'69 Pride of Pay 'N Pak ?s

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Strange

Well I am off to yet another project that may not get completed LOL. I previously set out to build a Gas scale Atlas Van Lines and after making tree piles of scrap wood I think that #3 shows some promise. But my thunder has been stolen since someone in the club wants to build the same boat. So that is shelved for now. I do have the 72-73 Notre Dame in the works...

I know that some here have built and raced the '69 Pay 'N Pak Outrigger in 1/8 scale. So I am looking for any advice or suggestions on this new adventure.

1) I have read that there are some inaccuracies on the Newton plans...the only thing I see is the bottom of the tail fin hanging off the back.

2) Turn fin location?

3) C/G

4) Tips on sponson attachment...thinking about making them removable.

I have looked the plans over and it looks like the tub will be easy but those sponsons will be a major pain! My plan is to prototype with foam board first this time so I won't waste as much wood and may be quicker and easier to work with. So, I'm off to have those plans scaled up...and maybe purchase a new band saw while I am at it.

Thanks in advance, Tim

P.S. PM's are welcome

David Jensen ran one for several years with R/C Unlimiteds, was almost unbeatable. I haven't seen his boat in years so I can't tell you any of the details about it

11825174_955952234465033_6470632699695505849_n.jpg Hi Tim, this is a glass hull that I made a couple of years ago, its very fast but it's taking some time to get it sorted out .ive only run it 4 or 5 times as i just don't get to the lake much.i had put the engine too far forward initially and it wanted to nosedive, i moved it back and it did help, but it can be flighty and sometimes still looks like it wants to trip over itself.

I worked from Newton plans and think that it would help if it had a longer afterplane, eventually i will modify the sponson bottoms to do this. Im not sure what the inaccuracies with the plans are that other people have mentioned . I haven't been able to get too much info on the real boat.

At the moment a friend has the boat. I said that he can do some races if he can spend the time trying different setups, so at the moment,i can't give you any measurements.

Ive also started on a 1/6 scale version of the hull , it will have an inline twin. I will be increasing the afterplane length on this one as wellFB_IMG_1439008643277.jpeg

11863468_955952117798378_4288768920711903275_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been running the '69 Pak for a number of years now and while it does run extremely well I will say it was by far the most temperamental hull to get right of any 1/8th scale I've ever done. If you choose to do this boat the biggest thing I can tell you is to be patient with getting the set up right, I spent MANY hours at the pond to get mine where it is now.
default_smile.png

Thanks for the input guys. I think at this stage of my design, motor placement is the most critical. Initially I was very happy to see that I would be able to get the motor forward of the back of the sponsons. Anyone that has built a gas scale can tell you that a lot of weight is needed in the nose to get the C/G right and you are limited as to how far forward you can place the motor due to it's size ... the side exhaust/carb. width and the height with that big 'ol spark plug sticking out the top. The motor weighs about 5 times as much as a .67 CMB and you are stuffing it in a hull that is only 1.2 times the size of an eighth scale. All in all, I think motor, pipe and hardware are somewhere around 7-8 pounds!

Roger shows the C/G at 5 inches behind the back of the sponson riding surface (blown up to gas scale size). Compare that to about two inches on a conventional hull. I suppose that most modern pure outrigger designs also have a more rearward C/G...somebody correct me if I am wrong please
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back