Historical Race?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indy, "Just add Water" marina. Indy Unlimited? I'm sure I was there. LOL

Steve Ball

Steve is correct on the location, but this is not an Indy Unlimited. NATS were not in INDY until 1975 at a different location. This was 1972. The 1st INDY Unlimited would be about 2 months later.

Clue..."Spirits"

This was the only time the INDY Club offered the "Hennessy"...an all MONO race broke down by engine size! Yes, it was sponsored by the cognac company. There was a pontoon boat that made trips about 10' off the bank of the pond to produce some waves (not white caps) avoiding the shoreline where the drivers were poised. The crowd & spectators could take rides on the pontoon boat during the heats. This photo was taken from the pontoon boat.

It was decided in the Sunday Driver's meting to ditch the pontoon boat. The reason for stopping the pontoon had nothing to do with safety. It was some contestants could not set up their monos well enough to run in the waves. Also, the race was taking to long due to all the DNF's.

This was the first BIG RACE the INDY Club hosted...seemed huge to my 9 yr. old eyes. When I say sponsored, I'm talking thousands $ even way back in '72.

I don’t recognize this site at all, where was it.
This pond in the photo was located on the SE corner of I465 & Washington St on Indy's Eastside of town.

The 75 Nats were located on Dandy T Lake which was a pay fishing lake south of Eagle Creek airport. down a steep hill. I received my first Internats trophy in E Hydro this year @ 12 years old (2nd to HOF 'er Mike Meelbusch in SAW). This pond also hosted many Indy Unlimited races..

I'm not sure of the pond's exact location of the 2nd Indy Nats. We had moved away and did not attend. However, many future Indy races took place at the pond you are referring to out west of 465 on Clairmont Rd (136). I was very glad to have moved back in 1986.

MG

In May of 1974 was the first race that I ever attended. It was the Hennesy Cup at Just Add Water Marina. Dee Hughey (Eds' brother) ran the pontoon to make waves. I ran a 20 3D Ruff stuff and took 5th place. That same year I also attended the Indy Unlimited at the same place. The following year, the Indy Unlimited was at a different pond on the west side of town. Thank you, Gary

Not wanting to hijack your thread, but I had some related material. Here is the front cover of the 1975 IMPBA combined Internats & World Enduro Championship. We have a few left over programs. Thanks to David Hughey, Dee Hughey's son for holding on to these for so long.

Mike Yount

Attachments

• IMG_4131.jpg
    IMG_4131.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
This letter appears inside of the cover written by none other than...... Tom Grannis

Attachments

• IMG_4132.jpg
    IMG_4132.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
Tom Grannis also wrote this which is a history of the Indy Model Boat Club. Some big names mentioned.

Attachments

• IMG_4133.jpg
    IMG_4133.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
... and finally, last but not least, this is the "Contest Entry Listing" . A who's who of names for sure. Enjoy.
Mike Yount

Attachments

• IMG_4134.jpg
    IMG_4134.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
In May of 1974 was the first race that I ever attended. It was the Hennesy Cup at Just Add Water Marina. Dee Hughey (Eds' brother) ran the pontoon to make waves. I ran a 20 3D Ruff stuff and took 5th place. That same year I also attended the Indy Unlimited at the same place. The following year, the Indy Unlimited was at a different pond on the west side of town. Thank you, Gary

My error. Yes, 1974... Hennessy was about 2 months prior to the 74 Indy Unlimited. Note, 74 was not the the first Unlimited. A dock was built down the staircase by the water for the 74 unlimited.

Last edited:
... and finally, last but not least, this is the "Contest Entry Listing" . A who's who of names for sure. Enjoy.
Mike Yount
HELLO Mike! fond memories for sure...there are numerous multiple patches from this era along with the same program. It was fantastic being a kid growing up around all my INDY Club family. I had about 15 "Uncles" and 8 Aunts!

Latest posts

Back