Hobby King Radio's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Fowler

Which of the Hobby King steering wheel radio's is the better HK300, HK310 or GT2.2 ?

I'm going to change over from sticks to a steering wheel.

Phil Fowler

I have the GT2 and I am sure others that have it will agree it works quite well.

A friend has the HK310 but hasn't had a chance to try it out yet...interested to see how well it works. bonus to the HK310 is, it has 3 channels and digital control over the endpoints and such. All I can say so far is that it has a good look and feel to it...

Are these HK radios GT2 - GT3 a good alternative to the lower end futaba and spectrum radios .They seem every inexpensive in comparison (Price wise)

I was considering trying out a wheel as well

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I can add about the GT2 is that the number one concern to me is the strength and reliability of the signal...for that it gets and "A". For durability...I would give it a low "B" or high "C" rating...after all it is just a $20 radio. The GT3 uses the same receiver, so I assume it has has the same signal.

The things I did not like were, first ... the way the throttle trigger fit my finger. Not that there was anything wrong with it...it was a bit tight and just bugged me a bit. And second, I broke the antenna on the Transmitter. This was totally my fault. I can't say that the folding antenna on a high dollar Futaba or Spektrum radio would be any more reliable. Also, the wheel just seems a bit chinsy...still works though.

If you belong to a club, you may want to ask around and see if anyone has a Tactic radio from an Aquacraft Vegas that they want to part with. I am still amazed at how well these cheap radios work. New, they are more expensive than the HK radios...but the build quality is the same. The receivers have no external antenna....yet the signal strength is every bit as good as my Futaba 3PKS. I have even used this receiver in a sailboat...with the RX siting below the waterline!

Get a Futaba 3pmx and be done with it no problems why spend less for a r5adio you dont know what will happen pay a little more and save your boat, i think it is worth the money Robert

One of the ways HK sells cheap is that they do zero quality control testing on any of thier products. I would not trust any of my boats to product like that.

http://www.hobbypart...rradio-lcd.html

I have found Hobby Partz easier to deal with and they ship out of San Ftransisco I believe. The FS-GT3B has worked very well in cars and boats for me. I have Futaba and Nomadio's also and the signal strength on the Flysky has been equal or better. $40 for a radio and $8 an extra reciever. has a built in failsafe on channel 2. I am not going to tell you it is better quality than a Futaba but for the simple steering and throttles we use a KIA will do the same job as a Lexus. The TV set you buy for $800 today cost $5000 three years ago. Electronics gets better and cheaper all the time. The only electronics that doesn't seems to be rc radios? In electronics 90% of failures are power supply. That means batteries and switches which over the years seems to be the root of any failure I have had.

Mic

My nephew has been running a HK FS-GT3B. Radio is easy and no problems.

I also bought one used it for a 1/2 year and a bottom got stuck. I will say like everything else this could happen to other radios also. I will be replacing that radio with the same thing for my boy.

TL

My thing is Im new to the boat hobby and have an older Futaba 3 channel gold box stick radio built like a tank but would like to try a wheel radio

So dont want to in invest hundreds into a wheel radio if i find i do still prefer use a stick

The Futaba 3 chl can be conveeted to 2.4 ghz. Real easiy if it has a plug in module. Cost less than $50 and all functions still work.

Mic;

What servo's are you using? Do the Futaba & HiTech plug into the RX

Rick
Like Tim stated Futaba & HiTec both plug in. I use both Futaba and HiTec servos. 3305 & 645's for standard steering and larger 5301's and 805mg. I like the HS225 over the HS81's which have failed more often as throttle servos.

Mic

Get a Futaba 3pmx and be done with it no problems why spend less for a r5adio you dont know what will happen pay a little more and save your boat, i think it is worth the money Robert
I agree 100%.

Companies like Futaba spend the money on R&D to come up with new radios and then the Chinese companies just copy it. If you stop buying from the major brand radio companies there will be less money for R&D on future technologies....

Latest posts

Back