hvlp gun & aircompressors ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow! those bigger compressors are expensive. i wonder if there is another spray gun & compressor combo thats not to expensive?.....thanks... :(

wow! those bigger compressors are expensive. i wonder if there is another spray gun & compressor combo thats not to expensive?.....thanks... :(
Watch Lowe's or Home Depot for sales, especially with the Labor Day weekend right around the corner.... ;)

Watch Lowe's or Home Depot for sales, especially with the Labor Day weekend right around the corner.... ;)
Jinx,

For a boat you could use a standard touch up gun and a small compressor. It uses more paint and has more overspray. Make sure you wear a respirator.............

I have a 60 gallon 17cfm compressor so it is easy for me to say. I also use this for other work which justifys the expense. If you were nearby, I would shoot it for you.

Bill

Check your local want ads also. I bought my Craftsman 20 gallon 2 stage 220 volt compressor used for $150 ..... 9 years ago & it still rockin'. It was in real nice shape, the guy took good care of it but was moving into a new house with a bigger shop & wanted to uprade to a big stand up unit. This one was just what I wanted, low profile with wheels & handle to roll it around, fit right under one of my work benches. Until I wired up my shop back then I had made an extension cord with one end that would plug into my clothes dryer outlet & the other matched to compressors plug (just remember to plug the dryer back in before the wife goes to do laundry :p ). Handles all my HVLP painting needs as well as running air tools. One recommendation though is to shy away from oil-less compressors, they just don't seem to hold up as well. I don't know if they've gotten better lately but I've seen people have issues with them. As long as the compressor oil gets changed fairly regularly & the tank gets drained for moisture there is nothing wrong with a well kept used unit & you'll save big $$. :)

If you look closely in the lower left of this pic you can see the compressor under the workbench-

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=77&pos=25

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking at the HVLP offerings out there also. The prices will scare you if you want a top notch system. They all come with the turbine and the gun. Cambell Hausfeld and Wagner have some cheapo systems for around $100. Not sure about the quality or the durability. Typically plastic guns with nylon paint cups. Available at Home Depot. Maybe someone has tried one and can give some feedback on their experience. Otherwise it's $600 to $700 for a small system like a Fuji or Apex etc. For now I'll continue with my Binks Air Brush.

Check out what is called an HVLP Conversion Spray Gun. From what I have read, it uses a standard air compressor but offers the reduced overspray and less product usage of the standard HVLP. Kind of a middle of the road compromise. The Wagner conversion gun is well rated by those in the know.

I do fine with a 13 gallon Campbell Hausfeld generator from Walmart for ~$200 and a $30 CH touchup gun (9 oz cup) from Lowes. I had a Harbor freight version of this gun and it came with a plastic coating inside the cup. Well the paint thinner attacked it and it started flaking off and got all over the boat. :( Get the CH model and you should be fine.

Do get a resporator rated for spray paints and work in a well ventallated area. It makes a lot of overspray.

Be sure to protect any nearby cars as well.

i noticed that they also have a mini hvlp gun that doesn't require as much CFM as do the regular hvlp guns. some of the mini hvlp only require about 2.8 to 3.0 cfm....thanks..

Back