HOBART 2011

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are already planning HOBART 2011. Race will be the same weekend as this year, weekend after Labor Day. It is very possible that this next year it will be extended to a 4 day race. I really would like to get at least 4 rounds in and because of the volume that say they are coming(new people), I don't see any other way. Let me know your thoughts. I hear that our Australian brothers are coming and that would be GREAT. This year, we had over $15,000.00 in awards and prizes. Next year will be more. What color of car do you want for winning the "Unlimited" class if it grows that much? I have a few shirts left from this years race. One large and 11 2xL's. Cost is $6.00 plus shipping. Email me at [email protected] if you would like one. Also, someone left a milk crate that had fuel, grease and other stuff in it at this year's race. I can tell you where it is if you want to contact me.

Stu Barr
I dont care for a 4 day race but have some ideas to help it move along at a better pace. This race is so much fun just being around the Hobart people makes it enjoyable. When this season winds down I will call you Stu and see if I can help. Id also like to thank all the NAMBA folks for being there great people and where is that OLD CARD TABLE.....
Stu,

I'm with Mike on this one. This was my first year at this race and although I didn't have a very good weekend (broke sport 40 shaft, broke scale shaft and then wrecked new scale), I had a great time meeting lots of great people I have heard about or people I've talked to through IW. I believe 4 days is stretching it though. It is possible to get 4 rounds in within 3 days. As Mike says, a better pace is required. I know the Can Am Club would be willing to assist you with your race, we had already talked about that. If you remember, we got 5 rounds and all of the raffles and prizes finished by 1:30 on Sunday. Grant it, we only had a 105 boats but our plan is much the same for next year, just bigger and better. Oh ya, motors for first place as usual.

As Mike said, when the season is over, we should talk.

Dave

Just to add to what Dave said, we had almost as many boats as Hobart at the Northern Nats and ran 4 rounds in 2 days and were done by 3 on Sunday afternoon. The key for us is using the shootout format and run as many 6 boat heats as possible. No more premade heat sheets where you run 2 and 3 boat heats because combining heats is a real pain. Just need a lap top computer and printer. Saves a lot of money at the printers as well.

I would pay money to see that....Chris Wood in a RED Smart Car... :p

and i would wedge my big --- in it to lol! might have to pull a hightower off of police academy and pull out the front seat but hey, whatever it takes lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
Having 6+ boats every heat would be the key......sissy's stay home! lol :)
Here is my ideas look out :D

Yes max boat heats, combine heats that are small due to scratches at the beginning of each round. If the round has 36 heats four rounds can be run in 3 8hr days easily.

Always sort the heats in a round with the top point boats racing together, win to stay on top, and gives the lower point heats boats a chance to catch up.

Run three full rounds and one more round with just the 6 high pointers in each class for 1600 total points possible.

Hate to say this but maybe cutting some of the less popular classes is in order for this race.

open gas, sport20 , rtr

Give out some better prizes for 2nd and 3rd, just a crying towel dont get it for me.

Might encourage more people to enter a class, lots of guys look at a race and say hey I can get into 2nd or 3rd place if not 1st.

Stu this race will be great no matter how you get it done but this is my thoughts about it.

OK OK OK

Aaron--you got the point. Actually that class lost us $ on the Jacket, awards and prize.

Chris--what is this red thing?

Rod--We love you Man :)

Dave K--you are class act, keep it coming.

Mike H--there is no way it will be a "shoot-out". I have seen it REALLY promotes bad driving. Look Atlanta the past several years on the twin shoot out. Great you guys/gals came and maybe you'll see us at London next year.

Speed Jr--you are right. No wimps for this race. You have to EARN it.

Joe W--Short run for you and as good as you are, you will be humbled.

I am still smiling about this race. Next year will be even better. Even though a lot of people helped us pull this off, we'll need more help next year. You guys are the best!

Rod, what is this I hear about BIG/LITTLE thing for a special award next year?

