How to get a tri-wing to run?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Red Machine

I haven't begun wrenching yet, but while I think about the set-up, are there any tips for setting up a tri-wing scale? CG location? Turn fin shape? Sponson riding surface mods?

The name of the builder, Texas?, eludes me right now. Got it off Ebay this spring.

View attachment 3072

I have the 94 Bud Tri-wing from Thunderboat Reproductions, Did the vetical & horizontal wings come with the hull? To start with you will need to stand the rudder off the left side of the transom approx 3 1/2" to 4" back and as far to the left as possible.. The strut of mine is centered in the hull as the tub is offset..approx 1/4". When setting up the depth of the strut I placed mine on a flat table and started with the bottom of the hull perfectly level and the strut angled down about 3 degrees. I can copy my turn fin and e-mail you the size and shape if you like. Send me your e-mail and I will send you a pic of my boat.

This hull was made be Dave Baker out of Amirillo Texas ..I owned one for about 4 years...Was a verry fast boat but you need to buile up the rear shoes or it'll blow over evey time.. The right sponson it also about 1/4 in smaller in hight ..I also had to build it up.. C/G was an inch behind sopnsons..Fuel cell were in the front wings .2 8oz oval tanks and a 2 oz hopper...

So Roy, how much did you add in thickness to the rear shoes?

I also was planning on pushing the tanks up into the sponsons and even belly-panning the engine as well.

Pete

Pete The last time I called his this was his number 806 352 3152 His add is 3317 Kingston Amarillo 79106.... I added about 1/4 in to the shoes and the same to the sponson...This keeked the boat from blowing over...I tried to add weight up front but it submerined every time it was lunched. this was the only thin that helped..It liked the 457/3 and a cuped 60/76... RTR it weight 14lb...

Back