Huntsville Time Trials

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VansRacing

I just got off the phone with Eric Betty. He said that the weather is beautiful in Huntsville with only a slight breeze blowing across the pond. He and Allan are working on the Sport Outboard Tunnel 3.5cc SAW record. Their fast pass of the day so far was 3.754.....004 secounds away from Erics goal of a 60mph Sport O/B tunnel pass.

David Hall is bringing the little 12 geared O/B tunnel that he and Rod have been working with to make some SAW passes. I hope the wind doesn't blow all day tomorrow so that he can get some runs in with that boat.

Good Luck guys!

Our group will be there tomorrow morning around 7:00am. We will have three Mod 3.5cc Tunnels that are all set up with different pipes.

Talley is testing the Cooper O/B pipe on the VZ-M w/the "R" P/S water cooled engine

Rushing is testing a Irwin stamped pipe (horse shoe type) on a VZ-R air cooled engine

I am testing a couple of Carbon S.P.P. (Salisbury) pipes on a VZ-R air cooled engine

It should be fun.

-Carl,

Eric just called. He made his 60 mph pass this afternoon in Huntsville with his sport 3.5cc O/B tunnel boat. He and Alan were going back home tonight but he said that he wants to stay and get his 60 mph Sport tunnel patch before he goes home tomorrow.

Eric has been hitting right at 60 for the last two or three time trials but just couldn't get to 60 thru the beams at that speed.

Eric's fast pass for the day was 3.739 seconds.

GREAT JOB ERIC BETTY!

Last edited by a moderator:
Carl,

What hull does Eric Run? I sure wish I had One. :D

Looking forward to the 60's myself with a tunnel boat very soon. :D

Thanks For The Information,

Mark Sholund

LOL...he runs a heat racing boat of some kind.

You know how it works...This is my last event for awhile. I have got to get home and get some serious work out next week.

That boy was so excited that he probably won't get any sleep tonight. The pass qualifies him for the patch but he hasn't backed it up yet. He will be trying to get that done tomorrow in hopes of bumping the 2 way average to 60+.

Hell I may not get any sleep!

-Carl,

Eric & Carl,

I'm excited about that record also,I may not sleep either, we our running our boats tomorrow

for the first time in 2006. :D Can't wait to fire up the O.S. again. :D

What a Awesome Acomplishment with a stock motor and a stock boat.

My Hats Off To Both Of You,

Mark Sholund

60 mph with a stock 21 o/b tunnel, gotta love it. I'm glad for Eric that he hit his mark 'cause he got soooo close @ Valdosta back in December. B)

Joke? I think the joke is that 95% of MODIFIED PIPED 3.5cc O/B tunnels are not running 60mph. That is the joke.

Take the pipe off your modified 3.5cc tunnel and bring your boat to the time trials...then we will see a joke.

You will be lucky if you hit 50mph even with all your whack'n and hack'n work you want to do to it.

The Sport engine forces you to refine your total setup in order to get results like that.

Any other news?
Terry,David Hall spent half the day Friday in the emergency room in Huntsville.

Seems he got a finger into a prop while cleaning out the motor after a run......Dam......thats gotta hurt.

He said the 24volt starter never even hiccuped chewing up the finger.

I talked to him last night and he said he was on his way out to find a stick to bite on and then he was going to try to go back up to Huntsville again today.

Rod

i just hope that 60 mph pass was done with a k&b their is still hope!!!!!!!!maybe next year i'll get a chance to go. i have a k&b built for speed just waiting to get the chance to try one day it sets in a box by its self.

allen

Any other news?
Terry,David Hall spent half the day Friday in the emergency room in Huntsville.

Seems he got a finger into a prop while cleaning out the motor after a run......Dam......thats gotta hurt.

He said the 24volt starter never even hiccuped chewing up the finger.

I talked to him last night and he said he was on his way out to find a stick to bite on and then he was going to try to go back up to Huntsville again today.

Rod
Ouch, hope he's OK...

Take the pipe off your modified 3.5cc tunnel and bring it to the time trials...then we will see a joke.

You will be lucky if you hit 50mph even with all your whack'n and hack'n work you want to do to it.
Leave the pipe on for that matter and try and reach 60.

Impressive guys. Keep it up. Maybe we'll see a stock OS setting the mod SAW record :ph34r: .

~Mitch

David was here today he goes to a hand surgon next week. He was still running his little A tunnel and mono. Harry Gerhart and Doc Turner were battleing it out for the new Multi-engine Hydro class records Harry ended up with the Oval record and Doc got the SAW record. I got both the SAW and Oval records for the New Sport 21 Hydro Class. David got the A outboard tunnel record. All of thes eare provisional upon verification by the Records director Glen Quarles.

Bill Zuber

David was here today he goes to a hand surgon next week. He was still running his little A tunnel and mono. Harry Gerhart and Doc Turner were battleing it out for the new Multi-engine Hydro class records Harry ended up with the Oval record and Doc got the SAW record. I got both the SAW and Oval records for the New Sport 21 Hydro Class. David got the A outboard tunnel record. All of thes eare provisional upon verification by the Records director Glen Quarles.

Bill Zuber
Thanks Bill, any idea of the times?

Bill Zuber
Thanks Bill, any idea of the times?
Terry,

These were from David on his way home.....and to the best of his recollection.Now don't hold me to my memory,but I think these numbers are right.

David set the "A" tunnel SAW record at 45+..........Doc Turner "twin hydro" SAW 82 mph

Harry Gerhart "twin hydro" 2 lap was at like a 56-57 MPH average.

The Sport .20 SAW was also in the mid-40's somewhere.I don't know what Zubers the 2 lap time was.

If anybody knows any different please correct me.

Rod

Those twin records wont stand for too long. :ph34r:

Larry

From my notes:

David Hall's 12 (geared) O/B tunnel

Low numbers were 5.004 & 4.985 (4.994 average)

Eric Betty's 3.5cc O/S powered Lynx Sport O/B Tunnel

Low numbers were 3.763 & 3.836 (3.799 average) This time pushed the new IMPBA Sport 3.5cc O/B SAW record up to: 59.226 mph

Erics fastest recorded single pass Saturday was 3.739 seconds. 60.1 mph

OUr group got there Sunday morning, just in time to watch the wind blow all day...I guess that is part of the game.

-Carl,

Latest posts

Back