Best of the Best for this whole thing was METIME. Got stats from them on the race: Just under 1100 viewers with and average time of just under 4 1/2 hours each. 23 countries were viewing. AMAZING!

A few shirts left for sale.

Thanks,

Stu Barr, BTW Clock Tower Trophy Winner!

Stu,

I think you're confusing "shootout" with "winner take all". The shootout format is what Phil mentioned. Top 6 boats after each roundn race against each other. That means you have to beat the best to win. If you're in the second tier, (or next 6 boat heat) you get a chance to get a first place finish and work your way back into the thick of things. You were at the Can Am race and that's how they ran it. We tried it for the first time this year and would never go back to the old way with heat sheets. Most like this format but some don't. No matter what you do, you can't always please everyone.

Stu,

I think you're confusing "shootout" with "winner take all". The shootout format is what Phil mentioned. Top 6 boats after each roundn race against each other. That means you have to beat the best to win. If you're in the second tier, (or next 6 boat heat) you get a chance to get a first place finish and work your way back into the thick of things. You were at the Can Am race and that's how they ran it. We tried it for the first time this year and would never go back to the old way with heat sheets. Most like this format but some don't. No matter what you do, you can't always please everyone.

Yea winner take all finals are for scale class only, and then it just sucks to top quaify and crap out in the final. I have a loveit or hate it thing for scale finals.

Stu you have the Indiana Govenors cup trophy and you should use the scale final for the masters race, that would save some 4th round heats run too.

Running three rounds with top pointers in the same heat avoids run offs and if there are tie points after three it is settled in the 4th round heat.

A 4-day race next year? I'm in! I take the week off anyway so an extra day is no big deal for me. I may need to take the following week off also just to recover though.

Trophies, I couldn't care less about. I'd be there if Stu only handed out ribbons.

No complaints on the raffle though but I think that I won the biggest prizes of the event 2 years in a row!

Open Gas I was outclassed and knew that before I showed up but it was just plain cool to race against one of the icons of the sport, John Finch. Show up next year John and I may have a little more sumthin sumthin for you as my JAE rigger will be entered next year! I'd be elated to just have 2nd places against you.

Round 3 could have had all Cat's in as Don expressed to me and I felt the same way that it would have been a better heat if we had a shot to run against each other but Don had to make a run by himself. The Cat is going to be worked on or replaced, got another mono sitting in the basement that's getting the dust blown off and a new radio system in it as that's why I pulled the Lazer 45 out of competition. The RX pack in my red Cat was dead but I charged it the night before but some idiot left the RX switch on!

I'm already building and tunning for Hobart 2011.

It was made clear how far behind I am at this years event......I've got a long way to go.

Thanks Stu and the Gang it was a BLAST!!! :)

Buck

Hummmm I like Rods idea of a one size trophy fits all

You go Rod :) :). Thanx to Stu and his gang and the City of Hobart.

Hammer and Nails:): ==={}

I'm not quite sure what point it was I was suppose to get here but if that class lost you money, then it was probably because of one of two things. One it was promoted enough(Cant recommend how to do it better, I know more emphesis is put on the bigger classes) or two, people know that, that class is one that dont matter to a lot of people there. I know this is suppose to be the best of the best and I'm not trying to take anything away from that. I really enjoyed the first year in Hobart and was upset I had to miss this year. My original post was not meant to diss anybody or start a pissing match with anyone. I'd rather call it standing up for the little guys. That is suppose to be the class we support to draw in more boaters, the beginners. I like Phil's ideas except cutting RTR's. If people dont see them, then they think getting into this hobby is ALOT of money, in which it kinda is but it's still a good starter class and I think it's important people see them. By the way, we have 20 of them signed up for this weekend. They're right, if you keep the top point getters running against each other throughout the race, it still works out point wise to have the top points people in the final, just keeps the points closer, it's not a winner take all final, you still go off points. Look, I'm gonna apologize for anybody I may have made mad, but we all have things we believe and we should stand up for those things. Not get into pissing matches. Let your voice be heard It's the only way things are gonna get out to make us better.

