How do you recover a stranded boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcboatlover

Hey guys just wanted some ideas on how you recoverd your boats when they stall. I have an electric boat that I used to push them back last summer, but it was hard to line up perfectaly with the back of the dead boat. I heard of pulling fishing line with a float to try and snag the running hardware, but does this really work? I could really use some ideas here!!!

I take a rod & reel with me using a topwater lure when it dies close to shore, otherwise I throw a 2-man inflatable "Stroke boat" into the back of my truck. You can get these for about $30-40.00 at discount stores with oars. A cheap 12 volt pump for around $8.00, not the one for tires.

I used to just swim out to get it, until one time the water was too cold. I had to wait 3 hours for a fisherman to retreive the boat for me. Now I just go out in my 1/1 boat, and if I don't go in that, I take my little aluminum boat.

I use a tennis ball on a fishing pole when the boat is close in (does require a bit of practice), and an electric boat when it's farther out than I can accurately cast.

I myself use just the closed faced fishing reel alone with a solid rubber "practice ball"(little leauge 9" size) with a hole drilled thru the center, and 20lb test line attached to it with a swivel fitting.

This setup has the weight to be able to throw far, and yet still floats. The line then catches a small hook or other item on top of the boat to bring it in. This has worked well for me, and saved many stranded boats. ;D

Andy

Swimming for it is a violation of the safety rules,fishing rods,small boats are cheap,if you use a boat don't forget the personal floatation device,,use them,and you will be able to go rc boating another day.

Now isnt that what the little kids that are DRAWN to the pond as soon as you start your boat is for??

5 bucks and they will jump through hoops to get the boat.

Seems kids come out of the wood work the min i fire them up, course MILLION questions, while you are trying to drive it around.

NEVER swim after a dead boat!!!!! I've heard too many stories of near drownings because of trying this stunt! When I got my first nitro tunnel, I walked out onto an old rotted dock to grab my boat and the dock collapsed and I went through into who-knows-how-deep muck that I wouldn't be able to get out of if I hadn't caught myself. Needless to say I almost needed a clean change of underwear! The boat sat there until I went to a nearby Discount store and got myself an inflatable boat. Now I don't go out without a retrieve boat in the back of my truck.

Just walking out to lauch at some ponds, seems that you sink. I have noticed some ponds have crap all around them along the shore.

Hey Ron what do you put your boat in or on inside the blow up boat? I would think one wrong move or bump a rudder or skeg would go through the boat bottom.

or do you line it with duct tape ;D

the ponds you run in, more in the open or resd area?

I see alot around me in the industrial parks, cops seem to think everything is against the law when running in a resd pond. I guess smiling and nodding only works a few times.

I have to be really careful when hauling the boats, the rudders and props will cut the inflatables real easily. I use the 2-man because it fits under my cab-high cap in my 6-1/2 foot bed. You can get some quick inflators at K-mart for around $8.00 that will blow it up quickly at the pond that is made for air mattresses if you have a car.

My practice pond is across the street from where I work, in an Industrial area. I have another large pond about 1-1/4miles north of me that have no trouble at except for weeds late in the year. I did run at one in a residential area until one person complained so I don't go there any more. The only hassle we had was from a DNR Officer because we set up an IMPBA legal course in a lake but he was cool about it. He told us to get a "Regatta" permit, he would OK it. Then he stayed and Radared us! We did get the permit with his help and he pushed it through quickly for us.

I did actually have a person from the City of Kalamazoo Dept. of Parks and Recreation approach us (!) about having us use a park to hold a race at. They have one that they are putting almost 1 Million Dollars into and want to get rid of the unsavory characters in it (crack dealers and Hookers) to make it into a Family park again. They asked me want we needed! You never know..........

I did actually have a person from the City of Kalamazoo Dept. of Parks and Recreation approach us (!) about having us use a park to hold a race at. They have one that they are putting almost 1 Million Dollars into and want to get rid of the unsavory characters in it (crack dealers and Hookers) to make it into a Family park again. They asked me want we needed! You never know..........
Wow - that's great. I'd be asking for either a sand "beach" area or a pontoon to launch from and a permanent driver's stand!

When I use my inflatable boat for rescue I take a "bungy cord" A lenght of elastic rope with hooks on each end. Then I just hook the rope to the boat and tow it back to shore. Beats puncturing the inflatable with a rudder, fin, prop etc.

Hi Guy's,

As I've been in and out of boats a couple of times and have done the fishing rod, swim out to the baot, inflatable ways of rescuing stopped boats.

When I decided I wanted to concentrate on tunnels this time around I made the decision to go out and buy an aluminium dingy as tunnels stop more often than not. If you look at the amount you invest in your RC boating gear isn't the coast for being able to safely rescue yours and running buddies boats worth the bit extra. Might stop you buying that new motor but if your boat sinks in a lot of lakes you'll need more than a new motor.

Thats my approach, not for everyone.

GT

I usualy go to a city park to drive my boats, so bringing a large boat with me is out of the question. I could probably get away with a inflatable but I would get some strange looks! I really like the idea of paying the local kids to swim and get it! I thought of doing that, but like somebody said these little ponds are really dangerous. I had to swim out to a boat last year and found the bottom very muddy and hard to get out of. what about my electric boat. Is there a good way to modify it to tow the stranded boat back? Please keep the ideas comming!

What I really want to do is build a pontoon type of boat to stradle the dead boat so I can easily drive it back to shore. But summer is almost oppon us and I don't have time. I will have to build it next winter.

well,

im just starting to train my Chesapeake Bay Retriever puppy his role in hunting, maybe if i included an old boat hull with the duck decoys he'd pick it up?? ;D :) :p

that would be really cool, as long as he didn't try to grab it by the tuned pipe or something like that!

i wonder if anyone's actually done that, my old lax [lacrosse] coach tought his dog to retrieve lacrosse balls, he was probably the most valuable member of the team.

Joe

I have two dogs. A black and a yellow lab! They both love water and retrieving things... maby your onto something! :D

My chocolate Lab fetches balls and sticks real well in the water, but shes already chewed up one of my old riggers (thankfully it was retired) She really likes the taste of light ply and CA. ???........I think i will stick with the retrieval boat! 8)

~ James

A friend of mine built a retrive boat out of 2"pvc pipe for pontunes caped off at each end of cource ,the radio box was made out of a tuperware cantainer motor was mounted in side with a steel prop shaft assembly coming out of the backside all electronics were mounted inside with struts coming off the pvc pontunes to the tuperware box, it was wide enought to drive right over his tunnel and bring it in not a real good discription but it might give you some ideas . I myself have a 10 horse johnson with a 12' boat luckey me.Wifes parents have a big pond.

Back