I want to race

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob

I have a K&B watercooled 7.5 outboard with just break in time and a JR XR2I am radio.I want to race 7.5 tunnels.I am looking at the HTB 7.5 tunnel.The motor is bone stock.would the rig be competitive or does it need mods done to it?Also i am in district 2.Is this class running in Michigan?Any info is appreciated,I also want to get my two boys into the sport also_One is 12 and the other one is eight.Is their a class that they can run and if so what rig would you consider?Thanks guys,I want to get my family involved in this great sport.I want to stick with outboards.Thanks a bunch.

Hi Bob, welcome aboard.

The HTB is a great choice of boats for your engine. If you intend on keeping the engine stock, you may consider the HTB 340, as it is a little better suited to sport engines. If you are going to eventually modify the engine with a tuned pipe, the 360 may be the better choice.

That motor stock, with the HTB, and a lot of set-up time and practice will be competitive. It might not be the fastest boat, but consistency and finishing is the key in heat racing.

Your sons sound like the right age to start running .21 tunnels to me! I would recommend a couple stock OS engines, and a good hull such as the HTB 290 and you can run those boats in either the sport tunnel class (no tuned pipes, and a few other rules), or the regular "B Tunnel" class. The stock OS engine requires very little to run competitively anywhere, and they are very reliable and easy to tune. There are also cheaper options to getting started with tunnels such as the top speed 2, and the new tunnel boat being produced by Thunder Tiger is another option.

Im honestly not sure of the racing scene around the District 2 area, but im sure some guys around there will chime in. Have you contacted the District 2 director yet? Here is a link that has a lot of club info listed and also some more info that should help you in your new quest.

http://www.impba.net/district.php?dist=2

I am the IMPBA National Outboard Director, and im here to answer any questions you may have regarding outboards, and racing in IMPBA. Let me know if I can help!

Maybe we will see you guys at the World Outboard Tunnel Championships next year in Charleston, South Carolina? :)

Tunnels rule!

James Clegg

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob,

Outboards are a great way to start and if you stick with them and learn the set up tricks you can do very well. You will find plenty of help on here no matter which class decide to race. I started out with water cooled stock 7.5 outboards and they are very reliable. A few minor internal mods will improve their performance without sacrificing reliability.

One tip for outboards....Don't try to run too big of a prop, especially on a stocker. They like to turn up.

Mark

Bob,
Outboards are a great way to start and if you stick with them and learn the set up tricks you can do very well. You will find plenty of help on here no matter which class decide to race. I started out with water cooled stock 7.5 outboards and they are very reliable. A few minor internal mods will improve their performance without sacrificing reliability.

One tip for outboards....Don't try to run too big of a prop, especially on a stocker. They like to turn up.

Mark
Thanks for the info guys.My engine is currently on a spitfire 2 outrigger but the class is dead so i want to race and i love tunnels.I used to race the kneel down boats for around 14 years and quit racing back in the mid 90s.This is a very affordable and safe way to get back into boat racing.I run 40% blue thunder in my engine.What type of fuel and glow plugs do you recommend?Also,What kind of speeds should the stock 7.5 tunnel run in the straights?Thanks again guys.

At one time I would have advised to start out in 21 tunnels but today 21's are expensive to keep up and be competative. Stock or sport a better choice but the competition is tougher in the 21 classes. That said the 45 has also great competition and the motors are a bit easier to run. Bigger tunels will go through rougher water which can be frustrating with light 21's. 21 speeds are close to 45's and in some cases faster. In the 50-60 mph range the 45 will handle water better. Above 50 with a 21 your general ly on the ragged edge.

As for hulls go to races and see what wins and finishes. Everyone has an different opinion here. Set up is the key. Comming from full size you will find some properties the same and others totally oposite so keep an open mind. I started in OPC EP,JP,and Mod VP so you will be pleased with costs. I refuse to use the word "real" race boats as model racing is real and more competative. Less trips to the hospital also.

Good luck and welcome to the sort.

You've been told the good stuff already, here's some other. Each year we hold a K-Zoo Fun Run end of May, early June. Don't know what part of Michigan you are from, but it does pull in lots of boaters from around surrounding states. Myself, I'm orignally from Grand Rapids area. Been running tunnels for some 20 years. This weekend, heading to Kenosha, Wi for a race. Check out the flyer at Larry Forman Memorial weekend race. If possible, come on down to see what the action is about. There will be at least three gas tunnels there.

If you are into tunnels, have to plan for the 2008 WORLD OUTBOARD CHAMPIONSHIPS.. This years was a blast, next year has to top it...

Hey Bob,

If you don't mind me asking, where in Michigan do you live?

I'm on the west coast, actually Fennville, a little south of Holland. I race Tunnels also and just got back from the Kenoska race. Great time and the people are outstanding. One thing about this hobby, everyone wants to help out. A very friendly atmosphere and a lot of fun.

As Mark stated, the Kalamazoo fun run is there for all to enjoy. Its a little get together to run boats for fun. Although it's not really a race, it's an opportunity for your son to run with other people without the pressure of actual competition. I'll be there also.

As far as the Lap cat 2, there are quite a few boats out there that will work better than the old Prather Lap Cats. But I guess it all depends on how much interest there is to race,what level of competition you'd like to participate in,or your son and what your budget is. The one thing that's for sure is, fun can be had on all levels no matter what make the package is. As you know, the setup is very important with prop selection.

