How long is Nitro good for?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
An 'ol buddy has some nitro that's been in a sealed container for about 10 years.

I know if it's turned blue it's no good (shock sensitive) but otherwise will it be OK?

How long is a sealed can of nitro good for?

Terry I just finished off a supply last year that was at least 10 years.

An 'ol buddy has some nitro that's been in a sealed container for about 10 years.
I know if it's turned blue it's no good (shock sensitive) but otherwise will it be OK?

It was in a 5 gallon container that Steve green had given me along with the nitro when I moved down to Huntsville in 1997 and Steve had it in his basement since I don't have a basement it is stored in the garage on a bottom shelf. You can get the containers at any speed shop I got 2 new ones Square for $15 each last year gave one to Bullard and kept the other one for my alcohol.

Thanks, how'd ya store it?
I store mine in glass JARS,but call mine SHINE
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ron Zaker was looking for some of that SHINE LOL..

Terry,

A guy here in town runs a AAA Fuel car and he told me he won't use it over a year old.. said once you break the seal.. even if you put it into another container. the property's break down.. He has some fancy digital meter that shows you. and i am by no means a chemist.

just passing that along.

chris

I keep my ingredients in 5 gallon containers. I have opened them multiple times over the past 3 years or so and the fuel still seems to do just fine.

Ron Zaker was looking for some of that SHINE LOL..

Terry,

A guy here in town runs a AAA Fuel car and he told me he won't use it over a year old.. said once you break the seal.. even if you put it into another container. the property's break down.. He has some fancy digital meter that shows you. and i am by no means a chemist.

just passing that along.

chris
Thanks Chris, wonder what the meter could be for?

I know they use a digital hydrometer at the track, that just measures Specific Gravity to see how pure it is, I have an "old school" one that's just the graduated float type...

Hi all , at our pond i recently saw the difference between "old" fuel (couple of years ) and some freshly mixed stuff - they were both the same make up ( %nitro etc)

i gotta say it was an enormous difference , very very noticeable

i reckon if your not sure , borrow a tank of new stuff and see if there is a difference between what your already using

i buy only 10 litres of each at a time - little bit dearer , but definately fresh

my 2 cents

hope it helps

Andrew

I know when we were running Topfuel Dragbikes, we usually stuck to the less than a year old rule also. Once the seal on the big drum was broken, it doesnt take long to break down. Putting it into smaller containers certainly helps, but there was no way to get all of the air out. Alchohol is even worse.

~James

Well, just talked to a fairly knowledgeable rep at VP and apparently as long as it's stored in a lined (their's are phenolic) container it's OK, even if it's been opened.

Stored in just a metal can or plastic jug for more than just a day and it begins to absorb moisture (right throught the container) and the "light stuff" (saturates and olephins) evaporate off.

He mentioned he's had customers that stored nitro in their trailers for just a few weeks that were complaining about their cars being "flat"...

Well, just talked to a fairly knowledgeable rep at VP and apparently as long as it's stored in a lined (their's are phenolic) container it's OK, even if it's been opened.
Stored in just a metal can or plastic jug for more than just a day and it begins to absorb moisture (right throught the container) and the "light stuff" (saturates and olephins) evaporate off.

He mentioned he's had customers that stored nitro in their trailers for just a few weeks that were complaining about their cars being "flat"...

Where can you buy phenolic lined containers? I have nitro stored in metal gallon cans - methanol too.

The nitro is fine. The methanol is what you must protect from moisture. Even opening a container will let it absorb. The stuff turns a milky white when I pour it into a breaker. That is water absorbtion.

Back