IMPBA Legal or Not

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I race in IMPBA.

Bill where did you get this photo from? Its my 1/8 scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I race in IMPBA.

Bill where did you get this photo from? Its my 1/8 scale.
This is where I went to from the add by Bob Tuttle for his new sport 20 hydro:

Guys, after hours of building plugs, molds and whatnot, my new sport 21 hull is ready. I tested at our last race with great results. The boat is similar to the boat Jim Wilson ran at the nats a couple years back. A namba legal sport 21 hull kit consisting of CNC cut birch ply and an epoxy cowl. It's easy to build, it snaps together dry. once you've got it where you want it on jig, apply thin ca to the slip joints. An advanced builder can have it built in a few days. to order paypal 195.00 plus 15.00 shiping in US. to: [email protected]

This boat is very fast and stable. To see a pic go to member photo galleries/rhtmarine

Delivery time two - three weeks awesome boat!!

Bob Tuttle NAMBA276

Check the Intl'National Waters picture gallery and type in the albumn search: rhtmarine

Anybody out there,

I don't see any hull classification rules for Sp 20 in the IMPBA rule book. Is this something the committee decides on under their hull classification summital rule? Just curious.

Mike

Hi Mike,

It is a brand new class, just voted on this January and will be effective this year. It has not made it into the Rulebook yet, but will very soon. The rules are available on the IMPBA website under Forms and Voting. Find the ballot for Sport 20.

The rules are nearly identical to the current sport 40 rules with the exception of strut location.

Therefore, the answer, as Don put it, is NO. It is not legal in Sport 20 in IMPBA. It is legal, of course, in Hydro class.

Thanks for your interest.

BTW, I love your turn fins.

Brian Schymik

D14 Director IMPBA

Guys,

Might I make a suggestion? If you adopt the namba rules for sport 21 anyone can come to your national event. This boat is different, I'm a tradionalist. I like boats that look like the real ones. Just so happens that in my district which adopted sport 21 after I built my first wood boat in 1998 and had to run with the a hydros. I did pretty well and wrote a prosal to add sport 21 to our district racing. It passed and the first few years were good, but soon a neighbor of mine who also races, built this "rigger" and pretty much kicked our butts. I tried epoxy hulls and they just didn't perform. So... I set out to design a new sport boat. I used things I've seen on other boats and came up with the new boat. I will say this, the boat is incredably well balanced. I cut that first boat out and slipped it all together dry. And was amazed when I set it on a flat surface. It rocked right up on it's sponsons. At that moment I knew that I had solved the biggest problem with all my prevous hulls. Getting the tail to come up. I no longer have to use horsepower to develope lift... all thrust baby! this boat with a mod engine would be a riot!

As for the 40 boat. No idea yet. It will take about 20% more material. We'll see.

Bob B)

What if I may ask makes my boat not legal in impba? In namba you must hide the pipe, no rear ride shoes, drive dog one lengh beyond the transom, and a minimum width at the transom of 4 inches. Mine is 5.25 inches at the transom. all the ride pad/ afterplane rules are the same as for sport 40 II. why do your rules differ so much? just like to know. Thanks, Bob B)

What if I may ask makes my boat not legal in impba? In namba you must hide the pipe, no rear ride shoes, drive dog one lengh beyond the transom, and a minimum width at the transom of 4 inches. Mine is 5.25 inches at the transom. all the ride pad/ afterplane rules are the same as for sport 40 II. why do your rules differ so much? just like to know. Thanks, Bob B)
Hey Bob,

The response I got was something about a "Modified Rigger". But no one can really explain what the definition of this is.? I don't think you built an outrigger than modified it to run sport class. Right? My interpretation of "modified rigger" would be just that, an outrigger modified to run in sport class. So by my understanding it would be legal fitting all other dimensional requirements. I think that the NAMBA rules are more defined and easier to determine what is legal and what is not and leaves no loop hole for someone to say NO NO NO That thing isn't legal just because it is a new idea in boat design.

