Hummingbird 20

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunnelbill

I was at a race in VB this past weekend and I had the chance to check out the hummingbird 20 rigger. The craftsmanship ship on this boat is second to none, very strong and very lite. The speed of this boat is nothing but amazing, KP was heat racing at 76+MPH. If you are looking for a great rigger, you might want to check out the new Hummingbird rigger. I have mine on order and should get it in a few weeks. What did the rest of you guys at the race think about the boat? I will have to change my name :D , RB

Ive seen Jim come to our race in Charleston before with the hummingbird, and its an awesome looking boat, probably one that doesnt get as much attention as it deserves.

KP's boat was fast as hell. PERIOD.

~James

Rigger Bill....lol

Hey Bill

Thanks for the fuel valve...................just the ticket !!!! :D

What engine was in it Bill .....James.....???

Last edited by a moderator:
hbird2.JPG

That Hummingbird is by far the best constructed rigger I’ve ever seen. After seeing the speeds of that rigger against some extremely well set up boats I made my mind up. The vac-bagged carbon fiber tub is bad to the bone bro B)

I feel like a kid in a candy store every time I go out and work on it :)

Kev,

It might be a good idea to change the engine mount to an SG style mount. Awesome boat tho'.

Tim.

I have known Kentley very well for a number of years. I have raced him frequently and have rarely beat him that is only because of more DNF's that I had. I have never beaten him in speed and may never. It makes no difference which hull he runs because it is always the fastest. But it looks like this Hummingbird model is his fastest yet. The engine is a NovaRossi specially prepped by his builder Frank Orlic of Canada. And Kentley seems to have a special edition from Frank as well. I have a NR prepped by Frank and they are not the same nor run the same. Like being fed to the lion's when you race him.

If you are considering a new 20 rigger, look at the Hummingbird. It is similiar in general design to the Roadrunner but has special features. Jim Benn's builds them using a carbon fiber vacuum bagging process just to start with. Much more before he is finished. Every model is excellent.

ClayGlover Posted on Aug 30 2004, 08:12 PM   Is that the cowl that comes with it? 

Yep,

everything that came with that boat is top shelf construction

I dont have the cowl locks on it yet, but it's a perfect fit

TimD said:
Kev,It might be a good idea to change the engine mount to an SG style mount. Awesome boat tho'.

Tim.
The 20 Hummingbird is an awesome boat, Jim builds a first rate hull. I also strongly recommend ditching the stock mount rubbers & converting to the "SG" style of rubber grommets thru the tub then nylon spacers with nylon screws, use the same engine rails. About $10 worth of misc. pieces that is well worth the change. Beyond that it's a great boat! :D

John Knight said:
I have known Kentley very well for a number of years.  I have raced him frequently and have rarely beat him that is only because of more DNF's that I had.  I have never beaten him in speed and may never.  It makes no difference which hull he runs because it is always the fastest.  But it looks like this Hummingbird model is his fastest yet.  The engine is a NovaRossi specially prepped by his builder Frank Orlic of Canada.  And Kentley seems to have a special edition from Frank as well.  I have a NR prepped by Frank and they are not the same nor run the same.  Like being fed to the lion's when you race him.
If you are considering a new 20 rigger, look at the Hummingbird.  It is similiar in general design to the Roadrunner but has special features.  Jim Benn's builds them using a carbon fiber vacuum bagging process just to start with.  Much more before he is finished.  Every model is excellent.
John, I must clarify one thing, I have never modified an engine for you so I don't know which one is the one you have, however if you don't have same engine as Kentley that is because you don't have last year's or this year's engine. I do not do different work for different people, (sorry Kentley) that would be to confusing. You pay and I will make it go. Let me know what year is the engine and who was the original owner and I will probably know what was done to it.

Advanced Racing Tech

Frank Orlic

Don Ferrette said:
TimD said:
Kev,It might be a good idea to change the engine mount to an SG style mount. Awesome boat tho'.

Tim.
The 20 Hummingbird is an awesome boat, Jim builds a first rate hull. I also strongly recommend ditching the stock mount rubbers & converting to the "SG" style of rubber grommets thru the tub then nylon spacers with nylon screws, use the same engine rails. About $10 worth of misc. pieces that is well worth the change. Beyond that it's a great boat! :D
I ditched the mount all together and used rubber isolation mounts. They are the mounts off a Holden Camira (should be something similar on some US cars) air cleaner assembly and are about 10mm wide and about 20mm diameter. They have studs both ends so I made up some countersunk nuts to suit the hull. Beats the hell out of the SG mounts.

Hey is there a similar cowl for the bigger birds yet???

Have the 67 and the original cowl (about a year or so old) was a piece of garbage (only complaint with the boat)... Still havent made a new cowl but wondering what was being supplied with them now....

Kentley's 21 Hummingbird is a prime example of what can be gained from the knowledge of boat setup. It's fast and very consistant. The DNF's were caused by a broken header gasket at the race in case you wonder where his first lace trophy is.

Frank does the same work on all his motors. I have bought a couple engines from Kentley just as others have. Myself and others do see significant increases in performance but never the performance that you would see from one of Kentley's boats. Why? SETUP! Personally, I have one of Frank's/Kentley's NR's in my boat. It has been 99mph in a SAW boat and it heat races great! The same story for my Picco 45 that has been 115mph in a SAW boat.

The Hummingbird is fast. It may not be the fastest for all people but I do believe that the 21 is the best heat racer out there. Jim has continued to make improvements over the years and it shows. The price is right and so is the quality.

Where do you guys get them? Can't seem to find a website. What kind of price are we talking here?

The only place I know that you can get them is through Jim Benns at (757) 421-9164

They're not cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for.

I can personally attest to what Preston is saying. I have watched in awe of both of them for years and saw it again over the weekend. Kentley can get more out of a engine and setup than anyone I have ever met. I do not mean to offend Andy or John Brown but I see it time and again. Seeing how his boat was a plane compared to our boats, I asked him this simple question on Saturday afternoon:

"How do you get your boats going so fast, much more than others?" Hoping to hear a speed secret or two, I got back this response: "Keep working on it until you get it there!" Thinking upon that statement, it says volumes of the following:

1. If you settle for stock set up then you get stock speed.

2. If you do not experiment, then see # 1.

3. Setup is not just one thing but a combination of many things. Must put the work into to get the results. If not then refer to # 1.

He is an innovator and will not settle for average performance. It is the entire package which has many parts. Something for all of us to consider. Never did get a secret or two from him. Just handed my head every heat.

And give Preston his due as well. He has benefited from being close friends with Kentley and will not settle for being second rate. He also has exceptionally fast boats including the fastest 40 rigger I have ever seen. And he has the driving skills to match. Stu Barr and Preston are neck and neck and I see both of them and Kentley each year. What a treat! Almost good enough to pay fees to watch. Come to think of it I do, called entry fees!

Preston, I have one question for you and Kentley. What is the pipe you two were running on your riggers?

John

Preston, I have one question for you and Kentley. What is the pipe you two were running on your riggers?
Irwin Nitro "S"

S = short, the regular pipe with 1" removed from the center

BTW, they are out of production.

That is what I suspected when I looked at both of yours Friday. I remember seeing earlier this year that they are no longer being made. Oh well! May have look to my OPS pipes instead.

Thanks!

Back