Huntsville Records Trial November 11-13, 2005

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys,

Eric Betty owns the new Sport 3.5cc Tunnel record (AGAIN)...

We elected not to run our special SAW boat as it would not handel the wind conditions but with our sport heat racing 3.5cc tunnel running 53-54...we though we at least were close enough to squeek it past the current record... but this proved to be a pipe dream. I'll have to hand it to Eric and Ole Allen, that showed up with some new found speed.

Eric's fast pass of the weekend was 58.45 MPH Yep...we didn't have anything for that. We puked a perfectly good engine trying though!

They walked out of the competition with the new Sport Tunnel 1/16 mile SAW record set at 57.361 MPH

3.980 & 3.865 sec.

GREAT RUN GUYS! You handed us our a$$ twice now... We are not going to give up!

David Hall broke a record with a little wooden mono that Tommy Lee had built some time ago. David had put a little scream'n 12 engine in it and was turning about a zillion RPM. I think he and Rod G. had a hand it the total effort. That little boat was FLYING!

Lots of fun!
Hi Carl,

what engine/setup did Eric run?

Mark

58 mph from a sport tunnel??????????????

Geeeeezzzz!

Ok Eric, I know your a member on here, lets here about some details of the equipment.... :D

That is STUPID fast for a sport B tunnel....

Congrats to Eric,

~James

Don,

Does he run O/B tunnels?
Brian had a rather cool looking carbon gas rigger & I believe has also was bringing his Whiplash gas sport hydro.
The rigger couldn't get pas 92mph all weekend. It's back to the drawing board to get more lift in the hull. The boat is now destroyed after hitting the bank, then a tree.

Whiplash Gas Sport Hydro was posting awesome numbers all weekend, but couldn't back it up due to some wind and stupid driving. We were consistanly in the 85-89mph range on the front chute, but couldn't back it up on the back stretch. The boat was unbelievable. I hit a buoy at 80 mph and ripped the sponson off. We will be back next year even stronger with the stuff we learned.

We did break the Gas Sport Hydro oval record with the whiplash, beating the old record by more than one second. We used an M&D motor with a STOCK ABC 2716 prop.

We had a great time. Thanks to everyone!

Brian Blazer

Blazer Marine

David Hall also upped the "A" mono record for the last run of the weekend with his Gerhaty pieced to gether engine parts from about 3 or 4 manufactures that Rod put together for David and of course his hull by Tommy Lee and prop worked also by Tommy. John Equi has the numbers and I will post the records applied for later.

Guys,

Eric Betty owns the new Sport 3.5cc Tunnel record (AGAIN)...

We elected not to run our special SAW boat as it would not handel the wind conditions but with our sport heat racing 3.5cc tunnel running 53-54...we thought we at least were close enough to squeek past the current record... but this proved to be a pipe dream. I'll have to hand it to Eric and Ole Allen, that showed up with some new found speed.

Eric's fast pass of the weekend was 58.45 MPH Yep...we didn't have anything for that. We puked a perfectly good engine trying though!

They walked out of the competition with the new Sport Tunnel 1/16 mile SAW record set at 57.361 MPH (according to my figures)

3.980 & 3.865 sec.

GREAT RUN GUYS! You handed us our a$$ twice now... We are not going to give up!

David Hall broke a record with a little wooden mono that Tommy Lee had built some time ago. David had put a little scream'n 12 engine in it and was turning about a zillion RPM. I think he and Rod G. had a hand it the total effort. That little boat was FLYING!

Lots of fun!
Hi Carl,

what engine/setup did Eric run?

Mark
They were running the O/S engine on the Lynx and what looked to be a 1440 prop. Seeing a sport engine run like that was impressive. I looked at their engine fairly good. I know an O/S as good as anybody and it looked like any other O/S engine to me. It had to pass the carb / exhaust, bore & stroke inspection.

Betty had perfect water and air conditions. His boat was hung out on the edge with a perfect setup. They did a great job of bringing it all together.

Good luck getting any info out of those guys, I think their plans are to keep us on the hot seat as long as they can. We still have the Valdosta week of speed coming up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

Does he run O/B tunnels?
Brian had a rather cool looking carbon gas rigger & I believe has also was bringing his Whiplash gas sport hydro.
The rigger couldn't get pas 92mph all weekend. It's back to the drawing board to get more lift in the hull. The boat is now destroyed after hitting the bank, then a tree.

Whiplash Gas Sport Hydro was posting awesome numbers all weekend, but couldn't back it up due to some wind and stupid driving. We were consistanly in the 85-89mph range on the front chute, but couldn't back it up on the back stretch. The boat was unbelievable. I hit a buoy at 80 mph and ripped the sponson off. We will be back next year even stronger with the stuff we learned.

We did break the Gas Sport Hydro oval record with the whiplash, beating the old record by more than one second. We used an M&D motor with a STOCK ABC 2716 prop.

We had a great time. Thanks to everyone!

Brian Blazer

Blazer Marine
Bummer, what happened, did you loose the radio? Good thing is you have the molds. :)

Maybe some bigger front shoes?

