IMPBA "F" class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Brown

Is there an IMPBA rule concerning running a "spark ignition" engine in "F" class?

If you listen real well, you can almost hear the wheels turning from just South of AB's place here in Tampa
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The IMPBA F class is glow ign ONLY. About 6 or 7 years ago the membership voted to NOT allow spark ign in the f class any more.

Kevin

Im pretty sure the smallest Gas motor exceeds the limit.BUT most allow it. Guess it would depend on the host club..I see no concerns mixing the class these days as most good gas Riggers run really well,not like the tugs they were 10 years ago.

Sorry boys.....But Andy is asking a question that I have SEEN on a boat. And on how Top fuel and Funny Car Run....I know what he is asking.....Cause that is What I an thinking....
default_wink.png
;)
default_wink.png

Im pretty sure the smallest Gas motor exceeds the limit.BUT most allow it. Guess it would depend on the host club..I see no concerns mixing the class these days as most good gas Riggers run really well,not like the tugs they were 10 years ago.
You need to go back and read Kevin's post. F class is in fact glow ignition ONLY.

A spark plug in a nitro eng would be a good thing for the hobby.

spark plug use piston with ring? not allow at F hydro classes? what point
default_huh.png
good question
default_wacko.png

Hey Andy:

Take that TK, put a glow plug head on it and crank it up on 70%, wouldn't be a problem for a man of your talents...
default_rolleyes.gif

The IMPBA F class is glow ign ONLY. About 6 or 7 years ago the membership voted to NOT allow spark ign in the f class any more.

Kevin
Thank you for that information Kevin! I was looking in the rule book and could not find a reference. Is the rule book updated somewhere?

Along the same lines, what about glow ignition with gasoline? Is there a ruling on that? What class would that fit into? I see that it can not fit into the LSG class because LSG must be spark ignition.

Ok, I'm back...after a couple of hours of reseach!

I found in the Aug. 2, 2007 board meeting minutes, the proposal to "limit A thur F class to auto ignition only".

"The proposal failed which forces this proposal to be placed on a membership ballot in the September Rootertail"

I found the Ballot in the Sept. Roostertail.

The last part of the ballot read as follows with the highlighted proposed change.

This was voted on by the membership in Sept/Oct 2007.

Internal Combustion Engine Classes

Class Cubic Inch Displacement Metric Class

A 0.000 thru 0.129 2.1 CC

B 0.130 thru 0.219 3.5 CC

C 0.220 thru 0.300 4.9 CC

D 0.301 thru 0.458 7.5 CC

E 0.459 thru 0.670 11.0 CC

F 0.671 thru 1.830 30.0 CC

Formulas: CC X .061 = CID, CID divided by .061 = CC

Note: These classes will be Auto Ignition (Glow Plug / Diesel) and Alternate Fuels (Methanol / Nitro Methane)

For Large Scale Gasoline engine classes see section “I”, Large Scale Gasoline.

I looked forward to the Dec 2007 Roostertail for the announcement of the new rule change. I did not find it.

Furthermore the current IMPBA rule book does NOT contain the wording as highlighted above and voted on by the membership.

Have I missed something? If so, please lead me to the correct current rules.

Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure that I ran a 47' gas seaducer at one of the Evansville Internats in F class. That rule was changed at the end that same year I think.

About 14 or 15 years ago a guy named Gerno Brauning who ran with the D.C. club redid a big Mathe gas engine to run on nitro. The thing was a beast when it ran but was very inconsistent.........

Need parts, bigger, stronger and a lot of them. Not to mention a fancy programmable ignition system and a tunable fuel delivery system. $10k should get us started. .let's do it..
default_smile.png

OK............Thanks for going there Andy!!! So................. if You are carrying a on-board power source to keep your glow plug LIT........it is NOT legal.

I think a spark ignition in a standard glow plug eng would make a lot of sense. some are testing as we speak.

As I said David......................SEEN. So if this is the case..............I will be adding this for 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back