HOBART 2015 WAS PHENOMENAL ! ! !

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickKirbitz

2015 marks 40 years since I first began running R/C model boats. 2015 also marks the year that I

registered and participated in my very first boat race.

Going from spectator to participant brings on a much higher level of consciousness for every aspect of our boating addiction. I knew that coming into this race that we all simply call "HOBART"...would be anything but simple. Much planning, preperation and focus are all mandatory qualities needed to participate at a race venue of this magnitude.

There was one thing that I did not prepare for, nor did I see coming. Boaters that I have known for years, as well as Boaters that I had just met, wished me well and offered there support with whatever I needed. WOW ! These people were PHENOMENAL ! I simply can not Thank the following people enough:

Stu Barr

Sean Barr

Bruce Jacobs

Kyle Jacobs

Brian Spitzer

Paul Stirton

Bert Dygert

Mark Sholund

John Beardslee

Mike Betke

Doug Murany

Dave Murany

Rick Donoghue

Dave Roach

Jim Wilson

Diane Wilson

Don Maher

A special and most heartfelt Thank You goes out to my Friend and Mentor of many years, for taking on the grueling task of being my Crew Chief and Pit Man, all while Operating and Racing at the finest Model Boat Race in the World. "HOBART" Great Job Stu ! I am very proud of your many accomplishments and congratulations on being the Winner of the 2015 Clock Tower Trophy.

My sincere apology to anyone that I may have overlooked.

So......How did I do? You ask?

My first three heats were DNS. My last heat in round 4 was DNF.

I got three plus laps into the race and the boat quits at b

bouy 6. Turns out that my glow plug had a blown seal...and we all now know what a Blown Seal sound like.

Erh ! Erh ! Erh !

I had a Great Time. Thanks Everybody.

Rick Kirbitz

IMPBA 7699

Rick,

It was an absolute pleasure to help you and give some advice. This is the second time we have met and I call you a true friend. I expect to see you running again next year.

I will be there again, Hobart is like a drug you just keep coming back for more.

Have fun my friend and lets talk soon.

Regards

Paul.

Paul,

Thank You for your kind words, your friendship and your much needed pond side intervention. It is always a great pleasure to spend time with you, for you are one of those special people that I feel as though I have known for years. It is my intention to enter a boat at Hobart next year. I look forward to our back and forth e-mails and to see you next year. As Hobart may be your drug of choice.....you might want to think twice about your affiliation with the Zombie Club !

Cheers Mate !

Rick.

Be sure to bring that boat out to Thread Lake in a couple weeks or I'll tell Stu on you!
default_tongue.png

Hobart is a special event. Special people, special location, special relationships. We are fortunate that the Indy Model Boat Club puts this event on each year.

Al Hobbs

Hobart is a special event. Special people, special location, special relationships. We are fortunate that the Indy Model Boat Club puts this event on each year.

Al Hobbs

Totally agree Al, well said. Different in a good way and definitely special.

Ron Jefferson

Rick,

It was great seeing you out there trying that hard after all of these years. Your support of this hobby all of these years has been great and to see you get out and compete was fun. If you need any help getting ready for next season let me know. Next step is to get all 6 of them laps in and win some heats.

Mike,

Thanks for all the kind words. I may very well take you up on your offer to help me. I know from being around you for many years, that you have a great skill set for dialing in an engine and hull set up. I could learn from one of the best. Getting in those six laps is my very next goal. I will see you soon.

Sincerely,

Rick Kirbitz

Rick,

Your consistancy will get better the more local races you attend also.

Burton, Spencer Park, Saginaw, these are all great practice for the

Bigger Races like Charleston and Hobart. Hope we can test together

SOON!!!

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Mark,

I plan on testing at Terry Keeley's Record Trial Event. October 3 & 4 on Thread Lake, in Flint Michigan. I hope to see you there. Rick.

Terry,

I would like to point out that you and your F.A.S.T. Team have made this historic IMPBA race site Great again. All of us model boaters that have enjoyed the many special R/C boat events held there over the years, owe you a Thank You for your dedication to that site. For the people that are not aware....Terry lives in Toronto Canada which is a five hour drive from the pond. More model boaters should take advantage of the BIG WATER...Great Job Terry ! Thanks !

See you soon. Rick

Thanks for the kind words Rick, it was nip and tuck for a while but thanks to the F.A.S.T. crew, the Murany's and a few others it looks like we saved the 'ol girl.
default_wink.png

Dave Murany dropped by and took a couple pics last week, since the county has taken over it's never looked better!

TLk1.jpg

TLk2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry, that site has never looked better. I know that there was a massive clean-up a couple of years ago as before that you had to watch where you stepped.

I post some shots from this year on the other thread in the racing events forum from Hobart on Saturday.

Latest posts

Back