How do you recover a stranded boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to your dad's house, grab his best fishing rod with a tube lure, a tennis ball on the end with tewnty pound test and you're set or a truck inner tube floats ya real nice and is easy to haul around!!!!

Ron/Wade,

The better half is from the north side of Grand Rapids, I'm from Kentwood. Moved out of G.R. back in mid 92. Worked part time at Riders from late 89 to when I moved out. We plan on coming back for a week in June as both kids B-Days are June 12th.

I'll have to keep the offer in mind. Hey, I thought they closed Riverside Park (G.R.) down for R/C boaters? Believe it was after the 93 IMBPA that this was done.. Someone with a twin rigger was running at 07:00 on a Sunday. Can't understand some people... Normally, twins sound sweet! ;D ;D

Mark.....

Their last race was in `98 or `99. I have a `98 trophy plaque on my wall, that's how I know. There was a nasty incident with a flock of ducks when a gas 'rigger decided to go WAY wide on the course. The DNR, Kent County Sheriff's Dept and Animal Control were notified. I also heard that dwindling membership was another factor, there about only 3 active racers left in the Club, Scott VanSlooten, Keith O'Brien and some other guy who's name escapes me.

On my fishing pole, I use a Rebel top-water lure, some old tackle from my Bass tournament days.

I'm just waiting for someone to gripe about my boats! With all of the Sub-woofer amped cars cruising, the music Festivals every Summer weekend downtown and Harley's with open pipes leaving a nearby Bar, my boats are quiet!

Please dont get me wrong...i do not think 'it wont happen to me' i dont swim for it because i want to...it is because i come to the lake un prepared :( What i said about being a confident swimmer may have coe across te wrong way...

I plan to get a fishing rod with a lure or tennis ball attached, for the exact reasons mentioned by you on here and by some on the RRR forum! the water definately does slow you down quickly and can cause your muscles to stop working properly.

I plan on taking up your advise, well i was ging to do it anyway, before you all mentioned it..for those EXACT reasons stated!

Thanks and I will think SAFETY from now on! :D

Kris

Like everyone else.....I've got the itch....bad!!

Sunday afternoon...I couldn't take it anymore...so I loaded up (what I thought was) my most reliable boat...and without any retrieval gear....headed down to the lake. (When running with the local club we have a retrieval row-boat, or otherwise my friends and I run them from my old 21' cabin cruiser)

40 minutes later...the boat was dead....30' from shore...and noone with a boat around.

With very few options...I jumped in...

HOLY CRAP!!! the 40 minutes of fun WAS NOT worth it. The water couldnt have been more than 5C (34F).

I retrieved it allright...but now completely understand how quickly cold water can affect someone. Had it been another 20ft out...who knows...

Never again!!

I did however have a few friends with me (onshore)....had I got into trouble...I am sure they would have stopped laughing long enough to help...I doubt I would have even tried retrieving it had noone been around.

My friend and I had gone to a lake in Berkely where we aren't supposed to race RC boats, but we just had to try it. We put his most reliable boat in the water, and into the first turn about 60 yards away the boat died. We had no pole and no boat. The water was ice cold! My buddy stripped down to his skibby's. Well the Sheriff told him right when he was about to jump in the water that if he did, he was going to jail. He said he could give a rats a@@ if we ever got the boat back! Good thing he didn't know we weren't allowed to run boats here.

After realizing we had NO MONEY we made a 50 min round trip to get his money, than went to three stores looking for an inflatable boat. After finally finding one we inflated the boat and he rowed out to get it. After rowing about 200 yards the prop cut a hole in the center section and water began flooding in causing him to be soaking wet and freezing his nut sack off.

What a disaster that trip was! LOL

I have to say that Pole and ball works great, not that my boats die, just when they ummm run out of gas is all. On the last 2 weekends, i have seen the cops both days, first time, Figured ok, hes going to chase us out of here. He drove on by and waved, Seen him the next, never even drove by us. Kept it about 1/4 throttle untill he was gone, and opened her back up.

See NOT ALL COPS ARE JAG OFFs and on a power trip.

;D ;D ;D Some know you are just having fun ;D ;D

HAS ANYONE ever gotten a TICKET Or FINE for running there boat at a pond?

Just a few blocks from my house is a condo complex wrapped around a beautiful pond. It is over a mile and a half if you walk around it. It even has a nice little dock that would make a great drivers stand! I thought about trying it last year, but the no trespassing signs have been a pretty good deterent. ;D Last week a new girl started at my wifes work. Wouldn't you know it she lives in that complex!!! I can't wait to meet this girl and become her new best friend! :D

Latest posts

Back