Houston

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckshot

Damm it I wish I could be in Crosby, TX right now!! Chillin under the pavillion chuging ice cold Shiners. ;)

Have fun guys! Keep us updated.

-Buck-

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll be thinking about ya Buck.....

I believe there is a wet t-shirt contest scheduled for tonight.... ;)

We'll be thinking about ya Buck.....
I believe there is a wet t-shirt contest scheduled for tonight.... ;)
I did not see any wet t-shirt contest at the hog stop bar and grill but it was quite a party. I want to thank the Houston Club for putting on a great race. Had a little trouble with the clock but these things happen and the weekend went off very well in my opinion. All in all i think that this i a premeire race site. you guys should look in to hosting the internats. Hats of to LSMBC.

thanks for a great Race.,

Scott Wadlow

Joern, and all who made it a great race,

It was really nice to have you come and race with us, especially coming from such a long way. We look forward to having you come back some time. A big thanks to everyone who came from out of town. The clock issue was a little bit of a bummer but the race still went off well. Anyone wanting to come out and enjoy another race on Memorial weekend put it on your schedule, maybe we can make it even biger and better.

Can you post the results for those of us who couldn't make it down for the race?

David

I heard some bad news today and hope it is not true!
:( :(

-Buck-

:(
Its true. They are looking for another site for the Memorial Day race. The Hawg Stop is history!
Hey Bob,

What's the deal with that? They haven't even raced there for very long. Something just doesn't seem right with this.

David

Was it because of noise?
Like I said in another post, I have never been there, but I understand the pond was behind or close to a biker bar? Please correct me if I am wrong. If that was the case I don't see how noise could have been an issue. I mean Hogs ain't exactly quiet themselves.

Was it because of noise?
Like I said in another post, I have never been there, but I understand the pond was behind or close to a biker bar? Please correct me if I am wrong. If that was the case I don't see how noise could have been an issue. I mean Hogs ain't exactly quiet themselves.
Apparently the neighbors complained about the noise from the boats before the race. The club tried to curtail the running til after 10Am on Sundays, but the race was already scheduled. The property owner was threatened with legal trouble if the boats didn't leave. Its hard to believe the boats were the real problem, with the bikers, a thousand cars, music blasting til 3 Am etc, gunshots at night, etc, etc.. It just doesn't make sense, but its apparently done. It was a fun place to race when the races didn't copincide wuith the biker events, but this might have just been too much.

Was it because of noise?
Apparently the neighbors complained about the noise from the boats before the race. The club tried to curtail the running til after 10Am on Sundays, but the race was already scheduled. The property owner was threatened with legal trouble if the boats didn't leave. Its hard to believe the boats were the real problem, with the bikers, a thousand cars, music blasting til 3 Am etc, gunshots at night, etc, etc.. It just doesn't make sense, but its apparently done. It was a fun place to race when the races didn't copincide wuith the biker events, but this might have just been too much.
Does this have anything to do with tomorrow being the first of the month? I sure hope so.

Oh well........ :( :( :(

I guess one mans music is another man noise holds true.

While we enjoy the sound of boat noise, others night be really irritated by it.

For me its barking dogs. I can take the sound of lawnmowers or weed eaters but when a dog lights up and starts barking continiously it really bugs me and usually runs me inside.

Dog owners can sit there ans listen to that all day long, but I have a low tolerance level for it.

I guess our boats are to them like barking dogs are to me.

Part of the problem is likely the length of time that the "noise" lasted - the pond is not that far from a number of houses. On Sunday the first engine fired up in the pits around 7:30 AM - this after a full day of racing to near dark on Saturday. Heck, after two days of listening to gas and nitro engines I was ready for a break. ;)

Hindsight says that much stricter noise limits should have been enforced. I noted that a couple of the .20 hydros were very very quiet, not a lot louder than the electric boats. Had all the fuel boats been similarly quieted, there probably would not have been an issue. Too bad.....but this can be a warning to other clubs, don't be complacent, be proactive in keeping the noise down. IMO it would be advisable to use stricter noise limits that the National organizations mandate. 86 dB would not bee too quiet, if enforced. I know a lot of guys love the noise - but what does that matter if you can't run the boats ?

It is a shame that Houston lst the pond - the home owners gave the bar owner an ultimatium "Either the boats go - or the cops get called EVERY weekend on the the Bikes". As a businessman the bar owner had no choice.

We where able to see what the Europeans are dong - The guys frfom Norway brought their boats and you could hardly hear them. They have to meet a 80dB sound level. Their equipment was just as fast as our noisy boats.

Hopefully Houston will find a suitable location.

Good Luck

We where able to see what the Europeans are doing - The guys from Norway brought their boats and you could hardly hear them. They have to meet a 80dB sound level. Their equipment was just as fast as our noisy boats.
Was that Kjell & Tore' you're referring to?? If so I got to race with them a few years back, two really nice guys who are every bit as fast as us & doing at 80dB. B)

While I truly feel badly for you guys down there & hope you can find an alternate site, I think this just serves as yet another wake up call. :(

As a member of the LSMBC, yes it's true, the lake there is a done deal. Personally I think the noise from the boats being the real problem is a bunch of BS, but when you don't own the land there really isn't a lot you can do. I spent a good while talking with the guys that came down from Norway and they have much more stringent noise laws there. His boats were much quieter than ours and he was plenty fast. I agree with one of the posts above: If we don't take a proactive approach to this issue it's only going to get worse. Commercial and residencial development is getting tighter and tighter in most areas around the country and the noise problem is not going away. What needs to happen is the people making the pipes need to start on something now and get a resolution in the works to help everyone involved. Thinking about it now, if we had already had something going for quieter pipes and had our own noise control set up, we probably would have never lost the lake.

Gary,

Add to the problem, the dB of the loud speakers directing the race (the one by us was really LOUD), the noise generated bu the Hawg Stop patrons, including the Harley's, live bands, and the Yahoos burning rubber down Sheldon Road - - - and that "Cummulative Noise Level" was the "Noise Issue". The Hawg Stop's business is selling Beer to bikers. One or two residents threatening to cause problems to that income is what drove the Hawg Stop owner into eliminating part of his problem with the neighbors. How long do you believe it will take

for the same neighbors to complain about the "noise" generated by the Hawg Stops paying clientel,on a weekly basis, blasting Harleys down Sheldon, or having live bands playing into the early morning. The writting is on the wall - - he has problems that will not be cured by eliminating the 3 races LSMBC put on a year at that site. Just my Opinion. CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

Gary,

Add to the problem, the dB of the loud speakers directing the race (the one by us was really LOUD), the noise generated bu the Hawg Stop patrons, including the Harley's, live bands, and the Yahoos burning rubber down Sheldon Road - - - and that "Cummulative Noise Level" was the "Noise Issue". The Hawg Stop's business is selling Beer to bikers. One or two residents threatening to cause problems to that income is what drove the Hawg Stop owner into eliminating part of his problem with the neighbors. How long do you believe it will take

for the same neighbors to complain about the "noise" generated by the Hawg Stops paying clientel,on a weekly basis, blasting Harleys down Sheldon, or having live bands playing into the early morning. The writting is on the wall - - he has problems that will not be cured by eliminating the 3 races LSMBC put on a year at that site. Just my Opinion. CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

Back