IMPBA "F" class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to send a YELL OUT Hi guys, Good Topic 45degree's Timing an lots of HorsePressure lol

Ya know if you could take that dang glow plug out of the big engs it would be a lot easer to run them on nitro.

Kinda ties your hands when it comes to trying new things.

Why bother if you can't race it. Will just be a shelf queen.

That is why I got started in RC boating as any thing goes.

This is what fuels imagination and change.

To many rules just put a wet blanket on the hobby.

The Charleston club (CMB) has offered for the past 3 Fall Nationals (2011, 2012 & 2013) the Single Engine F Hydro class and we had enough entries to have 2 heats of 6 boats each at the race setup time just before the race. We lost 1 each for 2 races and ended up with 11 running and we run 6 boat heats. The class CID limit used was 1.05" CID. That was established as such due to the largest engines being run was the CMB 1.01" bored out to 1.05". I am more than willing to consider raising it it there reason and support to do so.

There was and is a lot of support for the class and many single engine racers prefer to run in the single class than against the twins. I expect the class will continue to be supported well in the future and I hope we will have enough to expand to 3 heats or more at future Fall Nats races for the class.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Charleston club (CMB) has offered for the past 3 Fall Nationals (2011, 2012 & 2013) the Single Engine F Hydro class and we had enough entries to have 2 heats of 6 boats each at the race setup time just before the race. We lost 1 each for 2 races and ended up with 11 running and we run 6 boat heats. The class CID limit used was 1.05" CID. That was established as such due to the largest engines being run was the CMB 1.01" bored out to 1.05". I am more than willing to consider raising it it there reason and support to do so.

There was and is a lot of support for the class and many single engine racers prefer to run in the single class than against the twins. I expect the class will continue to be supported well in the future and I hope we will have enough to expand to 3 heats or more at future Fall Nats races for the class.
I think that 1.05" is a good limit. We discussed that here about 3 years ago. There are bigger engines out there that could be put to use....but A good 30cc nitro engine would put the boat size and weight out of the scope that the class was started for in the first place. I think that IMPBA sould make that a permanent size classification. With that class and "Twin Nitro Hydro" class, as official, we would then have our "Pink boat" class and "F" hydro can be returned to the original rule that has been with us for 60 years. Then David and others that have chimed in on this subject are free to think outside the box!...which is what I always did like about IMPBA F hydro class.
default_smile.png

Cool stuff! What has F.E. & Nitro 1/8 scale have to do with my question about running Spark in F class?

So far I was told it was NOT allowed as of six years ago.

However, Six years later the rule can not be found in the rule book...as of yesterday!

So what makes it a rule?

Below are the engine rules that cover F class as of today:

Technical Standards
Engine, Motor and Hull Classifications
The
IMPBA
will herein clearly define both engine and motor classes. Any changes to either will require approval twelve (12) months prior to January 1
they are to become effective. The only exception to this is if engine classes are so realigned that a currently legal size engine or plant
becomes illegal. In this case, the change will require approval three (3) years prior to the January1 it becomes effective.

Engine/Motor Definitions and Classifications

1. Displacement
The cubic inch displacement of a power plant shall be the sum total of the displacement of all cylinders in the power
plant. The cubic inch displacement of multi-cylinder engines, two or more engines driving attached together and two or
more engines driving separate propellers will be added together to determine the total displacement and thus the class the power will
run in. To determine engine class, read calculated engine displacement to three decimal places, drop all remaining figures.

2.Internal Combustion Engine Classes

Class Cubic Inch Displacement Metric Class
A 0.000 thru 0.129 2.1 CC
B 0.130 thru 0.219 3.5 CC
C 0.220 thru 0.300 4.9 CC
D 0.301 thru 0.458 7.5 CC
E 0.459 thru 0.670 11.0 CC
F 0.671 thru 1.830 30.0 CC

Formulas: CC X .061 = CID, CID divided by .061 = CC

Note: For Large Scale Gasoline engine classes see section “I”, Large Scale Gasoline.

Nothing here about SPARK IGNITION.

Andy,

Unless I am missing something, as long as you run specialty fuel, (such as methanol), in your spark engine and not gasoline, you may be onto something here. There may also be a mistake in the past where the changes Don referred to that were voted on, were simply left out of the current rule book. It will be interesting as to where this thread leads....
default_wink.png

Cool stuff! What has F.E. & Nitro 1/8 scale have to do with my question about running Spark in F class?

So far I was told it was NOT allowed as of six years ago.

However, Six years later the rule can not be found in the rule book...as of yesterday!

So what makes it a rule?

Below are the engine rules that cover F class as of today:

Technical Standards
Engine, Motor and Hull Classifications
The
IMPBA
will herein clearly define both engine and motor classes. Any changes to either will require approval twelve (12) months prior to January 1
they are to become effective. The only exception to this is if engine classes are so realigned that a currently legal size engine or plant
becomes illegal. In this case, the change will require approval three (3) years prior to the January1 it becomes effective.

Engine/Motor Definitions and Classifications

1. Displacement
The cubic inch displacement of a power plant shall be the sum total of the displacement of all cylinders in the power
plant. The cubic inch displacement of multi-cylinder engines, two or more engines driving attached together and two or
more engines driving separate propellers will be added together to determine the total displacement and thus the class the power will
run in. To determine engine class, read calculated engine displacement to three decimal places, drop all remaining figures.

