I screwed up! How Do I Fix It?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been cleaning and oiling my motors for 5 or 6 years with a method that is a little different. But I have made the bearing last for the whole time and I never have rusted bolts, this is what I do:

I got 2 one gallon paint cans from the hardware store that were empty and new.

I filled 3/4 full one with white gas and a little ATF(Colman stove fuel/kerosene) the other with Automatic transmission fluid.

after I am done for the day and I have came back to the shop I pull all the motors ran and take out the glow pugs. then one at a time I submerge the motor in the kerosene and turn it over for a short period, then drain the motor.

Next I submurge the motor in the ATF turn it over and leave it for at least 24 hours some times a week. I stack several motors on top of each other. Then pull them out of the ATF one at a time and Rotate the crank shaft and drain the motor. then I wrap in paper towel and put in a plastic bag. The next time I use the motors they start right up and run great.

This process keeps my motors like new. I never have rusted bolts. I never have bearings go out. this works great. Try it you will like the result.

I pickle my motors after each race by first flushing them with ATF & WD40 including the water jacket. I turn them over by hand to drain the oil then spray them CorrosionX HD or T-9. I then wrap them in a paper towel and vacum bag them with my wife's FoodSaver. This gets the air out of the motor and helps prevent any rusting.

Each time I take the motor apart, I place them in a sonic cleaner using 10% Scrub Free and 90% water. This gets all of the threads clean and removes the stains from the case. Any steel parts must be oiled as soon as you take them out because the Scrub Free strips all of the oil from everything. Before I assemble the motor, I spray everything with CorrosionX HD.... Do not spray it into the water pick up because it will clog the water line and cause the motor to overheat the next time you run it. Guess how I figured that out!

Now we are on food savers, and storing engines.

THere all very good tips.

I took a few apart cause its winter and all, I guess i need to start spraying WD40 into the cooling heads.

Now there was thread awhile back about storing and when done running for the day, something i now do.

Tony J said he does it and works well for me.

Use a old fuel tank with "your style" after run oil in it, and just connect and run engine with starter. it coats the whole engine.

Tom

Back