Here is a quick run down on the results. A long with a picture of David's A mono hull check the pipe out he pieced it together after it broke from one of the many flips the boat took then late Sunday afternoon the water finally laid down and David set the record with the pipe you see.

Huntsville November Time Trials, 2005

8 records submitted:

XLS27 Hydro SAW Brad Foster, 2.352 sec ave, 95.66 MPH

CMDI Hull, custom engine built by Brian Roodvoets

Super Sport Stock Gas SAW Dom Mauro, 4.331 sec ave, 51.951 MPH

AC Razor hull, Zenoah 260 engine

Super Sport Stock Gas Oval Michael Camus, 29.631 sec, 40.498 MPH

AC Hull, Zenoah 260 engine

LS27 Sport Hydro Oval Brian Blazer, 22.042 sec, 54.441 MPH

Blazer Marine Whiplash hull, M&D Zenoah 260

SLS Mono SAW Nelson King, 4.871 sec ave, 46.191 MPH

King scratch built hull, Homelite engine

Crackerbox Oval Nelson King, 34.441 sec, 34.842 MPH

King scratch built hull, Zenoah 260 engine

B Sport Tunnel SAW Eric Betty, 3.922 sec ave, 57.368 MPH

Vans Racing Hull, OS engine

A Mono SAW David Hall, 4.518 sec ave, 49.800 MPH

Tommy Lee hull, custom engine built by Rod Geraghty

Guys,

[Eric Betty owns the new Sport 3.5cc Tunnel record (AGAIN)...

Eric's fast pass of the weekend was 58.45 MPH Yep...we didn't have anything for that. We puked a perfectly good engine trying though! GREAT RUN GUYS! You handed us our a$$ twice now... We are not going to give up!]

Eric,If I owned that boat I would pull a duplicator off the prop,douche the motor with something very good,pull the battery,install a new flexshaft and put it on the shelf and don't touch that SOB until Internats 2006.

Then I would go buy another boat and motor and see if I could duplicate your veru successful effort.

I would be willing to bet a dollar to a dog turd and hold the stakes in my teeth that you won't get within 3 MPH of that boat.I think you have something very special there.Take care of it!!!!Rod Geraghty

[David Hall broke a record with a little wooden mono that Tommy Lee had built some time ago. David had put a little scream'n 12 engine in it and was turning about a zillion RPM. I think he and Rod G. had a hand it the total effort. That little boat was FLYING!]

Carl,You were there and you know David chased the weather all weekend.He had one pass at 53+ and there was a ton left in the setup.David wasn't even close to being out of motor,prop or boat.I think the combo has high 50's written all over it if we can only find a good day at Huntsville to run.

This was the last boat Tommy built before his health no longer allowed him to build so it was particular sweet to get it to run like that.

We have 4 motors that need testing so David is going open water hunting.

We shall return........... ;) Rod Geraghty

Thanks Guys!!!!

It was definitely a team effort. Allen Waddle, my brother Jeff Betty, and of course Carl for building such a good boat. I am new to the hobby and without everyones help (alot people that I have not mentioned) this would not have been possible. Thanks everyone!!

Eric Betty

After thinking about Eric's fast passes on the way home, we realized that Eric's passes were not exactly straight thru the beams so...with that in mind, he actually had to be running more like 59 or just under 60 MPH.

David Hall's 12 mono did have engine to spare. That little boat was a blast. It was so small that David and I took a piece of thin hard styrofoam (like a dinner plate) and cut out a 3"x3" flag and tapped it to the antenna to ensure that we tripped the beams because he made one pass that was a blaze but it didn't trip the far end beam. It never missed another light after that.

Rod, you and david can build me an outboard 12 like that anytime you feel like it!

Congrats to all the record breakers!

-Carl,

David Hall's 12 mono did have engine to spare.

Rod, you and david can build me an outboard 12 like that anytime you feel like it!

-Carl,

Here is something for all the keyboard racers to start working on. :D

Carl,Do you remember when we talked on the phone about a week ago,I mentioned to you that I wasn't sure that the conventional so called "tuned" pipes we were using[car or boat] were the best way to go.

About a month and a half ago I had a long talk with Steve Odonnell about car pipes.I hadn't talked to Steve for a long time and there is dam few people on this earth that have done more testing with car pipes than Steve and his dad.After the $2.00 lesson on car pipes,Steve told me that Dub Jett and Henry Nelson are persuing the same approach and are getting unbelievable rpm and torque out of canister type mufflers on their pylon motors.

The conventional pipe approach we all use,whether it is true or not, appears to be putting a hard stop limit to the top end RPM.With standard pipes,when we use small props,we never run out of prop,we just run out of rpm.

Remember,you and I were talking about the O.S. muffler and I said that for whatever reason,I thought that the little O.S. muffler with .200" outlets was playing a "big" part in delivering 58+MPH runs for Eric Betty.The exhaust timing is low in the stock O.S. outboard and yet the motor is just effortlessly screaming its guts out pulling a 1440.I didn't know why,but that is the only variable on the motor the is different.Everything else like bore,stroke,rod length,etc.etc is business like usual.How is it doing that?I think I know why it is doing that!We will see.