For 7.5 boats, I presently have an HTB, Woodstuff. Leecraft and a Prather Lap Cat 2.I can honestly say, I'll never run the Lap Cat again, Your 1st choice for a 7.5 boat of an HTB is a much better choice. For a stock 7.5,as James said, the 340 would be the one to run. Also, a leecraft, and Shaman (very hard to find) could also be good pics. If you would like a wood Tunnel, Mike Crawford, Woodstuff Boats builds a really nice and competitive boat. All jig built, and the quality is second to none. Mike has built a couple of boats for me recently including a 48" gas outboard tunnel.

Here's a few pics in my gallery of my Woodstuffs.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=777&pos=5

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=816&pos=7

If I can help in any way, please look me up.

And WELCOME!

Thanks for all the advice,I appreciate it.I live in Alpena and i would like to check out a race and see how everything is done.I am going to go with the HTB for myself and my kids.I think the rc racing will be a blast i like it because it sounds like a family sport.I think i will go with the o.s outboards for my kids.Thanks again and i will probably be asking everyone a lot of questions.

Bob,

Ask all the questions you want.

On this Forum are the best O/B racers and Manufacturers in the world.

All are here to share there knowledge and help any way they can.

All of us would like to see this hobby grow.

The OS outboards are a great little motor and really easy to tune.Good choice.

For a .21 boat with the OS, if you can find one,a Villain (wood kit no longer available,but around)would be my 1st choice.They pop up built and in kit form from time to time.I run that combo also. HTBs are also a great choice and available..But, there are a lot of good-great 21 boats out there.I surely don't want to degrade any of them.Set up means so... much.

You can always double check on here.

Welcome and Enjoy!

I raced c-hydro,20ss hydro and A runabout.I can tell by your user name that you raced also.

i would be careful running 'car' fuel in your motor. most car fuels are 7 to 11% oil. some all synthetic. the only info i could find on blue thunder was 'hp8'-8% oil. sport and race blend didn't list oil %, on their website. k&b recommends 18 to 20% oil, at least 1/2 castor for your motor. if you can't find 'boat' fuel, you can add oil to other fuels, as long as you know what oil % they are. buy castor in qts., and blend away. forget o'donnell's, they WILL NOT give out oil %'s. go to mecoa.com and get/download the owner's manual for your motor. BTW, i grew up in miami, fl. around boat racing in the 50's annd 60's. pre apba, was opc back then. used to love watching the kneel down alky ob hydros. on the edge was putting it mildly. mccalls, raveneau's(sp.?). powercats, switzercraft...... good memories. welcome to the rc side of boats.

Castor oil is old school.

Totally not necessary any more.The K&B info is quite dated.

Todays synthetics have come a LONG way.

There are quite a few good boat fuel manufacturers out there.

Red Max, Byron, Morgan, etc. will work just fine. Most have about 18% synthetic oil in them.

But, as been said before,no car fuel. Just not enough oil in it.The 40% blue thunder has only 12% oil content.

You can add a little castor to it and that will work,but when buying new fuel,I'd suggest boat fuel because there are other additives to it also.

Phil's Hobby shop in Ft Wayne In. carries Red Max or you can get larger quantities direct.

Oh,and we usually burn 45-60% for racing. 70% in special .21 applications.

My last name is Van Dusen.I mostly raced in Michigan and canada.94 was the last year i raced.What is your dads name?Also does any of the tunnel builders sell a ready to race rig?You guys got me nervous about the fuel i have been running.I have been using it for sport running for about 5 years with no problems but when im just out playing i run them on the rich side.My dad has a dumas sprint with a modded 3.5 rossi.Mabey i will get it from him and hit a race this year until i can get something together.Do you think i should take the engine and radio gear out of my rigger and put it in a new hull or should i leave it together and get a new engine?I do like to run my ob rigger at the river but i could save some money for props by using the engine and gear i have know.Does k&b still make a 7.5?Thanks guys.

If anyone here doesnt know who Leigh Furnal is he is the builder of one of the best kneel down hydroplanes around.He also built some bad ass 45ss tunnel hulls.Good to here from you guys.Do you race rc now?

Castor oil is old school.Totally not necessary any more.The K&B info is quite dated.

Todays synthetics have come a LONG way.

There are quite a few good boat fuel manufacturers out there.

Red Max, Byron, Morgan, etc. will work just fine. Most have about 18% synthetic oil in them.

But, as been said before,no car fuel. Just not enough oil in it.The 40% blue thunder has only 12% oil content.

You can add a little castor to it and that will work,but when buying new fuel,I'd suggest boat fuel because there are other additives to it also.

Phil's Hobby shop in Ft Wayne In. carries Red Max or you can get larger quantities direct.

Oh,and we usually burn 45-60% for racing. 70% in special .21 applications.
i agree with castor and info being old school. but, when the closest lhs is 25 miles away, and all they do is cars, what else is there? the closest 'real' lhs is about 70 miles, and they don't stock/won't order boat fuel. all they sell is rtr boats, they don't require the higher oil content. you do what you can with what you have. i've tried twc-3 full size ob oil, blew up motors. tried bel-ray and klotz from motorcycle shop-ate glow plugs in about 1/2 tank. cold or hot, rich or lean-no luck. beleive me, i've tried. i use what i'm left with. at least it matches the outdated info :p . i just fun run now, so a case is kinda overkill for me, plus a lot of $, i work for a living, and this is just for fun. i'm sure i could arrange to p/u a gallon at a race, but the closest races are about 100 miles away, with gas and travel, that's an expensive gallon of fuel.

If anyone here doesnt know who Leigh Furnal is he is the builder of one of the best kneel down hydroplanes around.He also built some bad ass 45ss tunnel hulls.Good to here from you guys.Do you race rc now?
I am looking to get into it. I am trying to figure out the designs and all and I might build my own.. FurnalFlyer Gen 2

Back