2.Internal Combustion Engine Classes

Class Cubic Inch Displacement Metric Class
A 0.000 thru 0.129 2.1 CC
B 0.130 thru 0.219 3.5 CC
C 0.220 thru 0.300 4.9 CC
D 0.301 thru 0.458 7.5 CC
E 0.459 thru 0.670 11.0 CC
F 0.671 thru 1.830 30.0 CC

Formulas: CC X .061 = CID, CID divided by .061 = CC

Note: For Large Scale Gasoline engine classes see section “I”, Large Scale Gasoline.

Nothing here about SPARK IGNITION.

Andy,

Unless I am missing something, as long as you run specialty fuel, (such as methanol), in your spark engine and not gasoline, you may be onto something here. There may also be a mistake in the past where the changes Don referred to that were voted on, were simply left out of the current rule book. It will be interesting as to where this thread leads....
default_wink.png
Yes, Ron! It has all been resolved. The membership voted NO "Spark Ignition" in 2007, but the rule book was never updated! The IMPBA office is now updating the rule book.

However,if you read all of the posts here, and this complete thread carefully, you may find that you agree with my thoughts that the new ruling should be over turned.

I will be running a single in Charleston for the fall Nats in F single . My spare 67 boat with VAC 91 .
Yeah baby!! I'll be there and at the Nito Nats with my 101 single for single F Hydro, my 91 twin for regular F Hydro and my 101 twin for Twin Nitro Hydro. Gonna burn a barrel full of CH[SIZE=70%]3[/SIZE]NO[SIZE=70%]2[/SIZE] in 2014!
default_cool.png

I will be running a single in Charleston for the fall Nats in F single . My spare 67 boat with VAC 91 .
Yeah baby!! I'll be there and at the Nito Nats with my 101 single for single F Hydro, my 91 twin for regular F Hydro and my 101 twin for Twin Nitro Hydro. Gonna burn a barrel full of CH[SIZE=70%]3[/SIZE]NO[SIZE=70%]2[/SIZE] in 2014!
default_cool.png
Yeah baby!!! Only if pit ***** tosses it in an Crip 1 calls for Crip 2. Who luvs ya, brother.
default_wink.png
......==={}

default_cool.png
Yeah baby!!! Only if pit ***** tosses it in an Crip 1 calls for Crip 2. Who luvs ya, brother.
default_wink.png
......==={}
Wouldn't have it any other way brutha RRRay!
default_biggrin.png

The current IMPBA F hydro rules as well as the 2007 no spark addition are and have been working just fine. If clubs want to "mix it up" at a local level they certainly can, that's why we have Open classes now. The rules are there for a reason and the boaters must work within the confines of said rules, sorry but that's how it is. Also keep in mind that regardless of what class a boat winds up in it still must be a LEGAL boat as defined by our rules as this also has a direct bearing on our insurance. Last thing one would want to tell the insurance underwriter is that something happened with a boat that our rule book doesn't even recognize.

There is a defiant gap here. there is no place for a spark ign, nitro burning eng.

Seams no one wants this to happen. what a shame it would bring us to the next level.

So I guess we will be stuck in the past for ever.

There is a defiant gap here. there is no place for a spark ign, nitro burning eng.

Seams no one wants this to happen. what a shame it would bring us to the next level.

So I guess we will be stuck in the past for ever.
Sounds like a safety issue to me.

YA that's it ,a safety issue.

Cut me a break.

So lets talk about insurance next.

More like a stuck in the past and don't want change.

GAS verses Nitro is more like it, divide the hobby even more, why not. has worked good till this point.

I think the weight limit will keep it all in line.

So a 140mph saw boat is less dangerous than a 100mph heat racing boat?

Lets start splitting hairs this will do the hobby lots of good.

There are lower cost alternatives coming on the market now that will facilitate the use of nitro with spark ignition.

I know lets come up with a ballistics chart. weight verses speed. If you go over the max force you cant run the boat.
default_rolleyes.gif

YA that's it ,a safety issue.

Cut me a break.

So lets talk about insurance next.

More like a stuck in the past and don't want change.

GAS verses Nitro is more like it, divide the hobby even more, why not. has worked good till this point.

I think the weight limit will keep it all in line.

So a 140mph saw boat is less dangerous than a 100mph heat racing boat?

Lets start splitting hairs this will do the hobby lots of good.

There are lower cost alternatives coming on the market now that will facilitate the use of nitro with spark ignition.

I know lets come up with a ballistics chart. weight verses speed. If you go over the max force you cant run the boat.
default_rolleyes.gif
David wrote: " So a 140mph saw boat is less dangerous than a 100mph heat racing boat?"

Very good point David!

The current NAMBA T Cat record is 133.5 mph (137mph one way) This boat has enough power to go much faster as soon as he figures out how to keep it on the water...he is gradually making gains. The boat is 56" long and weighs 24 pounds This is a fully IMPBA LEGAL boat! Soon a 24 pound rigger will be built with the same power that will go MUCH faster!

Toy boat racing seems to have something for everyone, for those that like to argue small details, there's plenty of that, and for those that like to race, there's even a little of that. Displacement should be the only rule, but then what would the nit-pickers do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back