hopping in the corners

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

MY .12 rigger is hopping in the corners. I'm looking for suggestions on how to fix it.

My strut is flat with the hull. Could it be my turn fin? Add a little negative angle to the strut?

What prop are you running. My rigger was hopping real bad and I ended up going to a lower pitch prop and it smoothed out some. I also moved my turn fin back toward the transom a bit anf almost all of the hop is gone. I think the prop made the biggest difference though.

I'm running a few different props,.. 637, 1440 cut to 37.. Only hops in the corners. Smooth as silk in straights.

What prop are you running. My rigger was hopping real bad and I ended up going to a lower pitch prop and it smoothed out some. I also moved my turn fin back toward the transom a bit and almost all of the hop is gone. I think the prop made the biggest difference though.

Likey.....Rear sponson angle to steep or not enough flat secion on the fronts..

Grim

AOA on rears is 2 deg. At least 6 IN of flat on front sponsons.

Is this type of hop caused by the prop dropping into the water and bouncing too far back up? If so would it help to lower the rear sponsons to stop the prop from dropping?

Never had this on previous boats.

What causes a boat to hop in the corners but not in the straights?

AOA on rears is 2 deg. At least 6 IN of flat on front sponsons.
Is this type of hop caused by the prop dropping into the water and bouncing too far back up? If so would it help to lower the rear sponsons to stop the prop from dropping?

Never had this on previous boats.

What causes a boat to hop in the corners but not in the straights?
Sounds to me like there is toooooo much angle on the rears.

I found one part of the problem. I had too much positive angle on the turn fin. I had the boat running and turned straight at me. The turn fin sponson was lifting and the opposite side was really planting. I changed that and had some improvement. I also found that my rudder is quite sloppy in the mount. The bushing needs to be replaced.

I found one part of the problem. I had too much positive angle on the turn fin. I had the boat running and turned straight at me. The turn fin sponson was lifting and the opposite side was really planting. I changed that and had some improvement. I also found that my rudder is quite sloppy in the mount. The bushing needs to be replaced.
Is the bottom of the rudder flat? If so round it.

Add 1-2 degrees negative in the strut. Adjust the strut so that the tub rides flat in the sraights. If it still hops then you have too much lift in the prop. Your turn fin curvature should be parallel with the flat on the bottom of the tub.

Back