IMPBA Internats Update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topfuel666

Some questions and concerns have been surfacing about the upcoming Internats at Elmira, NY that I will address.

What are the entry fees for members under 18 years old?

These drivers will be treated a family members and will not have to pay the $45 entry fee but will be responsible for $10 for each boat entered. If they wish to attend the awards banquet they will have to purchase that ticket separately ($12).

I hear the race course is too small?

Since we moved to this site 3 years ago, many improvements have been made. The front straight shoreline has been straightened to remove a protrusion. Note: Google maps does not reflect these changes. The driver's stand area has been raised and topped with a concrete pad providing an excellent view of the course. Small concrete pads replaced the exisiting wooden launch docks providing a safe and stable area to launch and retrieve from.

The course is conservative and remains a 'Drivers' type course. Many classes will be limited to no more than 5 boats and ALL remaining classes will have no more than 6 boats in a heat. Based on our experience this will provide for some top notch racing.

If there are any other questions, please let me know. Thanks for reading.

Bill Kozuck

this is what was posted on JIM'S WOW!!

Regretfully, we have been forced to cancel this year's Regatta due to the lack of registrations.

Bill

Bill Kozuck

this is what was posted on JIM'S WOW!!
Regretfully, we have been forced to cancel this year's Regatta due to the lack of registrations.

Bill

Bill Kozuck

I believe that was posted here yesterday as well, and then removed.

RJ

I believe that was posted here yesterday as well, and then removed. RJ
Correct as I removed it based on what was sent out at 9am yesterday (to the board members) from the district director, it seemed premature. After numerous phone calls with our IMPBA president Kevin Sheren it became apparent last night as to their intentions. DD e-mail was as follows-
The Elmira race committee has been working very hard to prepare all the tasks needed to host the 2009 Internats. One of the most important items is preparing a budget based on expected income from race entries. Here the committee has done an excellent job in keeping the costs down and yet still provide a safe and quality race. To that end all that was needed was race entries. As of this date there is only 100 boats registered, which is far less than the number required to break even for the event. The race committee will be holding a meeting to decide whether or not it is even feasible to continue. Within the next few days a decision will be made so this is preliminary advice to the board.

You will note it said "the race committee will be holding a meeting" and "within the next few days a decision will be made" yet the cancellation went up a couple hours later, seems this decision was already well in place. When we hosted the Internats in Huntsville back in '99 Priscilla Tyndall was still adding entries two days before we left to go down there and this event is (was) still over 5 weeks out............

Last edited by a moderator:
I was getting my entry around to send in. Should I still send it or wait? I know of a few more entries that was going to go out this week also. Let us know.

Thanks

Greg

When we hosted the NAMBA Nationals here in Colorado in July 2008 we received 75% or our entries during the last 3 weeks of the registration period.

This is very sad to see. Hope IMPBA gets this decision reversed very quickly.

Robert Holland

This is just my opinion so it might not be much but... :D

Ya dont cancel the internats.. :eek: ya might end up dropping the US-1 racing and maybe making it more like a weekend race but to not race! that’s just silly. :huh:

Ya got 100 boats... adjust the schedule, dew dates, trophies, whatever, and give em some wood, make-em national champions!

I have been to more way better SMALL races they I have been to LARGE.. :p

ROCK AND ROLL RACING IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT! :D :D :D

Grim

To even have a rumor going around of cancelling the Internats is silly. This is a verbal contract between the host club and the IMPBA. As with many other races, the majority of the entries creep in during the last few weeks before the deadline. When Priscilla was taking in entries for the 1999 Internats that is EXACTLY what happened. In fact we even took in around 20 or more boats AFTER the deadline. I'm sorry, but if the host club is talking about backing out of their verbal contract to do the Internats with 4 or 5 weeks to go before the race, somebody has decided that they just don't want to do it at all. IMPBA should park the whole club for a year. Make 'em think about it for a while. We had problems with that club when they did the Internats in 1997 ( I won't go into that here ). But what do I know about anything..................

Dick Tyndall

IMPBA President 1995-1998

Contest Director, IMPBA Internats 1999

This is a shame but for the impba par for the cource. Some districts get great support, others get none. Just my 2 cents :angry:

I am not even a IMPBA member but I was looking to go to the internats this year as I am in Jersey. I know I haven't entered yet but I was waiting to put my entry in as I was waiting on work load as we are slow. But I guess that trip is going to be canceled. Oh well I guess I'll try some were else as we have have no race from this weekend till the end of August.

This is a shame but for the impba par for the cource. Some districts get great support, others get none. Just my 2 cents :angry:
Tom i would like to know exactly what districts you dont think get total support from the IMPBA. I think the IMPBA goes above and beyond supporting all of the districts equal. I am not seeing your point.

Back