How do you recover a stranded boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend who decided to retrive his boat while it was still running,the rudder was stuck so it was going round and round, ??? :'( well after he got back from the hospital with i forget how many stitches he new it was a bad idea,but he did get his boat. ;D im glad i wasent there. :eek:

I had used a breifcase boat. This thing is 36" x 24" x 24" before it is put together. It will fit in the trunk of a car. Once put together it is 7' long x 7' wide x 2' deep, has a seat, a place for a trolling motor and battery. This worked great for a while. Now I am using a 10' jon boat and a 3.3 hp Mercury. This fits in my 14' rc trailer. Well I guess since I am not using the breifcase boat anymore it is for sale. If interested I'll get some pictures to post.

A brief case boat? Who are you, James Bond? ;D

I'd like to see pics anyway,never saw one.

I was going to build a pontoon type of boat out of light ply. But I don't have enough time this year. I like the idea of PVC. It would be a easy build! I just might give that a try!

I saw a electric retrive boat one time that was made out of 2- 2 1/2" pvc tubing in a u shape it had a electric out board on the back of it. It probably worked fine if it was not to far out there. We use a fishing pole an 2 man rubber raft with oars.

Tim

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would share a little secret on how Josh an I recover our boat here in Kentucky. The redneck way.

Tim

PB Racing

Boys that l@@k's that looks like Josh driving. That's a 9.9 H.P. FLAAAAT bottom speed TABLE, Can't get it at Wal-Mart.Go get her son!!!!!!!!!!

Ron, you talking about Kalamazoo is getting me home sick.. Being from G.R., I miss Michigan..

Then there's Tim with PB Racing.. Just where are you in Ky?? I live in Anderson county (Lawrenceburg) and work in Lexington.

BTW - I use a 17' tri-hull w/85 horses ;D retrive my boats..

Mark...

Hey OB Nut!

I am from Grand Rapids. ;D Which area are you from, I live in Comstock Park, But I grew up on the NE side.

Currently, i swim out to recover my boat...but since winter is approaching fast, i will have to start using the fishing rod trick or my electric tunnel at slow speed..it was pretty chilly 2 days ago when i went out, had to rev myself up and run and jump in to get it haha

Kris

I know of 1 case of someone drowning when swimming out to rescue a boat. Happened not too far from my home town.

I prefer to use my Pinkie rubber ball and hand reel. I can throw really far! I've one time in the past convinced a homeless guy as a joke to swim out and get it. It cost me a cup of coffee from my thermos. I never thought in a million years he's do it. If any of you guys have ever seen the water out at Spreckels Lake in San Francisco, believe me you wouldn't jump in it if you were on fire!!! It's that nasty. Sometimes I feel sorry for that guy. :-[

Having run r/c boats since 1965, I know of three cases where people have drowned while swimming after model boats.

Probably the worst case occurred at Belle Island, Detroit, some years ago when a model boater told a kid he'd pay him $10 to swim after his stalled boat. The kid started out after the boat and began struggling to stay afloat. The guy who owned the boat just stayed on the beach and watched the kid drown. He didn't even attempt to call for help. Before the fire fighters and police arrived, the guy's boat blew into the shore line so he loaded up and went home. He was later arrested - but I don't know what the charges were. Maybe leaving the scene of an accident. This made the national news.

We had a person drown here in the Washington a few years back when he swam after a boat that was stuck in some lilly pads. He also got tangled in the lilly pads and drown.

Besides three drownings, I have seen probably at least 6 to 8 instances where guys have fallen out of the row boat. The most recent being last December at our local pond. In this incident, the guy was struggling about 70' from the shore and one of our guys yelled at him - "Stand up." The water was about three feet deep. It was somewhat amusing, but really not funny when you think of what could have happened had he been in deeper water. And yes, we do have life jackets - but he chose not to wear it when he went to get his boat. It's a club rule to wear a life jacket, but as the old saying goes - "Rules are made to be broken."

After all these years of running model boats, there's three things I've managed to really master: rowing, throwing a tennis ball with line attached, and repairing mashed boats. Cannot say those are great accomplishments, just the truth.

Jerry D.

You sure were mean to that Bum! I would have given him the whole Thermos! I'll try to get some shots of the Imfamous Toxic Pond this week when I finally run the HH .12. The Geese don't even crap there it's so bad! At least we're not stepping in it whenever we go.

I just picked up a new 2-man inflatable boat last week, Old Leakin' Lena was getting pretty bad. For $20.00, about $7.00 for a set of oars, there is no reason why a person with enough money to afford an R/C boat shouldn't have one at the minimum. Even a cheap Zebco 707 reel with a ball is better than risking your life trying to swim out after your dead boat.

If you ever get back up this way again, let Wade or myself know! You won't even have to bring a boat, I've got a few that you can drive. Plenty of places to run, Riverside Park near Wade's house or several ponds within 2 miles of my place.

I know you would have heard this before, but i am a confident swimmer..and my boat is never more than10m away from the shore...maybe 15

the longest i am ever in the actual water is about 30 secs! iwhen driving my boat i do it in a figure 8 turning towards to shore so if it dies in the turn (which is where it usually does) it glides a little bit in the direction of the shore.

oh yeah, i am never at the lake long enough just yet..always breaking something or something going wrong after a tank or 2! so most of the time would be spent pumping a boat up rather than running ;)

Kris

Kris, have any kids or other loved ones in your life?

Please think twice or three times next time you get the urge to swim after your boat. You can easily cast a line or throw a ball 30 feet.....

Back