The Indy Masters @ Hobart format is just fine as it is, all that's needed is to pick up the tempo and avoid the 2 and 3 boat heats. We lost a TON of time Saturday to mother nature and the special presentation to the City of Hobart. This is currently the best event out there in the model boating community for both racers and spectators so let's not screw it up. Like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. ;)

ya don but the presentation was not only cool but worth it, specially for the city. and you guys did a smokin job on that boat.

chris

ya don but the presentation was not only cool but worth it, specially for the city. and you guys did a smokin job on that boat.

chris
Chris there's no denying that was PRICELESS and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. With the rain not letting up much early Saturday morning and the scheduled presentation coming up it got to the point of holding off racing until we got that done, hence the big chunk of time lost. Also keep in mind that soooo much of the event was handled by Stu on his own, we need to work on that before next year for sure. Poor Stu had the deer in the headlights look before we even started racing......... :blink:

chris
Chris there's no denying that was PRICELESS and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. With the rain not letting up much early Saturday morning and the scheduled presentation coming up it got to the point of holding off racing until we got that done, hence the big chunk of time lost. Also keep in mind that soooo much of the event was handled by Stu on his own, we need to work on that before next year for sure. Poor Stu had the deer in the headlights look before we even started racing......... :blink:
Yeah "Poor Stu" !!!!! Still layed the smack down and won the Clock Tower Trophy! LOL! He makes it look easy.....I need his type of "deer in headlights look" lol! I cant wait till next year........

Larry Jr.

Great event, IT IS ALL ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE COMPETITION. My heat in F-hydro with my CMB 101 C/S with STU, his brother John and I think Will was incredible. After racing for over 30 yrs, a room full of trophies it is now all about the competition. You know when you have just had an incredible heat, when it is all over the adrenalin rush really hits because you start shaking coming down off of the driving stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stu, Keep it a three day race, and Don's sentiments are mine. The key position to keep things moving and on time are the persons with the microphone. DOC

As a lifelong NAMBA member & one of the "Evil NAMBA team" (who got there butt kicked) :(

I have one BIG PROBLEM. :ph34r: The Indy Masters at Hobart was my first IMPBA heat race in 40 yrs of racing rc boats. WHY have you guys kept this a secret so long??? :lol: This race is one of, if not the best race I have ever attended :) Well the cat is out of the bag & I will be telling anyone and everyone who will listen what an amazing time I had!!

Stu,Paula,Kyle & Bruce(my misfortune not to meet) you are very special people for all that you do and bring out the best in everyone around you. THANK YOU so very much for everything.

Don,John,Chris,Nub,Buckshot,Ron,Steve,Bob,Joe,Mike,Dave and everyone it was great to finally put a face with the name. God willing we will do it again.

Don :)

As a lifelong NAMBA member & one of the "Evil NAMBA team" (who got there butt kicked) :(

I have one BIG PROBLEM. :ph34r: The Indy Masters at Hobart was my first IMPBA heat race in 40 yrs of racing rc boats. WHY have you guys kept this a secret so long??? :lol: This race is one of, if not the best race I have ever attended :) Well the cat is out of the bag & I will be telling anyone and everyone who will listen what an amazing time I had!!

Stu,Paula,Kyle & Bruce(my misfortune not to meet) you are very special people for all that you do and bring out the best in everyone around you. THANK YOU so very much for everything.

Don,John,Chris,Nub,Buckshot,Ron,Steve,Bob,Joe,Mike,Dave and everyone it was great to finally put a face with the name. God willing we will do it again.

Don, had a blast hanging with you guys. Left coast, right coast, maybe we can meet in the middle again next year. Hobart rocks.
cool.gif
==={}

Don:

It was my pleasure meeting you and all the NAMBA members that traveled to this race. I also enjoyed the conversations and stories around the supper table. I hope that you, the Grims, Jim Wilson, Will G., and anyone I may have missed can make it back next year. Mr. Wilson did a great job on the mic.

Regards..........Rick

Back