IMPBA 1/8th Scale Question.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Hagan JR

In IMPBA if the center section was offset on the real boat does it have to on the Scale boat. Not the driveline.

I think these are the rules that would apply:
D. Engine and Boat Specifications
1. All models must be of a real unlimited hydroplane as listed in the APBA Master Hull Roster list. The model owner must show the real boat attempted to qualify, qualified or raced in an actual sanctioned racing event, in the configuration being modeled, via photographic and/or written documentation. Failure to adequately meet the validation requirements can result in the model not being allowed to compete in an IMPBA event until proper documentation is obtained.
3. Boats will look as scale as possible and meet the following requirements for racing and scale judging

I didn't include the listed parts that must be included as I figure they are available to all. What I found to be important would be that a photo of the boat in a specific configuration being required COULD be interpreted to mean that unless you have a picture of the boat that shows the cockpit and engine located on the centerline, it would need to be offset to match the photos, be it to the left as it full sized or mirrored to the right. I'll leave that call to IMPBA officials. Then again, I've had the same argument over the 1973 Pay'N Pak. While there is a picture of the boat partially sunk at a race(had a prop fail, ripped up the bottom of the boat) with the engine cover installed and I had Jim Lucero verify that the boat ran at two races with the cover installed, I was told by some that running the boat with the cover was illegal so...........................

Sam,

Some model boats are offset like the real ones. My Miss Madison is offset the OPPOSITE direction of the real one. (since we turn opposite way):).
Some models are in the center while real boats offset.
It is a builders preference as long as overall it is a good representation of the real boat and within the rules. Nothing is "perfect"
Drive dog location needs to follow that of the real boat.

Overall hull dimensions +/- 10% width and +/- 5% Overall Length is one I keep an eye out for on the annual scale registration form I have for D4. Small boats go fast - and it is a simple way to lighten the boat if no one is checking.

Spend a little time in rule book Section H. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Will you have a 1/8th Scale racing in D4 in 2022? Keep an eye out for the new 2022 Registration Form.

I look forward to racing with you this season.

Duke

Sam,

Some model boats are offset like the real ones. My Miss Madison is offset the OPPOSITE direction of the real one. (since we turn opposite way):).
Some models are in the center while real boats offset.
It is a builders preference as long as overall it is a good representation of the real boat and within the rules. Nothing is "perfect"
Drive dog location needs to follow that of the real boat.

Overall hull dimensions +/- 10% width and +/- 5% Overall Length is one I keep an eye out for on the annual scale registration form I have for D4. Small boats go fast - and it is a simple way to lighten the boat if no one is checking.

Spend a little time in rule book Section H. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Will you have a 1/8th Scale racing in D4 in 2022? Keep an eye out for the new 2022 Registration Form.

I look forward to racing with you this season.

Duke

Thanks Duke. It won’t be ready for 2022 and it will be FE, so it’ll be a club only boat for the time being. I’ve talked to a couple people and my district Director and got the info I needed.
See you at a race this year hopefully.

Back