That little .12 boat David ran last weekend didn't have 10 minutes of test time on it when David took it to Huntsville this weekend.We were lacking everything else but we sure were not lacking power or rpm.

On friday or saturday[i don't remember which]David said the motor found another stage he had never heard before in a motor running in a boat on the water.He recognized it because we have heard it alot when running the little billet motors we made on the test stand.The little billet motors run 45,000+.

We have stumbled on to something here but we don't quite know what it is yet but we know how to duplicate it.We took 1/2 that setup off the boat & motor because when the motor staged the prop ran right out from under the boat.This wasn't a light switch type of stage like a big carb and short pipe, is was more of a hard stage that had no sign off at the top.You heard it,you tell me.Did that motor sound like the proto typical .12??? I wasn't there to hear it but the way David described it to me I am sure the motor made heads turn when it ran.

It appears that header and pipe volume vs. combustion temperature,at least on these .12's we are running,is a hell of a lot more important than pipe shape or length.There is a sweet spot there and it appears to be pretty wide.We found one side of the line on Sunday and with a little testing we will find the other side,I think pretty easily.

Later,Rod

Holy CRAP... that is FLYING.

CONGRATS

Grim
98% of the 3.5 "Mod" tunnel racers would give their left one to have their mod boat run like that. :)
I had radar on all of the 30 or so mod tunnels at the internats, and there was only 2 that actually hit 58 MPH. I would love to have a mod tunnel running in the low 50's consistantly, and it would be icing on the cake if it went into the upper 50's. Eric, being that you say you are new to the game, I REALLY hope you understand how HUGE this is for you. Im not sure how you got a Sport O.S. on a stock heat racing boat to run 58+ mph, But you bet your bottom dollar that EVERONE will be gunning for your record. PLEASE do as Rod G. suggests, put that combo AWAY! And a BIG CONGRATULATIONS from this tunnel freak.

~James

David Hall's 12 mono did have engine to spare.

-Carl,
Here is something for all the keyboard racers to start working on. :D

Carl,Do you remember when we talked on the phone about a week ago,I mentioned to you that I wasn't sure that the conventional so called "tuned" pipes we were using[car or boat] were the best way to go.

About a month and a half ago I had a long talk with Steve Odonnell about car pipes.I hadn't talked to Steve for a long time and there is dam few people on this earth that have done more testing with car pipes than Steve and his dad.After the $2.00 lesson on car pipes,Steve told me that Dub Jett and Henry Nelson are persuing the same approach and are getting unbelievable rpm and torque out of canister type mufflers on their pylon motors.

The conventional pipe approach we all use,whether it is true or not, appears to be putting a hard stop limit to the top end RPM.With standard pipes,when we use small props,we never run out of prop,we just run out of rpm.

Remember,you and I were talking about the O.S. muffler and I said that for whatever reason,I thought that the little O.S. muffler with .200" outlets was playing a "big" part in delivering 58+MPH runs for Eric Betty.The exhaust timing is low in the stock O.S. outboard and yet the motor is just effortlessly screaming its guts out pulling a 1440.I didn't know why,but that is the only variable on the motor the is different.Everything else like bore,stroke,rod length,etc.etc is business like usual.How is it doing that?I think I know why it is doing that!We will see.

That little .12 boat David ran last weekend didn't have 10 minutes of test time on it when David took it to Huntsville this weekend.We were lacking everything else but we sure were not lacking power or rpm.

On friday or saturday[i don't remember which]David said the motor found another stage he had never heard before in a motor running in a boat on the water.He recognized it because we have heard it alot when running the little billet motors we made on the test stand.The little billet motors run 45,000+.

We have stumbled on to something here but we don't quite know what it is yet but we know how to duplicate it.We took 1/2 that setup off the boat & motor because when the motor staged the prop ran right out from under the boat.This wasn't a light switch type of stage like a big carb and short pipe, is was more of a hard stage that had no sign off at the top.You heard it,you tell me.Did that motor sound like the proto typical .12??? I wasn't there to hear it but the way David described it to me I am sure the motor made heads turn when it ran.

It appears that header and pipe volume vs. combustion temperature,at least on these .12's we are running,is a hell of a lot more important than pipe shape or length.There is a sweet spot there and it appears to be pretty wide.We found one side of the line on Sunday and with a little testing we will find the other side,I think pretty easily.

Later,Rod

Yes, Maybe the reverb signal is not as effective as we have always thought it to be. If not, the initial wave and increased back pressure may be carrying the majority of the effect.

-Carl,

I've found out way back when I was running nitro trucks that the little engines can really kick in once they get to the point where a tuned pipe is doing its job, kind of like cruising along in your car and stomping on the pedal using a Holley 4-barrel spread-bore carb.

Once you guys figure out what's going on, you'll have my full attention, like you don't already have it!

Some of the Aussies have been using the Jett cannisters and got great results from them in boats.

Latest posts

Back