Can someone please define modified rigger?

-Buck-

Hey Bob,

The response I got was something about a "Modified Rigger". But no one can really explain what the definition of this is.? I don't think you built an outrigger than modified it to run sport class. Right? My interpretation of "modified rigger" would be just that, an outrigger modified to run in sport class. So by my understanding it would be legal fitting all other dimensional requirements. I think that the NAMBA rules are more defined and easier to determine what is legal and what is not and leaves no loop hole for someone to say NO NO NO That thing isn't legal just because it is a new idea in boat design.

Can someone please define modified rigger?

-Buck-
Hey Buck it's basically that the boat does not have a consistant surface running from sponson top deck to transom. That makes the sponsons seperate from the center section therefore it is a modified outrigger. As for your intepretation of the boat in question I personally believe it is just the opposite, it began life as a rigger with two ram wings & two canard wings added to hold sponsons rather than boom tubes but that is just my opinion. I do agree that the IMPBA sport rules need to be better defined, guess this makes for another proposal for me to think about submitting. The pen & paper have been active at my place lately.............. :rolleyes:

Hi Mike,

It is a brand new class, just voted on this January and will be effective this year. It has not made it into the Rulebook yet, but will very soon. The rules are available on the IMPBA website under Forms and Voting. Find the ballot for Sport 20.

The rules are nearly identical to the current sport 40 rules with the exception of strut location.

Therefore, the answer, as Don put it, is NO. It is not legal in Sport 20 in IMPBA. It is legal, of course, in Hydro class.

Thanks for your interest.

BTW, I love your turn fins.

Brian Schymik

D14 Director IMPBA
I went to the forms and voting section of the IMPBA website for the Sport 20 rules and I will be damned if I can find the Sport 20 ballot.

Where is it........or am I just blind???

Sorry Rod, you are not yet senile :) The ballot was removed. My bad.

Here it is :

IMPBA 2005 Ballot #05-002: Sport 20 Hydro (A)

Proposal to add SPORTSMAN 20 HYDRO to rule book.

New page H - 8 will add the following class:

Sportsman 20 Hydro (Sport 20 Hydro)

1. Boat must be inboard powered.

2. Hull must be a three (3) point hydroplane configuration and resemble a Limited

or Unlimited hydroplane design of past or present.

Hulls NOT permitted: outrigger, modified outrigger, tunnels, or canard hulls.

3. Boat must have a name, or sponsors name, or logo, or a racing number affixed to

the hull. (a local or national or fictitious sponsor name is acceptable)

4. Hull shall have a minimum length of 27 inches, and a maximum length of 35 inches.

5. If the bow is recessed behind the tips of the sponsons, that recess shall be no larger than

25% of the overall length of the boat. (refer to Sport Hull Configurations)

6. Boat must have a driver in open cockpit or simulated enclosed cockpit

7. A strut width no greater than 9/16 inch wide may be mounted either under the hull or on the transom with

the farthest end of the drive dog, as measured from the transom not extending out more than 3 inches.

8. See Sport Hull pictorial for clarification of Sport Hull Configurations.

Engine Specifications

1. IMPBA class B engine allowed in SPORTSMAN 20 HYDRO

2. Twin engine installations are NOT allowed in SPORTSMAN 20 HYDRO

General Rules

Racing to be conducted following current IMPBA Contest and Racing Rules, racing

procedures and format.

Also look in the current rulebook for pictures of the Sport 40. These will apply to sport 20 also as noted in rule number 5 and 8.

hope this helps to clarify.

Brian

IMPBA should never allow a boat like this in the class. Just as Bob said, his traditional boat couldn't keep up with the "modified rigger" design. If these boats were allowed, then all of the boat would have to conform to this design to compete.

The "Modified Rigger" rule needs to be described. You can't just say the transom must be X dimensions wide because of the conventionals (round noses). It has to do with how the sponsons are secured, and what the deck looks like, but how do we describe it?

Brian

Back