat. If you look at the standard Whiplash and look at this boat, you can see where he thing speed can be obtained. I believe he went 98mph or somewhere around there with this design (QD Power). I have been 90mph with a Zenoah.

I am seeing more and more innovation in the Limited circuit. Mostly coming out of the Staudacher camp. The boat Paul showed us earlier can be bought in a Kit. Staudacher is also making boats with a dropped belly pan to get the shaft angle lower. These boats are very fast. Not absolutely dominating, but I believe this is the future.

Innovation is great for our hobby and the sport. It doesn't bother me one bit to see NAMBA have their loose rules and IMPBA have their tight rules. Innovation will still be in both organizations, just with different rules to play with.

I can see both views of IMPBA and NAMBA. IMPBA wants to keep the tradition alive with awesome deck to deck racing. NAMBA wants to be on the cutting edge. Both have their positive aspects, and both have their negative aspects.

If IMPBA wants to maintain the "integrity" of the class, then the rules must be updated to reflect the changes going on in the limited circuit.

I love the sport boats!

Sport20 is going to be HUGE in IMPBA!

Brian

The sport 20 class will survive in Namba I bet that boat isnt going to kill off all the other designs
Alfred Lanza has a new IMPBA legal Sport 21 that's going to smoke everybody (according to Alfred) Maybe some of the SoCal guys can comment who seen it last weekend.

See the competition is alive

Whats Alfreds boat looking like, maybe we can dissect it for him.

See the competition is alive

Whats Alfreds boat looking like, maybe we can dissect it for him.

My question is have either boat been teched my the IMPBA Guru? Lets get it done and move on. Oh And i was around when PINK WAS IN yep think about it the PICKLES had to run in lane 2-3-4 cause Larry Maglinger always had lane one. And he has the trophys to prove it. Imagine a Circus with a MONSTER MAC or CMB...WOWZERS.....Mike

The boat that Alfred has is a design from the NW. It was designed by Arno Birts. Gary Pace of Wenatchee built the boat. I had him change a few things as he was building it. The sponson angle was too shallow and not deep enough to get it to run level. It was up for sale at the hobby show this year. I hooked Alfred up with it a couple of weeks ago. It is a traditional style sport boat. It is fast. I run a snake sport 20 that a buddy of mine builds. It too is a traditional boat and hauls butt. This boat, I believe, will break the record for the 1 mile, no problem. I am just in the process of painting it right now. Should be back on the water in a couple of weeks. I have run it a few times at some of the fun runs and keeps getting better as it goes. The traditional style can compete with the Pelerino and Tuttle boat. The problem with the sport 20 class is that it never really has been that popular. Without popularity you will not see much inovation. Most of the available boats over the years were not that good. The NW has been an inovator with the sport 40 class over the years because it has been a very popular class. There have been quite a few different designs that have been run over the years making the class better as it goes. Now the Mutt 2 is the top dog with setting SAW, 2 lap, and the 1 mile records. More people designing and building different boats is what drives a class. The motors are all pretty much going to give you the same output. Don't look to the highly modified motor to push a slug of a boat into the winners circle. Just not going to happen. The big gains in this class are going to come from a proper built boat. The only way to find out what that is, is to build boats. Lots of them.

Mike

Hey Mike, I need some of your turn fins. I run a fin on my new boat that I bought from you at the nats in LA. Works perfect. Let me know. Thanks, Bob

Nice... Did you make a mold for that cowl ? Interesting looking boat. have you done quite a few of these?

keep up the good work! Bob T.

Nice... Did you make a mold for that cowl ? Interesting looking boat. have you done quite a few of these?

Yes, I made the mold for the cowl. They are vac bagged, .25 lbs.

We started with a David Frank/ Jerry Dunlap sport40 about 14 years ago. From those plans, we kept changing things until we designed the latest design sport40 4 years ago (about 6 different variations). Nothing is similar to the D&F Sport40 now, but you have to start somewhere.

Two years ago, I scaled the sport40 up to a Gas boat which is very successful.

This year, I scaled down the sport40 for the sport20. This has been the most challenging design I have ever done. Trying to get all the stuff in a tiny boat is difficult...plus making the pipe hidden with both the rear and front exhaust. It has been a lot of fun though.

You can see pictures of the sport40 and gas boat by going to www.blazermarine.com and click on the gallery.

Brian

Yes, I made the mold for the cowl. They are vac bagged, .25 lbs.

We started with a David Frank/ Jerry Dunlap sport40 about 14 years ago. From those plans, we kept changing things until we designed the latest design sport40 4 years ago (about 6 different variations). Nothing is similar to the D&F Sport40 now, but you have to start somewhere.

Two years ago, I scaled the sport40 up to a Gas boat which is very successful.

This year, I scaled down the sport40 for the sport20. This has been the most challenging design I have ever done. Trying to get all the stuff in a tiny boat is difficult...plus making the pipe hidden with both the rear and front exhaust. It has been a lot of fun though.

You can see pictures of the sport40 and gas boat by going to www.blazermarine.com and click on the gallery.

Brian
Very nice boat Brian .........Mike

Latest posts

Back